Best role for this pitcher? Topic

I'm using 66' Fergie Jenkins in a theme league and trying to figure out where he's best suited to help maximize his impact.

He has 182 IP/162 but in RL he made 12 starts and 48 relief appearances. So his IP/G is only 3.0 and I'm assuming as a SP he'll suffer a lot of fatigue issues. But he's better than any other SP I have, so I'd like to use him there if he'll be successful.

The other option is to make him a workhorse reliever and spot starter and hope he helps keep me in games while my potent offense tries to come through.

I just haven't tried a guy with low IP/G in the rotation before and don't know what to expect if I do.

https://www.whatifsports.com/mlb-l/playerprofile.asp?ID=42219251&pl=False&type=1
7/9/2017 3:22 PM
Posted by redcped on 7/9/2017 3:22:00 PM (view original):
I'm using 66' Fergie Jenkins in a theme league and trying to figure out where he's best suited to help maximize his impact.

He has 182 IP/162 but in RL he made 12 starts and 48 relief appearances. So his IP/G is only 3.0 and I'm assuming as a SP he'll suffer a lot of fatigue issues. But he's better than any other SP I have, so I'd like to use him there if he'll be successful.

The other option is to make him a workhorse reliever and spot starter and hope he helps keep me in games while my potent offense tries to come through.

I just haven't tried a guy with low IP/G in the rotation before and don't know what to expect if I do.

https://www.whatifsports.com/mlb-l/playerprofile.asp?ID=42219251&pl=False&type=1
Unless you're gonna do a tandem where he throws 50 pitches before he gets subbed out, it's not worth it to start him. I've made that mistake before, have a guy with 100+ innings but only like a 4 IP/G and made him a starting pitcher (Kris Medlen) and it failed miserably, he had like a 10 ERA before I switched him to the bullpen
7/9/2017 4:07 PM
Do not start him. IP/G determines how many pitches a pitcher can throw in a single game before becoming fatigued. Just like you see in the Manager Center, this fatigue goes from 100 to 0.

It does not matter whether you plan to spot start him or put him in the rotation. He is not equipped to make starts in this game (with a full pitch count) and doing so will dramatically reduce the probability that you will win the game.

A tandem or alternating starts with a low pitch count could work (the key being the low pitch count) but that will silo off his effectiveness for your team. He's better off in the pen where he can hold leads and impact a higher number of games.
7/9/2017 4:10 PM (edited)
Then I have him in the right place, I guess. I don't think I have the right guy to tandem with him, so the bullpen it is.

Thanks for the advice!
7/9/2017 6:36 PM
Game 2, Jenkins comes in down 7-3 in the 6th, pitches four 1-hit innings, and we rally to win 8-7.

Couldn't have scripted that any better. Let's hope it's a sign for the rest of the season.
7/11/2017 2:02 PM
I jinxed him. Gave up 4 runs in less than an inning next time out, including a 3-run bomb to some guy named Ruth.
7/11/2017 6:35 PM
Posted by redcped on 7/11/2017 6:35:00 PM (view original):
I jinxed him. Gave up 4 runs in less than an inning next time out, including a 3-run bomb to some guy named Ruth.
Who?
7/11/2017 6:53 PM
First idea.Tandem 3Ain a 3-man rotation. He'll need a little over 3ip/g to get all of his innings. You can get around that by setting pitch counts where one or both of the first two SP gets skipped over because of fatigue a few times. That way het gets his 60 starts without going over the 3ip/g limit. Or if you're an active manager manually move the SPs around but that's a lot of work.
Second idea. He's your only Setup A and your SPs don't pitch too deep into the games. Otherwise it's hard to get all of his innings out of the bullpen.
7/11/2017 11:35 PM (edited)
Best role for this pitcher? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.