Opinions welcomed about running straight shotgun!! Topic

Looking to get some info on running shotgun and didn't know if anyone runs it 100% of the time. i have some ideas I would like to try but the team I have to test it with has a terrible shotgun IQ as a team. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

coachoatie
7/14/2017 4:20 PM
I'm about to try it in D2 Camp. Maybe we can share notes. Ebel runs it at Houston in Wilkinson and is very successful.
7/14/2017 4:31 PM
I have been very successful and also moderately so. What Im saying is , like all formations, 2 big components of success are Quality of Personnel and Formation IQ.
What I would do is keep using and practicing whatever you are already using and aquiring as many wins as possible so your vision is as high as you can be when you do switch to shotgun. But meanwhile Practice Shotgun too so that when you switch to it in few seasons you will have chance to win with it.
thats what I did with my teams running ND now but prev were Pro or I .
7/14/2017 5:42 PM
That's what I was afraid of mojo, my iq will be terribly low to start. Yeah awags, sounds good , I will let you know how things go
7/14/2017 8:33 PM
The way I did it takes patience. Specially when you're all excited to try the new offense. but it is a lot more effective.
When the qb has low form iq you will throw lots more interceptions.
7/14/2017 10:58 PM
mojolad I sent you a sitemail
7/14/2017 11:21 PM
Got it Raider. Hope my reply helps.
7/15/2017 5:38 AM
I ran the Shotgun at Central Florida in Rockne for three seasons. The coach that took over the team still runs it. I ran it my first season with low formation IQ and sim recruits and won the CC. I think it can be a lethal offense.
7/15/2017 9:09 AM
So my question is, "does the engine truly have a bias toward one or two formations, or have we as players perceived a bias that actually does not exist?".

I ask this because formation IQ and talent appear as required in any formation for the highest level of success against established opponents, but as I was not here during the last engine conversion, were the other less popular now formations exhausted in terms of effort?
7/15/2017 10:04 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by ebel331 on 7/15/2017 10:39:00 AM (view original):
I've got about 30 seasons of all shotgun in this engine. Have a few more teams transitioning to it now mostly cause I'm tired of keeping up with different game plans.

If we are just talking about optimal formation, shotgun is probably the worst. Not having the RB position to throw to is a major disadvantage.

But there is definitely value in being contrarian in this game. And shotgun is fun when you come up a team that isn't ready to defend it and just drop bombs on them lol

I like it for lower-tier schools at DIA cause it allows me to try and 'moneyball' recruiting a bit... eliminates the blue-chip expense of RBs for example and can get 2-3 decent WR instead of battle for 1 stud. TEs can usually be had cheap. So for skill positions only spending on QB.

Like any other, formation IQ is important so don't give up if doesn't work right away.

QB is a must, if you miss out on a QB one season you will feel it. I usually keep 5 on roster and redshirt them so have 2 quality starters all the time.

Top TE option is a big plus especially against good defenses.

I don't run out of shotgun much, but it can def be done successfully. I posted about my wishbone team playing a shotgun team in playoffs a couple time... that was pete61's shotgun team and he ran all over me with it.

Great stuff ebel. I'd say you the most experience out of any of us running the shotgun.

I am drawn to the shotgun because of the contrarian aspect as well. One of the aspects that was fun when I ran it was my conference mates told me in conference chat that they were changing the way they had to build their teams because of my shotgun. I love doing things that makes my opponents get out of their routines.

My shotgun gameplan is to try to average 80 passes a game with good distribution to several talented receivers. My theory is that if I have 8-9 good wide receivers, 2-3 good tight ends, and 2 QBs that play a lot of snaps every game I can shred a defense that has a thin secondary. I had 2 games over three seasons where I was able to get multiple defenders stamina down to zero. I never did that with my all rush/NDB offense in all the seasons I ran it focusing on Time of Possession.

I have plans to bring the shotgun to one of the D1A elites that I have. I have some ideas about the offensive output I could achieve if I had 2 Top 30 QBs and 4 Top 50 WRs combined with a great defense.

If an opponent's defense has 8 typical DBs: 2SR 2JR 2SO 2 FR I think I could have 30-35% of my passes being defended by SO and FR DBs. That gives me a lot of opportunities to gameplan to isolate those weak DBs against my great WRs. Add a great defense that forces 3-4 three and outs in a half so their defense can't rest and you can have quarters where you can score 28+ points against a great opponent.

7/15/2017 11:30 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Picked up another team and I am going to experiment with the shotgun as well.
7/17/2017 9:31 PM
Posted by ebel331 on 7/15/2017 12:37:00 PM (view original):
I used Shotgun at elite Florida in Leahy from seasons 108-117.

Seasons 111-117 team completion rate was 72, 72, 69, 65, 67, 67, 71 !!!!

And that was when I first started the new engine, had no idea how passing game worked and wasn't trying to figure it out.

I don't think I even threw a pass to a TE that whole time cause I didn't realize default Shotgun had TE at 0 distribution.

During same time period I averaged 5-6 yards an attempt... so completing over 66% at 5+ a try then offense is holding ball a long time and running ton of plays.

I have stopped recruiting a TE at my all-pass shotgun teams -- Akron in Leahy and Washington in Warner. Being able to not spend $$$ on two positions, the aforementioned TE and also RBs, allows me to up the ante on other core positions.
7/19/2017 3:17 PM
Posted by sjurat on 7/19/2017 3:17:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ebel331 on 7/15/2017 12:37:00 PM (view original):
I used Shotgun at elite Florida in Leahy from seasons 108-117.

Seasons 111-117 team completion rate was 72, 72, 69, 65, 67, 67, 71 !!!!

And that was when I first started the new engine, had no idea how passing game worked and wasn't trying to figure it out.

I don't think I even threw a pass to a TE that whole time cause I didn't realize default Shotgun had TE at 0 distribution.

During same time period I averaged 5-6 yards an attempt... so completing over 66% at 5+ a try then offense is holding ball a long time and running ton of plays.

I have stopped recruiting a TE at my all-pass shotgun teams -- Akron in Leahy and Washington in Warner. Being able to not spend $$$ on two positions, the aforementioned TE and also RBs, allows me to up the ante on other core positions.
But the Tight-end is key to running the shotgun IMO. The engine favors a solid TE to matchup against LBS and CBS. Just something I've noticed with the couple teams I have running it this season.
7/19/2017 4:44 PM
Opinions welcomed about running straight shotgun!! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.