Poor fielding rates Topic

i get that WiS like predicts that someone who had 1 game at third base wouldn't have a 100 fielding% all year, but why do they make it so bad? Like I don't think any big leaguer anywhere would have like a .739 fielding% or an .804

Is there a reason they make it so low?
7/16/2017 3:27 PM
Because he's not a 3rd baseman? When there's a low sample size WiS seems to fill it with junk until a certain threshold is reached. I have a problem with almost every utility player assigned D- range because they often play just a few innings and are rated as if they played the whole game.
A while ago there was a loophole where Bert Campaneris had an A+ arm at Catcher. He played one inning all year, as part of a stunt where he played all 9 positions in one game. He didn't throw out any baserunners either.
7/16/2017 4:53 PM
Posted by rbow923 on 7/16/2017 4:53:00 PM (view original):
Because he's not a 3rd baseman? When there's a low sample size WiS seems to fill it with junk until a certain threshold is reached. I have a problem with almost every utility player assigned D- range because they often play just a few innings and are rated as if they played the whole game.
A while ago there was a loophole where Bert Campaneris had an A+ arm at Catcher. He played one inning all year, as part of a stunt where he played all 9 positions in one game. He didn't throw out any baserunners either.
That was just like, I made a certain player up, but I was looking at some of Albert Pujols' seasons, I'd rather play the Pujols who didn't have a single game at 2nd over the one season where he did play 2nd. Like there's no reason to believe that Gold Glove award winning Pujols would commit an error every single game at 2nd base
7/16/2017 6:55 PM
I've noticed that with some players WIS doesn't have a clue about their fielding, bc i often play part time guys from the early 1900s with D and D- fielding grades at 2b, 3b and OF and they hardly make any errors no matter where i put them. This just goes to show you that WIS just guesses sometime.
7/20/2017 11:51 AM
Ya, it's hard to say. I get the argument about part time players being too good, but these are also professional athletes we're dealing with. Steve Pearce had never played 2B in his life until Showalter put him there in 2015. He played 120 innings and didn't commit an error.

I think range should be abysmal for guys playing out of position, but they still know how to use a glove. Perhaps throwing errors should be higher, but no way guys should be below .900 in fielding %.
7/20/2017 1:03 PM
While we're on the subject of fielding, does anyone else find the number of unearned runs in most leagues to be a bit high? It seems that there are no harmless errors--every error seems to lead to a run. At least that's been my experience, limited as it is.
7/20/2017 6:30 PM
Posted by stengelese on 7/20/2017 6:30:00 PM (view original):
While we're on the subject of fielding, does anyone else find the number of unearned runs in most leagues to be a bit high? It seems that there are no harmless errors--every error seems to lead to a run. At least that's been my experience, limited as it is.
Maybe u just notice errors when they lead to unearned runs. I don't think there's such thing as harmless errors cuz that just causes more pitches to be thrown, and I like to play with fatigue. But a lot of errors don't lead to runs atleast in my case
7/20/2017 6:47 PM
Just looking at my first team, I made with a 1900s Cubs team, and a 1970s Athletics team, I have 80 unearned runs despite committing 131 errors in 156 games. Sounds bad but I'm about to clinch my division.
7/20/2017 6:52 PM
Another thing I'm curious about is the fielding spectrum in relation to secondary position grades. If you have an A/A SS with fielding ratings at no other positions, and you play him at 3B, he should still perform fairly well (around B-/B-, if my understanding is correct). But if that A/A SS has a C/D secondary rating at 3B, which takes precedence? Will he play like a C/D 3B, or will that rating be improved based on his SS ratings and the fielding spectrum penalties?
7/21/2017 5:05 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 7/21/2017 5:05:00 PM (view original):
Another thing I'm curious about is the fielding spectrum in relation to secondary position grades. If you have an A/A SS with fielding ratings at no other positions, and you play him at 3B, he should still perform fairly well (around B-/B-, if my understanding is correct). But if that A/A SS has a C/D secondary rating at 3B, which takes precedence? Will he play like a C/D 3B, or will that rating be improved based on his SS ratings and the fielding spectrum penalties?
He'll play like a C/D 3B or possibly worse if he has less than 20 games at the position
7/21/2017 5:40 PM
If a player has a defensive rating at a position, then he'll play the position according to those ratings (adjusted for less than 20 appearances). The defensive spectrum adjustments are only made for a player at positions in which they have no defensive rating, and I imagine the adjustments are based on the player's primary defensive position ratings only.
7/21/2017 5:49 PM
George Brett 1980 has an a/Bplus at 1st base. Played 1 game 4 put outs no assist no errors. He has the same rating at 3rd base.

Strat-o-matic had him as a 4 e25 (the worst you could be at that time)

Bascially he shouldn't be that good at first in WIS or that bad in strat-o
7/22/2017 3:26 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 7/21/2017 5:05:00 PM (view original):
Yes it's better to use a SS who has no secondary rating. He'll be better than B-/B-, more like A-/B+
7/31/2017 4:00 PM
I just used 1B '22 George Kelly(B/A+) at 2B for roughly 2/3 of a season. (119 games). His bat was far better than my 2B on my progressive team.

.958 fld pct, 27 errors(2 throwing errors), 260 putouts, 350 assists, 66 DP, 8+ plays, 2 - plays
7/31/2017 5:48 PM (edited)
Poor fielding rates Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.