Why did you pick your team? Topic

I truly only belong to three worlds, other worlds I play in is just to practice or boredom.

Phelan : I wanted to jump to a big six team, and I chose the first I felt was fun in Clemson. I have been there forever.

Rupp : I started at Clarkson, was hooked by the way recruiting worked but did not understand much. Then I moved to Truman State and ended up destroying the team with back-to-back awful recruiting periods. I then moved the only place I could... I think I had three offers so I moved to Western New Mexico and I have been there forever.

IBA: I wanted to play with nice owners, I went to Pfeiffer but it's been really tough in the Carolinas since 3.0..
7/8/2017 9:02 AM
One of my D1 teams because it is my Alma Mater (UTSA). All of my D3 teams were chosen because of the conference they were in, geographic location or because somebody asked me to join their conference.
7/8/2017 9:16 AM
"Ohio is not the Midwest. No one looking at a map would say that." The midwest starts about 20 minutes outside Philly....
7/8/2017 9:21 AM
Joined Iba and saw my alma mater Randolph-Macon was available and had been previously coached by a a guy (makowski33) I graduated with. Dont know if I'll ever give it up.

Rupp - took Richmond due to my love of John Belien
7/8/2017 9:52 AM
Smith-WCSU. The Little East was a completely empty and I wanted to get 11 HBD leaguemates in with me. Just picked WCSU randomly.
Rupp-Greenwood. I run motion/zone in Smith. Wanted different O/D. Greenwood ran FB/man. I took them because of that. Had I known I'd completely turn over the roster in 2 seasons, I guess I could have picked anywhere.

I never looked at rosters or scholarships. Both teams were talentless for the most part.
7/8/2017 11:01 AM
Chestnut Hill - Pretty much random. I gathered up a few buddies to start playing HD and we chose the Capital conference since it had a bunch of openings. After I signed up I couldn't even remember who I picked. I thought for awhile I had chosen Goucher

NMSU - Got a little bored at D3 and wanted to try out D1. Have a buddy who is an NMSU alum so I thought that'd be funny.

CNU - A few of other users on here had some openings in USA S and convinced me to join.

SDSU- A few other users on here wanted to see if we could make a super conference in a mid major so we chose MWC which already had a few really good coaches. Took like 8 seasons to finally get to D1.
7/8/2017 11:05 AM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 7/8/2017 9:21:00 AM (view original):
"Ohio is not the Midwest. No one looking at a map would say that." The midwest starts about 20 minutes outside Philly....
Pretty much. I live in Ohio but I'm from NY.

It's not so much a location thing, it's a cultural thing.
7/8/2017 11:06 AM
I'm not there yet, but one day I might take St. Olaf, because Rose Nyland makes it sound swell.
7/8/2017 11:35 AM
Posted by all2matt on 7/8/2017 8:54:00 AM (view original):
Ohio is not the Midwest. No one looking at a map would say that. Me being from the Midwest (Iowa) also has a love affair with Cali. The music from rock, metal, and Cali roots reggae. The rose bowl being from a big ten state. The weather!!!! The surf, skate, snowboard and wakeboard lifestyle. California has it all, now that I'm almost 40 maybe I can convince the wife that it's time to leave the frozen tundra of North Dakota behind.

so naturally I have Cal in HD
Where at in North Dakota? Lived in Dickinson for 4+ years prior to the oil boom craziness hitting the western side of the state.
7/8/2017 11:58 AM
Ohio is absolutely part of the Midwest. It's one of the only things I'm sure about. Not that I want to distract from what this thread is really about -- California.

I had been obsessed with LA for a number of years by the time I made it out there last December. My dad and I spent an afternoon at Griffith Observatory. Before going inside to see a show about planets (I know), we had lunch out on the balcony overlooking the Hollywood sign. He talked about his time in the Navy and I listened. It was a pretty nice lunch.

He fell asleep during the show about planets and started snoring.
7/8/2017 12:03 PM
I have a team in every world: All of the schools sound like real places to me(Example: CSU-Bakersfield). I would never coach a team like Occidental college. I know it's a place, I wouldn't have a clue where to start looking. I also have to like the colors. If I don't like the colors, I won't take the team.
7/8/2017 11:03 PM
Fort Hays State (Iba)- Alma mater and a town I am very familiar with. Spent most of my life in Kansas and still live in Kansas.

San Diego State (Rupp)-For some reason I have always liked the Aztecs. Personally I find PAC-12 schools too pretentious. Their turning down a deal to get Texas and Oklahoma just because it included a religious school (Baylor) was snobbish and stupid. Love to drag down the Pac12 conference. Saw a good group of coaches in the Mountain West Conference and figured I could work with them to build a power conference on the West coast. Found out since some of the top coaches in the conference are winding down their credits. Now it is down to just Survival and trying to bring the Mountain West some credibility.and looking for other coaches to come in and build programs or replace what we are losing in the MWC. I learned to check with other coaches first before joining a "mostly full" conference.

Baylor (Smith)- Not a huge fan of many teams in the Big 6 conferences and Baylor is one of about 7 that I would consider. Wanted to have one Big 6 team and decided the best place for me was the Big 12 in Smith. A great group of coaches that I wanted to learn from and hopefully compete with in time. Found out we have a great group of warriors in this conference as we have started conference battles with two other Big 6 conferences. Very happy with this choice.

Penn (Allen)- Born in Pennsylvania and would love to move back there. Wife's preference for Kansas, parents poor health, and recently paralyzed brother means the beautiful mountains and greenery of Pennsylvania is only a pipe dream. Still claim it as my home state. My favorite D1 school is Penn State and they are taken. Penn was an opportunity in the Ivy and the other consideration was Army (because of family military history). Sent sitemails to Patriot League and Ivy League coaches to find out if they were staying and asked them to give me the best pitch for joining them. Courtmagic and todd43615 responded quickly with a great pitch. Deal was sealed. Watch out. Here comes the Quakers!

Southern Mississippi- Like many of my teams I chose to move to D1 when 3.0 rolled out because I thought competing at D1 no longer requires multiple teams in a world. I have only one in any world at this time. Mountain West and Conference USA are conferences I always enjoyed watching in sports. Also wanted to try a conference stacked with coaches and spread out enough for everyone to build for greatness. Coaches talk and chat. Thought for many years Southern Miss. is a potential giant with its location in the south and not terribly far from talent rich Texas and Florida. I know overcoming the looming SEC and ACC would be challenges but I am willing to take that risk. Coaches have been great and I am proud of what we are building.

P.S. Not fascinated with LA or California. Give me Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Chicago,Detroit, Atlanta, Miami, or any number of cities before LA, California. Been there and found it rather mundane. A movie quote I will alter to express my take on LA goes like this "LA you have been weighed, measured, and found wanting"....As for California there are some nice cities and towns I like but nothing that steals my heart.
7/9/2017 6:20 PM (edited)
Posted by rednu on 7/8/2017 11:58:00 AM (view original):
Ohio is not the Midwest. No one looking at a map would say that. Me being from the Midwest (Iowa) also has a love affair with Cali. The music from rock, metal, and Cali roots reggae. The rose bowl being from a big ten state. The weather!!!! The surf, skate, snowboard and wakeboard lifestyle. California has it all, now that I'm almost 40 maybe I can convince the wife that it's time to leave the frozen tundra of North Dakota behind.

Where at in North Dakota? Lived in Dickinson for 4+ years prior to the oil boom craziness hitting the western side of the state.
Bismarck, been here 8 yrs, I grew up doing lots of water sports so for me ND just doesn't have an appeal to me that a hunter or fisher would up here. I love surfing, wake surfing, wakeboarding, and snowboarding. We are atleast within range of Big Sky/Bozeman so that helps.
7/9/2017 10:51 AM
Posted by all2matt on 7/9/2017 10:51:00 AM (view original):
Posted by rednu on 7/8/2017 11:58:00 AM (view original):

Bismarck, been here 8 yrs, I grew up doing lots of water sports so for me ND just doesn't have an appeal to me that a hunter or fisher would up here. I love surfing, wake surfing, wakeboarding, and snowboarding. We are atleast within range of Big Sky/Bozeman so that helps.
This is my Cal ID. And I still stick by my Ohio not Midwest assumption, Indiana is about where line is for me. Ohio/WV are to me is definitely more east coast or Appalachian. Michigan is the north just like Wisconsin and Minnesota. To me Ohio is as much Midwest as Missouri is the south, neither make any sense to me when people try to say that.
7/9/2017 10:58 AM (edited)
Posted by pallas on 7/7/2017 7:42:00 PM (view original):
Posted by slayterhill on 7/7/2017 7:27:00 PM (view original):
Posted by pallas on 7/7/2017 7:12:00 PM (view original):
I have a weird, possibly unhealthy obsession with Los Angeles. I've been there before, I want to move there, I have a massive California map on my wall. So when I first signed up for WIS, in Wooden, I also reserved Occidental College purely because it was in LA. I didn't expect to leave after only one season. I paid zero attention to ATH or DEF or class structure. I just wanted to coach in LA. So naturally, UCLA and USC are always on my radar.

When I recently took a second team in Iba, I knew what to look for and my Marymont team got to the second round of the NT.

Nice to see another Indiana guy, slay. I'm from the northwest corner, right near Chicago.
Haha, definitely nice to someone else from Indiana. I think most of us in the Midwest have some level of obsession with Cali. I've traveled there more times than I can count, but always loving going back, especially to So Cal.

Also noticed that you have Purdue in Wooden now. That's my original alma mater, so I'll definitely be looking to coach the Boilermakers once my resume gets to the Big 6 level. Slayter Hill is actually the prime tailgating area at Purdue for football games...hence my username.
If you ever want to join a one-game-a-day world, let me know. You can have Purdue when I head to UCLA. :)
Nah I'm beating u there! Feel free to have SC or Stanford!

;)
7/9/2017 10:55 AM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Why did you pick your team? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.