Why do YOU play? Topic

So I've read through most of these posts and it seems like a majority of you guys are basketball fans..is it weird that I love sim HD more than the real game? I have never played a real game a basketball since I was maybe 8 or 9 preferring soccer instead. Only time I actually watch the game is when I am with friends or March Madness is on. Something about the strategy and stats of this game is super appealing to me more than the actual play of the game itself. I enjoy reading PBP and see each team scoring runs bscore moving on to analyzing the stats and percentages.

2 a day worlds work perfectly with my 8-4 work schedule because I'm typically not doing any actual work due to inefficient process from higher management.. I work at an IT company and if you happen to walk by my cube, you are guaranteed to find HD along with about 5 player pop up windows on one of my three monitors :D. Also at $12.00 a season this game is pretty cheap fun and a great time waster in the office to escape going insane from boredom
7/13/2017 11:41 PM
This was like a stroll down memory lane. I remember Baseball Stars(the chick team was pretty good, IIRC) and, like gomiami, I played Civilization, Age of Empires, etc, etc. I recall SimCity on PlayStation and some airline empire type game on one of the consoles. And Baseball Mogul(Kun Greffiy so they didn't have to pay royalties).

Not really a basketball fan. College tourney is pretty much the only hoops I watch. But I like sports sims. Didn't like Gridiron(recruiting OL? Ugh), simhockey(don't know **** about hockey), Clutch Dynasty(huh?) or got bored with SLB because open was just cookie cutter teams and it was hard to find good theme leagues that would actually fill. HD is a good change of pace from HBD.
7/14/2017 9:08 AM
I'm a little older than MikeT. I was in Little League in the early to mid 70's, and all I wanted to be when i grew up was Johnny Bench. My first adventure into math was learning how to calculate a pitcher's ERA. Always been hooked on baseball. Played APPA in the 70's to the 80's, and I believe I still have it somewhere. I used to play 10 games a night, whole seasons, keep track of stats.
Found WIS somehow, and started off in HD, in Tark. And in that world someone mentioned HBD, I honestly didn't know about it until then, and then I was hooked. Totally hooked. Gave up on HD, and just went HBD.
Got back into HD when MikeT in one of his HBD worlds wanted to get a bunch of guys to fill a D3 HD conference in one of the worlds, the Little East in Smith. Now I'm back in HD and having fun like I do in HBD. Fun worlds make everything more enjoyable.
7/14/2017 1:19 PM
Whats crazy is I used to be totally into HBD, because baseball is my sport and not a fan of Bball unless its playoffs or the NCAA tourney, but now my interest is waning in that game and I find myself obsessing over HD more and more...it may get to a point that I quit HBD or only have 1 team and just strictly play Hoops Dynasty
7/14/2017 1:33 PM
I have always wanted and still want to be a basketball coach in real life. I have known since I was little that I wanted to coach basketball and probably due to the fact my dad is a HS coach. I am not sure yet if I want to be a high school or college coach yet but I still have some time to decide that. Anyways back to the import bit, my dad played HD before I started. One day my dad called and asked for me to do some recruiting for him because he was unable to do so (I was 11 at the time) and he took me through the process of recruiting. I LOVED IT. All the recruits, the teams, the faces, the basketball, the other people involved, ALL OF IT. I immediately asked if I could play as well. He told me I could try it out when the next free season rolls around. I think I was 12 when I got my very first team, and I still remember looking at my Lakeland team nearly all day because I was so intrigued. Now I stick around because despite all the flaws I see in the game, I still love to play it and I just love games like this. I am trying to get more involved on the forums so I can learn more and get more involved, there are just times during school/basketball that I do not have time to dedicate to posting and commenting. But overall, this game is still fun to play and I like building basketball programs, seeing players develop into stars, and trying to win.

*Sidenote- if you love simulation games, Out of the Park Baseball is an excellent baseball simulation game, so in depth/challenging/fun. Definitely recommend taking a look at getting it if you love to play simulation games.
7/14/2017 2:38 PM

A couple of things.

I played in a fantasy football league in 1987 or so. We would mail our starters in EVERY week. I was such a statistical nerd I would look forward to the mail coming in so I could find out what happened that week. I have not played Fantasy Football in 15 years or so, but I remember reading those stats like they were the bible.

In 1985 the Villanova Wildcats defeated Georgetown for the National Championship in one of the greatest upsets in sports history. EVERYONE at my school said Georgetown was going to win, and I won about $40 on that game. Even though I was a football player, I fell in love with College Hoops ever since then. I loved March Madness because you never really knew what was going to happen.

This particular game combines those two loves. College Basketball and my nerdy fascination with numbers.

7/14/2017 2:59 PM
Ive been a college basketball fan my whole life.Im currently 29 but in my teenage years there were many console games where you could start a career as a DI basketball coach. College Hoops 2k8 was the most recent and best sim coaching game. For over 10 years now ive been waiting for a college bball game to come back to console so i could coach again but then i found WIS. Ive been a member for 5-6 months now and i dont see myself going anywhere anytime soon. Im addicted.
7/14/2017 3:37 PM
This website would blow the **** up if there was an advertisement run.
7/14/2017 4:12 PM
No, it would not.

People who play sim games know how to find sim games on the internet.
7/14/2017 4:20 PM
Posted by Nick_Bennett on 7/14/2017 3:37:00 PM (view original):
Ive been a college basketball fan my whole life.Im currently 29 but in my teenage years there were many console games where you could start a career as a DI basketball coach. College Hoops 2k8 was the most recent and best sim coaching game. For over 10 years now ive been waiting for a college bball game to come back to console so i could coach again but then i found WIS. Ive been a member for 5-6 months now and i dont see myself going anywhere anytime soon. Im addicted.
You might be my alter ego lol. I'm 29 and grew up on college basketball & football video games. It's a travesty that they don't make them anymore. I've always been a dynasty/franchise mode player and couldn't care less about online play. While other kids liked NFL Blitz and arcade style sports games, I loved All-Star Baseball for Playstation because I had to configure my 40 man roster and worry about if a player had any options left so I could send him to the minors. Friends and girlfriends would see me simming through seasons and going through drafts & free agency and ask "when do you actually play the game?!" lol oh well. Someone just mentioned OOTP baseball which I can't praise enough. AMAZING game and ridiculously in-depth.
7/14/2017 4:20 PM
I want a new college basketball game so much I would buy an Xbox One if they had an exclusive on it (I have a PS4). Within the past year I've played about 25 seasons of 2k8 in dynasty mode against my brother. It's still a great game despite being 10 years old but the graphics and game play are pretty dated.
7/14/2017 4:59 PM
Posted by mrslam34 on 7/14/2017 4:59:00 PM (view original):
I want a new college basketball game so much I would buy an Xbox One if they had an exclusive on it (I have a PS4). Within the past year I've played about 25 seasons of 2k8 in dynasty mode against my brother. It's still a great game despite being 10 years old but the graphics and game play are pretty dated.
I still play EA NCAA Football 99 on my laptop. Graphics are highly pixelated and the AI puts a heavy thumb on the scale, but it's still a fun game.

I arrived because of Bill Simmons and baseball. Stayed because HD was a unique concept and it clicked with me. 10+ years later, there's still nothing else like it.
7/14/2017 5:03 PM
Love sports and love competition those are the main things.

Sim history goes way back to running games on the old electronic football games. Had every team. Tecmo Bowl came next then Madden, college football, and college basketball. On Madden I loved the fantasy draft option and made several (16) different leagues with variations on who was on each roster. Sim it to the Superbowl and have the top 4 teams from each league enter the tournament. Started on WIS doing sim matchups of all time teams after watching a show where they took the all time Superbowl winners from each decade and had them play each other to determine the ultimate champion. Forget the name of the show but it was awesome. Played college football back in the day but career got cut short by one of the girls I was messing with getting pregnant and me being stupid enough to believe everyone telling me I should "Do the right thing". Worst mistake of my life marrying her (lasted 6 months and cost a fortune!).

Any way I love to compete and will even play the kids I work with in games while teaching them life skills (like how to lose gracefully to an "old man"). Video games, one on one basketball, shooting guns, chess, cards, tennis, volleyball, warrior dash, board games, you name it I will consider playing just to compete if a fair competition is to be had.

7/14/2017 5:55 PM (edited)
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/14/2017 4:20:00 PM (view original):
No, it would not.

"Sports sim" has been googled a little over 3k times over the past year. Factoring in clicks and conversion rates, that would mean somewhere between 25-250 people have probably actually spent money on the site from Google searches.

Are you saying that out of the hundreds of millions of the sports fans on the internet, only 3,000 people would actually be interested in a sim game? Jeez, I had no idea we were such a unique group.
7/14/2017 6:16 PM
Posted by mbriese on 7/14/2017 6:16:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/14/2017 4:20:00 PM (view original):
No, it would not.

"Sports sim" has been googled a little over 3k times over the past year. Factoring in clicks and conversion rates, that would mean somewhere between 25-250 people have probably actually spent money on the site from Google searches.

Are you saying that out of the hundreds of millions of the sports fans on the internet, only 3,000 people would actually be interested in a sim game? Jeez, I had no idea we were such a unique group.
Ugh. I hate this argument from Mike. So narrow minded.

I never googled "sports sims" once in my life but here I am 60 seasons later.
7/14/2017 6:18 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Why do YOU play? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.