Why do YOU play? Topic

I'm a 2k my team fan. I like being able to meld my team to my actual style of play.
7/14/2017 6:30 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/13/2017 11:12:00 AM (view original):
Preface: Longer than intended but backstory required.

After our recent "scandal", I began to wonder because the main character said(paraphrasing) "I don't play for respect. I don't play to make friends. I play to win games." Which, to me, seemed odd because I assume all of us play to win games. So I dug deep into my brain to figure out why I play beyond the "time-killer" reason.

My childhood was before video games(I got an Atari when I was 13-14), internet and iPhones. So, after school, we'd go play ball until dinnertime. As an only child, there wasn't **** to do after 7 as there were no one person games. I had a nice 13" black and white TV with 3 channels if I moved the rabbit ears around. I read a lot.

I found a Statis-Pro(baseball sim board game) while reading SI. Bought it but hardly played because I think it takes longer to play than an actual baseball game. But that was my first SIM(assuming my memory is right).

In the mid-80s, a buddy bought Earl Weaver Baseball. Awesome. Wished they'd had that when I was a kid.

I've had an odd fascination for sim games since.
I think we must have had a similar discussion in the past, because I remember talking about Statis-Pro Baseball from SI. I worked at a toy store during my college years, and we used to carry this and similar games, but Statis-Pro was the one that got me hooked. The first set I got had cards from the '78 season, and I must have played the Yankee's schedule over and over. I also bought season cards for a number of other seasons as well, but '78 got the most play.

The first computer baseball game I had was "APBA Baseball For Windows", which was marketed by a company called Miller Associates. I forget which season came with the game when I bought it, but it was some season from the 90's. There was a related product which was a Baseball Encyclopedia which you you query and generate reports from, either on individual players, seasons, career leaders, etc. This was before baseball-reference.com, so it was the go-to source to look stuff up. One of the coolest features of the Encyclopedia was that it could generate season disks for the game, so once you had that, you could replay any season in MLB history up through the current date for the encyclopedia. Eventually, Miller Associates went out of business and the game and related products died. I don't think they'll even install on current versions of Windows.

Shortly after that, HBD was released by WIS, and Iv'e been playing here ever since.
7/14/2017 7:10 PM
Posted by crabman26 on 7/14/2017 1:33:00 PM (view original):
Whats crazy is I used to be totally into HBD, because baseball is my sport and not a fan of Bball unless its playoffs or the NCAA tourney, but now my interest is waning in that game and I find myself obsessing over HD more and more...it may get to a point that I quit HBD or only have 1 team and just strictly play Hoops Dynasty
That happened to me. I played SIM baseball for 5+ years, i played both for about 2 years and haven't really played baseball since.
7/14/2017 10:48 PM
holy crap
we are all the same person.

I busted out my Nintendo last week and lo and behold it still worked. Played Super Tecmo Bowl and Baseball Simulator 1.000 over the weekend. It was kind of crazy that I picked up on a season of Tecmo bowl probably saved over 20 years ago.

7/15/2017 7:42 AM
Posted by MWalpole on 7/14/2017 4:20:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Nick_Bennett on 7/14/2017 3:37:00 PM (view original):
Ive been a college basketball fan my whole life.Im currently 29 but in my teenage years there were many console games where you could start a career as a DI basketball coach. College Hoops 2k8 was the most recent and best sim coaching game. For over 10 years now ive been waiting for a college bball game to come back to console so i could coach again but then i found WIS. Ive been a member for 5-6 months now and i dont see myself going anywhere anytime soon. Im addicted.
You might be my alter ego lol. I'm 29 and grew up on college basketball & football video games. It's a travesty that they don't make them anymore. I've always been a dynasty/franchise mode player and couldn't care less about online play. While other kids liked NFL Blitz and arcade style sports games, I loved All-Star Baseball for Playstation because I had to configure my 40 man roster and worry about if a player had any options left so I could send him to the minors. Friends and girlfriends would see me simming through seasons and going through drafts & free agency and ask "when do you actually play the game?!" lol oh well. Someone just mentioned OOTP baseball which I can't praise enough. AMAZING game and ridiculously in-depth.
I think we are alter egos. My brother and i would play the dynasy mode on 2k8 for hours trying to land that dream job. And yes i love that youve experienced the look of confusion from your friends. they are like "this is so boring, why do you even play this" lol nice to see more sim lovers out there. id give my left abything for a new college hoops console game.
7/15/2017 11:13 AM
Posted by cubcub113 on 7/13/2017 3:39:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Arfy on 7/13/2017 12:02:00 PM (view original):
I used to play Strat-o-matic baseball. I also used to play some of those fantasy games where you would draft real players through the mail and they would mail you results every once in a while. I tried the sports games on xbox and whatnot, but they really lacked realistic simulation stats. I barely watch sports anymore(except for my Denver Broncos). But I am still thrilled to find the results of my games everyday. I think about it constantly while I'm at work. I play because I have an obsession with strategy games.
I'm a huge b-ball fan and used to play a ton in high school. I also freakin love stratomatic. I'm a sports and math addict. Definitely defined as a jock-nerd. I'm also a huge NBA2K Myteam fan. I also love strategy games like Catan, Dominion and stuff like that.

I'm also one of the best fantasy football players I know. Pick up Ryan Tannehill this year.
Nooooooooooooooo. Tannehill is hurt for the year and I have him in my work dynasty league. It's a sad day folks.
8/3/2017 10:30 PM
I started in 2007 when I was in 12th grade, like most of the guys here I love sports and I love sports games. In high school I knew that by 2017 I would be at least the Assistant GM of the Cleveland Indians. I grew up on games like OOTP, Madden, FIFA, MLB the Show etc because it was so fun building your team, managing it and being in charge of everything. So naturally I googled some combination of words related to "sports simulation" and found WIS.

Played HD when I first joined and then went to HBD and have been addicted to both ever since although I did have a break in my love for HD. Considering I started in 2007 as a HS Senior and then went to college for a year, it was definitely tough to pay for seasons in the beginning but I made it work. When I joined the Army, I even had someone run my team for me and we even exchanged mail while I was at basic training getting updates on how my teams were doing. I still think I would have won the Phelan National Championship instead of losing in the Final Four had I been in charge lol

Other than FC Dynasty I have in almost 11 years never won a HD or HBD championship which is super depressing (especially with HBD since I have been close many times) but managing YOUR team how you want to is so much fun that while winning would be nice, its more about the fun I have doing it.

I have loved HD 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0 and always will.
8/3/2017 11:53 PM
So for myself I've always been a fan of sports games and simulation in general. Ever since I was a kid (6 or 7) I've used my sports video games to create players build them up and be the GM. I always find that when I have games I regret not playing the actual games more. I've played them all; NHL, Madden, NCAA 2K, MLB: The Show etc, FIFA. My personal opinion is that FIFA is the best game in depth for any managerial mode, but I've got a soft spot for the NHL games since that was the first game I ever got in to. I remember having NHL 94 and creating a player; I mastered it and then I let a person in my building borrow it and I never did get it back; though we did swap for Ken Griffey Jr. Winning Run, so not all was lost. I've always collected sports cards and stats have always been something I can remember, so HD seemed like the next step once I found it, even if it took a while to figure out the finer points in making an NT team.
8/4/2017 5:43 AM
◂ Prev 123
Why do YOU play? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.