Why do these guys suck? Topic

FWIW, this thread has actually been informative (if not entertaining).

Someone ranked all the Worlds several years ago. Do we have anything more recent that shows something similar?
7/14/2017 3:27 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/14/2017 2:03:00 PM (view original):
I stopped here "well I already have but you admit that you don't read my posts" but I was being sarcastic when I said "Now show us your one example of a similar pitcher and explain how that proves those guys are really good" . One is not enough of a sample size. In fact, some could say that's the exception that proves the rule.

The problem you're having is that you've never played in worlds where the worst teams lose 90ish and the best win less than 100. It changes the entire league averages because no one has 5.78 ERA. And certainly not several of them. When I say "league average", I am talking about stats. The standard league average for pitchers in good worlds is 1.30 WHIP and 4.10 ERA. Looking at his two pitchers, I expected them to be around "league average". They are.
Again, stats are relative to ratings and ratings are relative to opponent. If your methodology is stats, then fine but it's still comparative analysis

In your Moonlight Graham, the league average pitching is 4.08 / 1.32 and the league average slash line is .253/.320/.401 (which is very low)
In my Rickey, league average pitching 4.25 / 1.34 and slash is .257/.323/.410
In his Topps, league average pitching 4.54 / 1.40 and slash is .266/.332/.432

You're making an argument that at least 6 teams in his league are tanking and therefore skewing the pitching data but 1- that's just not true and 2- that argument simply makes no sense in this context anyways. 1- One team lost 106 and one team lost 104, but everyone else had at least 63 wins. The pitching data is not skewed, literally every single team's pitching is observing this phenomenon in this league. The #1 team in the league is 3.31 ERA, that's absurdly high. Average ML slashline of .266/.332/.432 is absurdly high. Those numbers are coming from average player rating. Again, stats are relative to ratings and ratings are relative to the opponent. The average hitter here is massively better than that in any of our leagues.

In general, hitter ratings have a greater weight in the batter v pitcher interaction (54%-46% favoring the hitter) so again, there are TONS of good hitters in this league and they're making EVERYONE's pitchers look worse relative to their ratings. There are no negative outlier teams like you're insinuating. The teams worse than the 4.54 average are 4.69 4.71 4.72 4.76 4.84 4.91 4.93 4.99 5.23 5.28 5.49 5.57 5.58 5.61 and the distribution of all 32 teams is basically linear). There are no 2.50 teams and no 7.00 ERA teams or anything like that. The best team is -1.23 to average, the best team is +1.08 to average. No outliers. Your theory is flat-out wrong.

It has nothing to do with "playing in worlds where the worst team only loses 90", that's a dumb statement. His league is very competitive except for the one exceptionally good Pittsburgh team, and the two 100 loss teams. But in general, every single team that's in the middle has outstanding hitters. One of the 80-82 teams has Francis Shumaker and Walter Hines, and an 84-win team has a 99 OVR Marwin Lira. The quality of the hitter pool in this league is absolutely ridiculous dude.

Your theory is "he's just average", my theory is "he should be very good in almost every situation, but relative to this world he's very average because the crop of hitters is historically good". Splits of 53 and 71 with 90+ control and 70+ average pitch routinely make all-star teams in other worlds. Stop giving people advice that these players are bad or average
7/14/2017 3:35 PM (edited)
"Splits of 53 and 71 with 90+ control and 70+ average pitch routinely make all-star teams in other worlds"

Uh, no. Maybe your crappy worlds not mine. Stop saying "I'm right, everyone else is always wrong" because your success, in less than stellar worlds, does not indicate you've found some magic formula. You're an above average owner in below average worlds. The WHIP/ERA is Ricky/Topps indicates that to be so. Basically what I'm saying is, you're an above average fish in a below average pond.
7/14/2017 3:46 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/14/2017 3:46:00 PM (view original):
"Splits of 53 and 71 with 90+ control and 70+ average pitch routinely make all-star teams in other worlds"

Uh, no. Maybe your crappy worlds not mine. Stop saying "I'm right, everyone else is always wrong" because your success, in less than stellar worlds, does not indicate you've found some magic formula. You're an above average owner in below average worlds. The WHIP/ERA is Ricky/Topps indicates that to be so. Basically what I'm saying is, you're an above average fish in a below average pond.
Fine, send me an invite and I'll join. You pick the league and you assign me my team and I am confident I could win (or at least make it to) a WS within 7-8 seasons with any franchise you assign me. That's what I've done in every league so far (except Atlanta which is only at the beginning of year 4 which is actually for me only year 3.5)

Additionally I am proud to say I have never tanked to win----- I've only drafted with the #1 pick once (the Atlanta team which I inherited one day after the all-star break at .200 win% and finished the season with 54 wins... went ~.450 in the 2nd half with a very very bad roster) and the #2 pick once (inherited the pick from the previous owner) and I've never once finished in the bottom 5 of any league which I set the budget for. The highest I've ever drafted on one of my own teams is 6th (after season 1 with Seattle when I had no idea how to play the game, the learning curve for this game is steep) and 7th (after season 2 with Seattle) and those are literally the only times I've even drafted in the top 10.

Pick me the least desirable franchise in the best league on the site and invite me and I'll join. In exchange, I will start a thread/blog where I share my strategies and observations for each stage of the season... budgeting, free agent / arbitration strategy, roster building, statistical analysis, injury selection, promotion strategy, DITR strategy, playoff strategy, etc etc. At the end, loser buys the winner a HBD gift card or something.

If I annoy you and you don't want me to be around you on a daily basis, pick any franchise in a different "elite" league of your choosing to put me in and I will accept the challenge
7/14/2017 4:05 PM
I'll add you to the waitlist in both of my worlds. It will be awhile(Coop in ST, MG in LCS with two openings/4 waiting) but I'll let you in. I won't pick your franchise, you can pick it if you're in line to pick(sometimes it's just "this one. Take it or leave it"). 8 seasons to make the WS.

I'm quite sure you'll annoy me. But I know how to use the block feature so there's a way around it.
7/14/2017 4:16 PM
It's mutual trust me
7/14/2017 4:17 PM
It would be really awesome if you built pitching staffs with nothing but 52/71 splits. I'll trade you all the AAA pitchers you want.
7/14/2017 4:19 PM
Like I said, you can pick if there's one that's particularly bad and you want filled, or if you want you can just let me pick last so that all the other incoming owners filter the final team to me. That's what happened in The Show II, I took the 32nd team and I made WS in year 5 and won it in year 7. Having you pick would be a much greater challenge. Plus if I'm in your league there's a much greater chance of collusion / active sabotage. But either way I will still take the challenge and blog it
7/14/2017 4:22 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/14/2017 4:19:00 PM (view original):
It would be really awesome if you built pitching staffs with nothing but 52/71 splits. I'll trade you all the AAA pitchers you want.
we'll see!
7/14/2017 4:22 PM
Posted by pjfoster13 on 7/14/2017 4:22:00 PM (view original):
Like I said, you can pick if there's one that's particularly bad and you want filled, or if you want you can just let me pick last so that all the other incoming owners filter the final team to me. That's what happened in The Show II, I took the 32nd team and I made WS in year 5 and won it in year 7. Having you pick would be a much greater challenge. Plus if I'm in your league there's a much greater chance of collusion / active sabotage. But either way I will still take the challenge and blog it
It's unlikely that anyone in my leagues like me anymore than you do. They just like rolling/approving the same day and the rules that keep it competitive. I have no trouble filling my worlds because they're are no "particularly bad" teams when we roll. That's the difference between what you're accustomed to and what I'm accustomed to.
7/14/2017 4:31 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/14/2017 3:46:00 PM (view original):

PS for the record Fritz Thompson Jorge Moreno Patrick Cornelius and Sadie Gil all made the all-star game in your current season of Moonlight Graham lol YOUR WORLD IS 1337!!
7/14/2017 4:36 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/14/2017 4:31:00 PM (view original):
Posted by pjfoster13 on 7/14/2017 4:22:00 PM (view original):
It's unlikely that anyone in my leagues like me anymore than you do. They just like rolling/approving the same day and the rules that keep it competitive. I have no trouble filling my worlds because they're are no "particularly bad" teams when we roll. That's the difference between what you're accustomed to and what I'm accustomed to.
I'm accustomed to personally taking over "particularly bad" franchises (except the Toronto one, that club had some pedigree), so I'm not worried. The more competitive your league is, the better head start I will have in theory
7/14/2017 4:38 PM
How about this.... JP, you join one of Mike's worlds and see if you can be successful. He's an unlikable A-hole but the worlds do fill immediately so its a fair trade off. Looks like you were in Mantle for 1 season.. What happened there?

Also, Holy ****.. What happened to Rickey.. Anytime a league has a team with a .730 win pct you know its turned the corner tardville.
7/14/2017 5:07 PM
Posted by willsauve on 7/14/2017 5:07:00 PM (view original):
How about this.... JP, you join one of Mike's worlds and see if you can be successful. He's an unlikable A-hole but the worlds do fill immediately so its a fair trade off. Looks like you were in Mantle for 1 season.. What happened there?

Also, Holy ****.. What happened to Rickey.. Anytime a league has a team with a .730 win pct you know its turned the corner tardville.
In Mantle I took over mid-season for somebody and was not invited back. tec claims it was because I was colluding / aliasing with another owner who is actually my friend and who I declared up front was my friend. In fact, we were both mid-season replacements that season and there was no issue whatsoever at the time or thru most of the season.

Near the end of the season I negged tec (commish) for ruthlessly enforcing a salary rule in that league where "cash cannot exceed salary in a trade", but the circumstances were that the two teams had made a good-faith effort to honor the rule at the time the trade was proposed, but by the time it was accepted & processed the cash exceeded salary by some ridiculously small number like $5,000, and tec INSISTED that we veto or cancel the trade or whatever, and so I gave my opinion about how ridiculous I thought that was.

He never said anything at the time, but at the end of the season sent me a message saying I'm not invited back because of collusion / alias, but the timestamps from his convos with Mike began the day after I disagreed with tec's commissioning, so I can read between the lines and infer that he never believed I was actually an alias but rather that he was ****** at me for challenging his authority.

So at the end of the day it worked out for all of us. Can't wait to re-join a league with both of them.
7/14/2017 5:51 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
Why do these guys suck? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.