DITRs and Reaching Projections Topic

Has anyone done an analysis on how DITRs progress following the DITR discovery? Anecdotally, I feel like I'm seeing fewer DITRs, on my team and others approach their projections. Is it just that it takes them closer to age 27 to get there because their development (typically) occurs later in their minor league career?
7/9/2017 4:36 PM
What I'm seeing is that there are different grades of DITR that you can determine by the message the coach gives you when the DITR message comes. The highest grade of DITR seems more likely to both have higher projections and a greater ability to develop at older ages and reach those projections. For whatever reason the projections are also far more accurate than my 0 advanced scouting deserves.
7/9/2017 5:16 PM
I'm tracking it but its early on. Looking at this guy:
Adrianza, Pablo C https://www.whatifsports.com/hbd/Pages/Popups/PlayerRatings.aspx?pid=8139021

When he was drafted, he was headed for a 26/61/63/26/10 for Con/Pwr/vL/vR/Eye based on 20 Col scouting. Had a 49 makeup.

Became DITR same year.

4 seasons after he's at 53/79/70/56/34 and in the last season (his fourth year) he picked up 6 on Con, 6 on vL, 6 on vR, and 4 on Eye. And get this, he's only at a 61 makeup. Thats not bad. He probably is going to gain some more. He's already a very good defensive catcher and is headed for a possible 87/90 PC.

Seems as though from this and a couple of other examples I've followed, that the earlier a player gets DITR from his draft/INT signing year, and the higher his pre-DITR projections, the more likely he's gonna become a viable BL regular (as long as he isn't injured, is played enough, promoted, etc).

As to how to 'cultivate' DITRs, I'm not sure. Seems you can't project a future DITR.

So - really - its just a matter of:
Draft as well as you can.
Get ALL players as much playing time as you can - measured in Games played.
Keep as many active as you can.
Make sure that they are active during the DITR period after the ASG.

And after DITR:
Make sure they start and continue to play in as many games as possible
Promote appropriately
Pair them with good coaches.
Maximize their use in Spring Training.

In other words, do as Tec, Mike, and others say:
Pay attention to your draft. Maintain your minors. Keep good players with good coaching. And finally, forget about what they - will - be. Too much can happen before they reach any projections anyway.
7/9/2017 5:17 PM
I don't know how it's determined but some DITR's get huge bumps while others get the shaft. I've seen 40+ points for a given category. I believe the highest jump I saw in a single cycle was 4 (5 maybe?) points after spring training, followed by a bunch of 3 point bumps.

Sometimes you miss out on a bunch of development points because a player got the DITR bump after 2 or 3 seasons and you didn't play him prior to becoming DITR.

Not sure I buy the whole "earlier they get the bump the better chance they have to become a stud" theory. Trinidad Melo got the DITR in his 4th year and is one of the best I've seen.

For a while I tried targeting 20 or so guys in each draft that I thought would make good DITR candidates in the 50-60 OVR range. But after 6 or 7 drafts none of them got the bump, only the really low OVR garbage players. Too much effort for no payoff. (I wonder if they cut-off for DITR eligibility isn't lower?)
7/10/2017 2:44 AM (edited)
While you can't project who will be a DITR, I think you can project who won't be one. So you can kind of narrow it down that way. DITR's get huge boosts, so someone who already has a very high rating like stamina, won't be able to get a huge boost. DITR's usually have to be sub par to par in all categories. So someone who has like a 45 overall rating but already has like an 88 stamina, they probably won't be a DITR.
7/10/2017 11:01 AM
Quote post by sjpoker on 7/9/2017 5:17:00 PM:

"Seems as though from this and a couple of other examples I've followed, that the earlier a player gets DITR from his draft/INT signing year, and the higher his pre-DITR projections, the more likely he's gonna become a viable BL regular (as long as he isn't injured, is played enough, promoted, etc).

"As to how to 'cultivate' DITRs, I'm not sure. Seems you can't project a future DITR."

You can cultivate DitRs with a modicum of effort. Not an individual players; but you can run a bunch of guys who are reasonably likely to get DitRs and who are reasonably likely to become ML players if they do get them, and have a reasonable expectation that out of the bunch one or two will emerge.

To get a DitR, the "true projected" overall has to be high 50s or worse. It's essentially impossible for a high DUR player to project that badly unless he's so terrible that a DitR won't make him a major league player. Also, different categories contribute differently to the overall rating. For these reason, most useful DitRs (not all) are catchers with modest DUR or low ST pitchers.

I routinely put a group of catchers who look like they could become good with a DitR at the tail end of my draft list, usually drafting them in the 4th-5th round or so. I ask for guys like this as throw-ins in trades as well. Enough of them get DitRs, and become good enough, that this ends up being how I get a substantial portion of my major league catchers even when I'm winning 90-100 games.

All these were intentional:

PJ Dirks
Anthony Nagy
Lee Justice
Rafael Guillen
Steve Leonard
Ernest Mann
Luis Lee

I may have missed a few.
7/10/2017 4:48 PM
DITRs and Reaching Projections Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.