80s Decade League Evals Topic

Evals not intended to be disrespectful - all in fun
"The opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of the network"
"Thing in the mirror are closer than they appear."
7/18/2017 9:50 AM
Atlantic -
Its tough to pick a clear cut favorite here. There isn't a team that really stands out. No one team looks like an overwhelming juggernaut, and conversely there doesn't seem to be a terrible team that's destined to be a whipping boy for the others. It looks like a close race - hard to handicap, but hell I spent a ton of time betting on horses - and you never win without placing your bet
7/18/2017 9:53 AM
1. Atlantic
sixernuggets: Buck Williams, Marques Johnson, Dan Issel, Mike Dunleavy, Walter Davis, Brian Taylor, Wayne Cooper,

Good – I really like Williams – Marques J. – Issel is underrated efficient ‘stretch 5’. Walter Davis a steal in the draft with great value in 5th round.

Bad - enough passing? – I’m not sure if the ast% will be sufficient and am doubtful concerning Brian Taylor being up to the challenge.

7/18/2017 9:54 AM
3. Atlantic
samuelyork93 "Dragon Ball": Alex English, Alvin Robertson, Paul Pressey, Bill Walton, Rick Mahorn, Clemon Johnson,

Good - English a good foundation for the Off.. Walton efficient but limited with short minutes. I like the interior role players.

Bad – enough passing? Im not sure if Robertson will be distributing the rock sufficiently. Pressy was a ‘point fwd.’ so that helps. Maybe look to get some firepower on the bench.
7/18/2017 2:09 PM (edited)
2 - Atlantic
24kpyrite "Raging Bull": Hakeem Olajuwon, Jeff Ruland, AC Green, Calvin Natt, Brad Davis, Mike Gminski,

Good – Opponents better have plenty of interior D. Olajuwon and Ruland will be a couple of handfuls down low. Natt and Green gritty.

Bad – Very Light on the perimeter – Will probably see more than a few shifted D’s. Seems unbalanced to the interior - Brad Davis enough here?

7/18/2017 10:08 AM
Field - Atlantic
jethroeg: Karl Malone, Ralph Sampson, Gus Williams, Purvis Short, Eddie Johnson, Tiny Archibald,

Good – Karl Malone is always a good place to start. The last champion paired Sampson in the second round with McHale to win a title. Archibald a good 5th round value.

Bad – Not sure if the support cast is enough to help the Mailman deliver – Not crazy about 3 -4-5th round selections. Sampson won championship ring during the last editions of the 80s Decade, but I'm having a hard time with his WIS #'s -
7/18/2017 10:13 AM
long shot - Atlantic
Sorry Smokey - but this nag looks like she ready for the glue factory -
but hey, Ive been wrong before (just look at each of MY drafts - now THAT is ugly)

smokey63 (2) "Back to the Future": George Gervin, Kermit Washington, Kevin Willis, Norm Nixon, Bob Gross, Randy Smith,

Good - Gervin a gifted scorer. Kermit Washington has an absolutely devastating right hand - Willis a solid role player inside. I kind of like Nixon Randy Smith combo.

Bad - I'm not crazy about Gervin going so much higher here than he did in other incarnations of our 80s decade draft. #10 seems too high considereing he went in 30s previously. Seems a bit of a reach. I'm still shocked WIS has Gervin's Def rating so high - In reality he was a 20-30 defender -- Gawd awful - maybe someone there loves the Iceman - but in reality he couldn't guard my mother (hell she DID have a quick first step and feathery jumper)
7/18/2017 10:25 AM (edited)
scratch - Atlantic
I'm not going to predict where my own team will finish. Everyone likes their own team or they wouldn't have selectd those particular players.

cmcafeeky (2) "Blues Brothers": Magic Johnson, Cedric Maxwell, Bill Laimbeer, Caldwell Jones, Bob Lanier, Mike Woodson,

Good – Highly efficient players from winning programs –

Bad – You don’t get brownie points for having popular players (like you do in the real NBA). Not sure if there is enough scoring pop to make for more than a very solid team. This may be a low ceiling – High floor team. Won’t be bad but also not likely to be great either. They would not seem to have enough perimeter shooting.
7/22/2017 10:57 AM (edited)

Central -
The Central seems MUCH stronger than the Atlantic and is loaded with good teams.
The Ewing - Mullin team looks solid and has benefitted from good role player additions to strong nucleus.
Rubnsly - SuperRobb squads look to be in next tier - both looking like they have potential to win division.
Skypiilot team is a wild card squad that could go either direction - They have the perimeter - but not sure if enough inside

7/18/2017 11:17 AM (edited)
uptowngbv "River's Edge": Pat Ewing, Chris Mullin, Kevin Porter, Benoit Benjamin, Horace Grant, Wes Matthews,

Good – Ewing - Mullin a fantastic 1-2 punch. Somewhere Dave Gavitt (Initial Big East Commish) is smiling. How does Ewing go 15th three 80s drafts in a row? Maybe Stern wanted Ewing in NY??? Horace Grant a perfect fit. Porter a great fit in that all he does is pass, and here he has targets.

Bad – Benjamiin a stiff in real life – Im not so sure about Wes Matthews value to this squad in 6th rnd. Not a lot to not like here. Uptown needs to keep momentum and add quality to bench.
7/18/2017 10:59 AM
rubnsly "After Hours": Larry Bird, Derek Harper, Swen Nater, Paul Westphal, Orlando Woolridge, Clark Kellogg,

Good – Larry Legend is usually enough to give a team a great shot at the playoffs. Derek Harper solid. Swen Nater a no-D rebounding monster.

Bad – Have enough pop after ‘The Hick from French Lick’?? Nater needs help defending the paint. Wooldride enough? I cant stand listening to Clark Kellogg do color on college basketball - I bet he'd be insufferable as a know it all teammate.

7/18/2017 11:01 AM
superrobb420: Clyde Drexler, Rodney McCray, Terry Cummings, Wes Unseld, Reggie Theus, Truck Robinson,

Good – Drexler a Jordon-lite dream teamer. McCray solid and underated. Looks like a tough minded gritty squad. I like Unseld and Terry Cummings value

Bad – Not a lot to worry about here. Would look like a poor passing team - Shooting a concern? McCray a reach at 32 when he had previously went in the 60s. McCray – Unseld may be one too many Louisiville players on one team.
7/18/2017 2:16 PM (edited)
skypilot: Kevin Johnson, Sidney Moncrief, Bobby Jones, Sam Bowie, Larry Smith, Ricky Pierce. Steve Johnson,

Good – A finesse perimeter oriented team. Has a very solid defense. Will benefit if add rebounding role players. I like this squad but worry. I could maybe see this team jump up and surprise.

Bad – Unbalanced to the perimeter? Who's going to snag some rebounds? Pierce maybe redundant on perimeter when team needed rebounding (but that's even more firepower).
7/18/2017 11:06 AM
field - Central
maglor1 "The A-team": Kevin McHale, James Donaldson, Michael Adams, Joe Dumars, Rolando Blackmon, Greg Ballard,

Good McHale a stud – Donaldson a good body guard for McHale. Ballard a solid contributor, especially in 6h round.

Bad – Im not crazy about a Dumars - Adams backcourt. Donaldson a round too early? Squad may be offensively challenged.
7/18/2017 11:07 AM
field central

amerk1180 (2) "Hoosiers": Jack Sikma, Ron Harper, James Worthy, Johnny Moore, David Greenwood, Ray Williams,

Good - Sikma a solid foundation. Harper great value at 35 when he had gone higher in the two previous drafts. Worthy a good 3rd rounder. Bench may make or break this team

Bad – Sikma & Harper solid, but not sure if they have the star power necessary to start a franchise. Sikma more a late first than a mid first player.
7/18/2017 11:11 AM
123 Next ▸
80s Decade League Evals Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.