Why did you pick your team? Topic

I thought it would be interesting to hear some of the stories behind why people are coaching at certain schools.

Here are mine:
IUPUI (Phelan) - Hometown school and got my masters degree from there. It stands for Indiana University Purdue University at Indianapolis, but we pronounce it Oo-Ee-Poo-Ee around here. Definitely adds a fun element to the game when you actually have a connection to the school.
Occidental (Knight) - This was the 2nd team I picked up and I wanted to find the most full and competitive conference I could at the D3 level.
SUNY Farmingdale (Tarkanian) - Hoping to work my way up to D1 in Tark, but wanted to start with a total rebuild and try recruiting on the east coast.
7/7/2017 7:04 PM
I have a weird, possibly unhealthy obsession with Los Angeles. I've been there before, I want to move there, I have a massive California map on my wall. So when I first signed up for WIS, in Wooden, I also reserved Occidental College purely because it was in LA. I didn't expect to leave after only one season. I paid zero attention to ATH or DEF or class structure. I just wanted to coach in LA. So naturally, UCLA and USC are always on my radar.

When I recently took a second team in Iba, I knew what to look for and my Marymont team got to the second round of the NT.

Nice to see another Indiana guy, slay. I'm from the northwest corner, right near Chicago.
7/7/2017 7:12 PM
Posted by pallas on 7/7/2017 7:12:00 PM (view original):
I have a weird, possibly unhealthy obsession with Los Angeles. I've been there before, I want to move there, I have a massive California map on my wall. So when I first signed up for WIS, in Wooden, I also reserved Occidental College purely because it was in LA. I didn't expect to leave after only one season. I paid zero attention to ATH or DEF or class structure. I just wanted to coach in LA. So naturally, UCLA and USC are always on my radar.

When I recently took a second team in Iba, I knew what to look for and my Marymont team got to the second round of the NT.

Nice to see another Indiana guy, slay. I'm from the northwest corner, right near Chicago.
Haha, definitely nice to someone else from Indiana. I think most of us in the Midwest have some level of obsession with Cali. I've traveled there more times than I can count, but always loving going back, especially to So Cal.

Also noticed that you have Purdue in Wooden now. That's my original alma mater, so I'll definitely be looking to coach the Boilermakers once my resume gets to the Big 6 level. Slayter Hill is actually the prime tailgating area at Purdue for football games...hence my username.
7/7/2017 7:27 PM
My buddy had just got a place in San Diego when I was rejoining the game. Got the urge to play again and San Diego was open so I just went with it.

7/7/2017 7:30 PM
Posted by slayterhill on 7/7/2017 7:27:00 PM (view original):
Posted by pallas on 7/7/2017 7:12:00 PM (view original):

Haha, definitely nice to someone else from Indiana. I think most of us in the Midwest have some level of obsession with Cali. I've traveled there more times than I can count, but always loving going back, especially to So Cal.

Also noticed that you have Purdue in Wooden now. That's my original alma mater, so I'll definitely be looking to coach the Boilermakers once my resume gets to the Big 6 level. Slayter Hill is actually the prime tailgating area at Purdue for football games...hence my username.
If you ever want to join a one-game-a-day world, let me know. You can have Purdue when I head to UCLA. :)
7/7/2017 7:42 PM
Ozarks (Rupp) - At the time I was playing in the IAC (D3) and the good coaches that had been in there had recently left. One coach (phalla) went to the UAA and since I had enjoyed competing against him, I decided to follow him to that conference. The UAA was the best D3 conference in Rupp (and still is) so there was a recruiting edge over the other conferences. And of the two or three teams available at the time, Ozarks seemed to have best location relative to the rest of the conference. It's basically NW of every other school in the conference, so I felt I'd have an advantage for any recruits to the north and west of Ozarks. Also, Ozarks didn't have much history for success and I wanted to make a team more successful than it had ever been.

Penn St, Behrend (Crum) - I had taken some time off from HD for some personal reasons and decided to come back. Some of the coaches I had become friendly with were coaching in the Freedom Conference at the time and like the UAA in Rupp, it was also the best D3 conference in its world. I liked the challenged of playing against top coaches, so I decided to join the conference. Penn St, Behrend was also a team that hadn't had any success at the time, so I picked them.

Texas, Tyler (Iba) - I was enjoying the two worlds I was in (Rupp and Crum) and, having played in Iba before, I knew its season start was evenly spaced in between Rupp and Crum and that there would be no overlap during the recruiting and signing periods of the three worlds. That way I could concentrate just on one world at a time. After rebuilding Ozarks and Penn St, Behrend, I wasn't too interested in a rebuild again and Texas, Tyler had the highest prestige at sign up time, so I picked them. So any success I have there, I'll give some credit to sweetpeapapa and theOnlyis - two very good coaches.
7/7/2017 8:19 PM (edited)
Auburn- I wanted a highish baseline D1 team and that was the best I could do.

Fordham- I kinda dig the Ivy's (even though Fordham isn't really). I wanted Cornell (because I flunked out of there) but it was taken.

Grand Canyon- I like the location.

Gettysburg- This is actually my second trip there, I left the first time because like zero recruits are within 70 miles. That doesn't matter anymore. I picked there because I wanted a midwest team.

Puerto Rico, Something- I wanted a PR team.

NYU- It's been so long I can't remember. Probably picked it because I know the local geography.

Mississippi College- I picked that one up because Whitey and Beachouse were complaining about something so I wanted to join a conference and beat them.
7/7/2017 8:30 PM
U of Indianapolis:

Wanted U of Sciences (team looked good) and literally misclicked and didn't notice until it was too late.

Weber St:
6 seniors and nice location.

NW Nazarene:
Team looked the best. Prime location.

I'm a Chicago guy. Grew up in the burbs and used to work there. I root for Illinois. Chapellhillne is at Illinois in my world. Not moving anytime soon.
7/7/2017 9:09 PM
I have tendency to own New England schools cuz it's cool to me to recognize towns and high schools. I've had a couple of players from my high school.

Crum:
Albertus Magnus: nearby in New Haven, great name, friend went there, affiliated with Providence. First ever team from back in Sept 2013.
Merrimack: rivals with PC in Hockey East.
Holy Cross: nearby in Worcester, old rivalry with Providence.
Providence: favorite team, grew up 3 miles from the campus. ARomano left, was vacant, and i qualified.

Naismith:
Albertus Magnus: i previously had these guys in Crum, so sentimental, planned on staying forever, but qualified unexpectedly straight to Boston U.
Boston University: i qualified directly from Div-3, familiar with area, i park there for Red Sox games.

Smith:
Martin Luther: joined a 3rd world because the0nly promised a CCIW Superconference, but he left after 2 seasons so i went to Honolulu.
Hawaii Pacific: wanted to see how things rolled in Hawaii. Loved my time there.
Vermont: wanted a New England school, and remoteness, and access to Quebec targets, plus love the state. Cousin went there.

Rupp:
St Olaf: part of the Rupp population boom thing. Wanted Midwest team, and Garrison Keillor used to mention them a lot.
7/7/2017 10:55 PM (edited)
Nebraska (Naismith) because it was my ultimate destination job when I first started playing, but surrendered a D2 team of 50+ seasons to finally take it because I was about ready to rage-quit the game over my distaste for D2 recruiting under the new system.

BYU (Allen) because I was stupid and thought they had a better baseline than Utah and I wanted to see if it was a strategically nice place to recruit from in 3.0 (jury's still out on that one...only in season 2)

Emory (Rupp) because it was in a strong conference with a lot of rock-solid coaches and I love playing in bloodbath conferences. Plus Simmy hadn't run it completely into the ground yet so it was better than the other opening the league had that season.

Nebraska Wesleyan (Wooden) because I wanted to build a program from nothing and thought this was a great location with an all-Sim conference near some good D2 recruit generation ground.

Part of me wants to find an open Maine-Presque Isle team at take it...that was my first school ever in HD and it was hell to recruit from. Curious if 3.0 has changed the recruiting feel there or not.
7/7/2017 10:13 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 7/7/2017 8:30:00 PM (view original):
Auburn- I wanted a highish baseline D1 team and that was the best I could do.

Fordham- I kinda dig the Ivy's (even though Fordham isn't really). I wanted Cornell (because I flunked out of there) but it was taken.

Grand Canyon- I like the location.

Gettysburg- This is actually my second trip there, I left the first time because like zero recruits are within 70 miles. That doesn't matter anymore. I picked there because I wanted a midwest team.

Puerto Rico, Something- I wanted a PR team.

NYU- It's been so long I can't remember. Probably picked it because I know the local geography.

Mississippi College- I picked that one up because Whitey and Beachouse were complaining about something so I wanted to join a conference and beat them.
How's MC going for you so far? lol
7/7/2017 11:27 PM
Hawaii DI - My personal favorite in HD...by far.
Grand Canyon - My favorite DII school. If there are no humans in New Mexico, GC is a dominant location.
Virginia - Bad location in 3.0 but I'm trying to make a go at it. I should have held out for Miami, which I would qualified for if I had stayed at Marquette. Good thing is Virginia has a good baseline and with any success, I can grab an A prestige school. There are plenty available these days.
Montana State - Very good location in 3.9 but I'm only using it to get a 2nd Hawaii team.
Delaware State - I'm not staying. I only took it because it had been years since I have run a FB/Press team. Still don't like FB/Press.

p.s. Had both Palm Beach Atlantic and Colorado College (DIII) during BETA. Should have held onto that PBAC team, apparently.
7/8/2017 12:08 AM
Pallas, not everyone from Midwest has an obsession with California! I'm from SE Ohio, passed through California on my way back from Viet Nam in 1973!
Faced the usual protesters, but was more scared in a 1 hour cab ride from Travis AFB to San Francisco airport than I ever was in the Nam! I made certain that I left nothing in California...no reason to ever go back!
7/8/2017 8:16 AM
On 2nd thought it was 1972.
7/8/2017 8:19 AM
Ohio is not the Midwest. No one looking at a map would say that. Me being from the Midwest (Iowa) also has a love affair with Cali. The music from rock, metal, and Cali roots reggae. The rose bowl being from a big ten state. The weather!!!! The surf, skate, snowboard and wakeboard lifestyle. California has it all, now that I'm almost 40 maybe I can convince the wife that it's time to leave the frozen tundra of North Dakota behind.

so naturally I have Cal in HD
7/8/2017 8:54 AM
123 Next ▸
Why did you pick your team? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.