ODL 65 Evals Topic

jkaye24
1. Magic Johnson - I think this is a slight reach. Not because Magic isn't great, he is, but because of the other players still left. With the 12th pick I feel like you need one of the elite scorers. That being said, I usually feel like he drops too far. Magic is really good. So much assists and great rebounding along with pretty good scoring and underrated defense. He gives you a lot of flexibility with your roster as you can play him at multiple positions and he has multiple great seasons that can work with different strategies. jkaye24 has proven to be one of the better ODL owners and will find a great way to use Magic.
2. Artis Gilmore - Artis is a great anchor for a team. There are a couple of different seasons you can use for him, but whether you want the slightly higher scoring and better defending version or one of the more efficient versions, he is a great 2nd banana for a team.
3. Larry Nance - Nance is a great 3rd wheel who provides elite D, with good efg%, low turnovers, and decent boards. All three players on this team have multiple seasons that are playable in the ODL so it will be interesting which ones you use.
4. Gerald Wallace - A very expensive fourth round option for what he brings, but that 100 D season is mouth watering.
5. Ryan Anderson - The first pick I am a little perplexed about. I don't know what he gives you that you couldn't have gotten in the next round.
6. Anderson Varejao - Has some really good backup seasons where he does a bit of everything, but he doesn't come cheaply.
6. Boban Marjanovic - Some of the best 6 minutes in the sim!

I am using 89-90 Magic - which is the most expensive version but was worth it especially thanks to the 106 3PM which my team sorely lacks, 74-75 Artis which was a tough squeeze but the rest of the team fit especially with 6 minute Boban right behind him like a glove, 88-89 Nance which is the "discount bin" 100 Def version, and 05-06 GWallace which is the 4.8M version. Love what he brings for 23 Min, just could not fit the expensive one. Anderson was a fit because he pairs well with Nance in terms of usage and minutes, and as mentioned above I really need the 3's. Overall, the team grades similarly to 50+ win teams I had a few seasons ago. Stellar D, above avg rebounding, hopefully enough offense to make a deep run. Don't feel like I drafted a champion though - but perhaps playoff randomness will be on my side.
7/20/2017 7:55 AM
Evals are all caught up! Once the league has started, I will finish with the finals predictions and over/under. Will be all done before the first game starts!
7/20/2017 10:57 AM
I think the George Hill 16-17 season is very interesting
7/20/2017 11:03 AM
Also, were the ODL owners scared off of Kobe and Vince after my Thibs like abuse riding them to a losing effort in the 52 championship?
7/20/2017 11:11 AM
I'm still trying to figure out what 2 point usage guy with 51+ efg%, 80 D at both G positions, 40+ 3pt%, 30+% per, feasible ast%, with low TOs that I 'could have gotten later'..... It's a false statement. Not accurate at all.
7/20/2017 12:06 PM
yeah but it's Kirk Hinrich
7/20/2017 12:31 PM
Posted by milest on 7/20/2017 12:06:00 PM (view original):
I'm still trying to figure out what 2 point usage guy with 51+ efg%, 80 D at both G positions, 40+ 3pt%, 30+% per, feasible ast%, with low TOs that I 'could have gotten later'..... It's a false statement. Not accurate at all.
It's not a false statement. And you're not even using that version of Hinrich.

I am not calling it a bad pick. We both agree that at that point in the draft fit is more important than value. All I am saying is that there were better players available. I stand by that.
7/20/2017 12:32 PM
Great Job on the evals benhoidal. Thanks very much!
7/20/2017 1:44 PM
Ben was too kind with his evaluation of my team. My strategy was 3's and D and trade low assists. I thought Pippen and Draymond were a good start for that. Was really hoping for the freak and pippen. Also predicted there would be lots of available value in the 3rd and 4th with the new 16-17 players. But for whatever reason there wasn't. There's nothing wrong with Buck and Horace, but they did nothing to move my team forward. Good not great D, just ok rebounding. Any rebounding advantage gained with Draymond and Pippen is lost.I do like Kemba where I drafted him, but too little too late. JR and Sabonis are great bench guys, but I drafted too much usage and money and hae had to switch ideal seasons to get under the cap.

I've heard people mention that taking SF early isn't a good idea b/c there's so many. Have never been a believer in that - twice in a row I've grabbed Draymond because he's so flexible. But I'm starting to believe the SF late theory. This team will struggle to make the playoffs. Had such high hopes.
7/22/2017 10:15 AM
Posted by jcred5 on 7/22/2017 10:15:00 AM (view original):
Ben was too kind with his evaluation of my team. My strategy was 3's and D and trade low assists. I thought Pippen and Draymond were a good start for that. Was really hoping for the freak and pippen. Also predicted there would be lots of available value in the 3rd and 4th with the new 16-17 players. But for whatever reason there wasn't. There's nothing wrong with Buck and Horace, but they did nothing to move my team forward. Good not great D, just ok rebounding. Any rebounding advantage gained with Draymond and Pippen is lost.I do like Kemba where I drafted him, but too little too late. JR and Sabonis are great bench guys, but I drafted too much usage and money and hae had to switch ideal seasons to get under the cap.

I've heard people mention that taking SF early isn't a good idea b/c there's so many. Have never been a believer in that - twice in a row I've grabbed Draymond because he's so flexible. But I'm starting to believe the SF late theory. This team will struggle to make the playoffs. Had such high hopes.
Yeah I like each of your picks in a vacuum but don't really like the fit. Interested to see what the final product looks like.

The wing theory is that if you can't get an elite guy in the first or a close to elite guy in the 2nd just wait until later on wings. There are bargain wings in the back end of the draft and not so much for point guards and big guys. Pippen and Dray are both probably close to elite, and so while I think both might be top 24 players (especially Dray) I would probably wait until the 2nd to draft either of them. Just a personal preference however.
7/22/2017 10:22 AM
how often has Oscar not been drafted
7/22/2017 2:32 PM
Like the team name analysis, the Clark Kellogg one is owned by rubnsly and not me FWIW.
8/9/2017 12:21 PM
Thanks for the positive eval ben. If it were the 52 mil league, I would def use the best Kareem season. I got burned by lack of defense last season so I decided to go this route, plus it allowed me to go woth better seasons of other guys. But yeah I hate not using the best season for him.

I definitely got lazy on the team name. Next time I will step it up!
8/9/2017 1:43 PM
"Overall: Deep and very efficient. Not the Drexler season I would use, and I don't really like your backup usage much, but overall I think this is a very solid team. Playoff team with a chance at the division title."

My guess is that you prefer the 94-95 Drexler (I can't rationalize another season) because for a little less money and defense, you also get a lot more threes, better eFG, better boards, less fouls/turnovers. I think in a vacuum it is a better season. In context though, I decided it was better to use 91-92 due to its better positional flexibility, higher assists and most importantly the extra two points of usage. I wanted enough usage points between him and Kawhi that I could keep bench light on costs and not have to reach for usage on other players. That was my thought process at least.
8/9/2017 2:39 PM

Overall: More minutes than you are going to use and the offense is very poor. But look at that defense!!! Five 100 defenders, plus others who are pretty good. I have to be honest, this team is one of my hardest to rank. Not quite sure how the extremely good D will work with the poor O. Just outside the playoffs but there is a lot of variance here.

great evals - this squad is very much a test of a theory kind of situation - I wont elaborate more than to say it's not just about d rating but also blk %s - not sure I will too many games but am interested in what my opp fg% winds up looking like

8/9/2017 2:56 PM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7|8|9 Next ▸
ODL 65 Evals Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.