ODL 65 Evals Topic

good work ben! I passed on Duncan at the top of 2nd Rd. and my head told me "Stupid!"
Harden wasn't anywhere near the top of my list but couldn't resist a bit of folly and see how
2016-17 would do.
Maybe it'll work out and Zorba will make a deep playoff run or not.
I'm also using 16-17 P Gasol which is actually a good year for him.
Also 16-17 Mark West @ SF.
1/3 of Zorba's roster is latest release. Might win 50 or lose 50?
8/9/2017 6:20 PM (edited)
Posted by copernicus on 8/9/2017 2:56:00 PM (view original):

Overall: More minutes than you are going to use and the offense is very poor. But look at that defense!!! Five 100 defenders, plus others who are pretty good. I have to be honest, this team is one of my hardest to rank. Not quite sure how the extremely good D will work with the poor O. Just outside the playoffs but there is a lot of variance here.

great evals - this squad is very much a test of a theory kind of situation - I wont elaborate more than to say it's not just about d rating but also blk %s - not sure I will too many games but am interested in what my opp fg% winds up looking like

It has been a while, so I could be rusty, but if I recall block% is kind of broke. First the SIM determines if a field goal is missed based on D, shooting %, other factors. Then, after it has been determined to be a miss, it then determines if it is a block. So, while it could impact what is happening with missed field goals (less rebounds, out of bounds, fast breaks), I don't believe it will have the effect you are hypothesizing on missed FG%.
8/9/2017 6:44 PM
Posted by robusk on 8/9/2017 6:44:00 PM (view original):

Overall: More minutes than you are going to use and the offense is very poor. But look at that defense!!! Five 100 defenders, plus others who are pretty good. I have to be honest, this team is one of my hardest to rank. Not quite sure how the extremely good D will work with the poor O. Just outside the playoffs but there is a lot of variance here.

great evals - this squad is very much a test of a theory kind of situation - I wont elaborate more than to say it's not just about d rating but also blk %s - not sure I will too many games but am interested in what my opp fg% winds up looking like

It has been a while, so I could be rusty, but if I recall block% is kind of broke. First the SIM determines if a field goal is missed based on D, shooting %, other factors. Then, after it has been determined to be a miss, it then determines if it is a block. So, while it could impact what is happening with missed field goals (less rebounds, out of bounds, fast breaks), I don't believe it will have the effect you are hypothesizing on missed FG%.
No, it actually directly affects the opposing fg% on 2-point field goals. The problem is that's it's unclear how much of an effect it has and whether it's worse the high price tag.
8/9/2017 6:57 PM
Posted by seapilots on 8/9/2017 6:20:00 PM (view original):
good work ben! I passed on Duncan at the top of 2nd Rd. and my head told me "Stupid!"
Harden wasn't anywhere near the top of my list but couldn't resist a bit of folly and see how
2016-17 would do.
Maybe it'll work out and Zorba will make a deep playoff run or not.
I'm also using 16-17 P Gasol which is actually a good year for him.
Also 16-17 Mark West @ SF.
1/3 of Zorba's roster is latest release. Might win 50 or lose 50?
I kinda wish you would have taken Duncan. I would have taken Penny and eleibowitz wouldn't have gotten such a great three some haha

And this 16-17 class is deep! I grabbed that version of Pau in the third round of the season draft and love him.
8/9/2017 6:58 PM

blk% like stl% effects both the causal chain (allegedly) and the cosmetic output - the question is how much
8/9/2017 7:41 PM
Posted by benhoidal on 8/9/2017 6:57:00 PM (view original):

No, it actually directly affects the opposing fg% on 2-point field goals. The problem is that's it's unclear how much of an effect it has and whether it's worse the high price tag.
But is that correlation or causation (did more missed twos results in more blocks or vice versa)? How have you validated that? I have never seen any evidence presented on this but I am not as active as you are.
8/9/2017 7:51 PM (edited)
I was trying to find the conversation on this from several years ago but had no luck.
8/9/2017 8:02 PM
Posted by robusk on 8/9/2017 7:51:00 PM (view original):

But is that correlation or causation (did more missed twos results in more blocks or vice versa)? How have you validated that? I have never seen any evidence presented on this but I am not as active as you are.
It's laid out in the FAQ under gameplay. Blk% definitely has an effect on FG%, but its part of help defense and not individual defense. A shot is affected by the individual defender's Def rating and to a lesser extent the Def rating and blk% of all five defenders.

The question though is how much of an effect it has on fg%.
8/9/2017 8:09 PM
Posted by benhoidal on 8/9/2017 8:10:00 PM (view original):
Posted by robusk on 8/9/2017 7:51:00 PM (view original):

It's laid out in the FAQ under gameplay. Blk% definitely has an effect on FG%, but its part of help defense and not individual defense. A shot is affected by the individual defender's Def rating and to a lesser extent the Def rating and blk% of all five defenders.

The question though is how much of an effect it has on fg%.
Hmm, I dunno. That is not how I read these two statements. In fact, I read them the opposite of what you are saying. EDIT: Actually, reread and the key line is: Block% is a component that impacts an opposing player's shooting percentage. The information contained as a whole from the two quotes seems a little contradictory but I guess I am back to square one on how I interpret the block% stat now I guess,

Q. What is Block%
A. Block% is an estimate of the percentage of the opposing team's missed field goals that the defensive player blocked while on the floor. In the SimEngine, Block% is a component that impacts an opposing player's shooting percentage. On a missed shot attempt it's used to determine whether the shot was blocked. If there was a block on the play, it's used to determine who got the block.

Q. How do defensive ratings affect the SimEngine results?
A. The defensive rating of a particular player impacts the FG% of the player he is guarding as well as a lesser effect on the FG% of the other 4 offensive players, which simulates help defense.

I am not definitively saying you are wrong, but rather I haven't seen any data or commentary from admin that backs that up. Of course, my side of the take is an antecdotal memory of some in depth conversation ages ago so it isn't like I am producing anything other than pasted text.
8/9/2017 9:17 PM (edited)
^ go to the FAQ under gameplay. Then go to How does the simleague basketball sim engine work? Then go to number 5
8/9/2017 9:26 PM

but rather I haven't seen any data or commentary from admin....

Let me stop you right there... when was the last time you saw ANY data or commentary from those tw@ts?
8/9/2017 9:36 PM (edited)

Block% is a component that impacts an opposing player's shooting percentage.

seems to me that this is pretty straightforward - there is a miss-make equation that considers a lot of factors (pace setting, as% on floor, shot efficiency, opp drating, 5 on floor d rating, zone setting etc) and this apparently is one of them
8/9/2017 9:37 PM (edited)
I'm really good at drafting 38 win teams.
8/9/2017 10:04 PM
Exactly right: 3
Within 5 games: 13
Within 10 games: 5
Big Whiffs: 3 (vancem, scudmissle, uptowngbv. Think I get a pass on the last two)

over/under: 14-10 (including getting my push right!)

Bold Predictions: 3-5 (2 still undecided)

Playoff teams: 8/12

Division Winners: 3/4

2nd round teams:

Semi-Finals:

Finals:

Champion?:
9/20/2017 10:41 AM
Posted by benhoidal on 9/20/2017 10:42:00 AM (view original):
Exactly right: 3
Within 5 games: 13
Within 10 games: 5
Big Whiffs: 3 (vancem, scudmissle, uptowngbv. Think I get a pass on the last two)

over/under: 14-10 (including getting my push right!)

Bold Predictions: 3-5 (2 still undecided)

Playoff teams: 8/12

Division Winners: 3/4

2nd round teams:

Semi-Finals:

Finals:

Champion?:
10. The central will have the best record among the divisions.

This was probably your biggest whiff, save maybe vancem, considering that the Central actually finished last by a pretty considerable margin (-40 versus +16, +8 and +18 respectively).

Pretty good job on most of them. Dishin' and Swishin' leading the league in scoring despite not playing uptempo for the first 10 or so games is a good get.
9/21/2017 1:15 PM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9 Next ▸
ODL 65 Evals Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.