80s Decade League Evals Topic

Midwest division –
TOUGH TOUGH TOUGH to handicap this group.
If this were a horse race - I'd fall back and bet one of the long shots -
as its so close to call here, that would be the smart money.

7/18/2017 12:36 PM
1 - Midwest
smokey63 "The Empire Strikes Back": Charles Barkley, Mark Eaton, Doc Rivers, Tree Rollins, Otis Birdsong, Wa;ter Nerru.

Good – of Course – Sir Charles – I really like what smokey has given Barkley in Eaton and Rollins – It be touch to finish at the rim against the Empire.

Bad - Id be careful to avoid usage penalty here with what is looking like a one man team. Barkley needs a little more help on the offensive end I think. Birdsong and Berry will say a lot in determining which direction this team goes (which may not be a god thing). Im not sure what a ‘Water Nerru’ is… a jacket from the 60s without a collar???
7/18/2017 2:18 PM (edited)
ncoldguy "Best Defense": Michael Jordan, Mychal Thompson, Elvin Hayes, Jamaal Wilkes, Kyle Macy, Thurl Bailey,

Good – MJ a given - I really like the 4-5-6 rounds – Jerry Krause has done another good job surrounding MJ with quality role players.

Bad – Were there better options to pair with MJ than Klay’s dad? Elvin Hayes brings a lot – but he misses a LOT of shots. Macy a starting point or better served as a top bench option?
7/18/2017 2:19 PM (edited)
3 Midwest
amerk1180 "Up the Creek": John Stockton, Michael Ray Richardson, Scottie Pippen, Alvan Adams, Joe Barry Carroll, John Williams,

Good – The Creek certainly has the perimeter as a strong point. I would think this would be a hard team to keep up with in the open court. Would be a highly entertaining team.

Bad – Rebounding – Interior D…This team looks a little light in the loafers - A good elbow here and there and they may fold up... Joe Barry Carroll is a big lazy a$$ sissy. Still hard to believe Golden State gave up Parish and what became draft pick for McHale in order to land #1 pick in JBCarroll. WOW... Red Auerbach should have been jailed for that kind of larceny.

7/18/2017 1:02 PM
4 - Midwest
jcred5: Larry Nance, Bernard King, Roy Tarpley, Sam Lacey, Michael Cooper, Cliff Robinson, John Lucas.

Good – There is something good happening here…I think. Nance a great role player with King providing punch. Tarpley solid. Lucas a value pick in 7th. Hard to handicap the MW - this team cold easily win the div.

Bad – almost waited too on to secure the point – but Lucas may save him. Enough rebounding?
7/18/2017 1:03 PM
field - MW

jkaye24: Artis Gilmore, Dennis Rodman, Rickey Green, Kiki Vandeweghe, Scott Wedman, Billy Knight,

Good – I like a team that starts with Def. and Rebounding – and Gilmore and Rodman do that. I like Billy Knight wing depth in 6th.

Bad – Could Kiki and Wedman stop someone on the wing – stop anyone? Scary to wait until 4th to get your points. There may be enough options off the bench to provide the punch (maybe).

7/18/2017 1:05 PM
field - MW
robusk: Mo Cheeks, Fat Lever, Maurice Lucas, Herb Williams, Roy Hinson,Sam Perkins, Don Buse,

Good – Cheeks solid – Lever a good role player – I like interior - Buse a quality choice in 7th

Bad – Little to no firepower – Won’t scare anyone on offense.
7/18/2017 1:07 PM
Pacific
I see the Pacific race to be top heavy
A potentially great team lead by Jabbar
a very Good team led by Moses, in search of the promised land...
and three "field teams" that seem to have more questions than answers.

and again - I will not predict my own teams placement.
7/18/2017 1:42 PM (edited)
1. Pacific
rmarsh915 "The Lost Boys": Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Terry Porter, Charles Oakley, Reggie Miller, Jerome Kersey, Antoine Carr,

Good – Looks like the cream of the crop and one of the better teams in the league. KAJ and the skyhook – Porter solid – Oakley a good
body guard for Jabbar. Miller with scoring punch. Couple of good role players to round out 5th andn 6th rnd.

Bad - ? A great start –Make sure the bench isn’t a disaster.
7/18/2017 1:38 PM
2 - Pacific
rjk2781 "Killer Klowns From Outer Space": Moses Malone, Mark Aguirre, Byron Scott, Mark Jackson, Brad Daugherty, Otis Thorpe,

Good – like an interior that has Moses – Daugherty and Otis T. Mark Jackson a steal and great facilitator here.

Bad – I hate Mark Aguirre and have since the first time I saw him with DePual – I think he’s a knucklehead that would hurt a team. He plays no D and doesn’t seem interested in rebounding. But he gives the Klowns needed O, so its not so bad here.
7/18/2017 1:39 PM
field - Pacific
grayfoxx: Isiah Thomas, Dominique Wilkins, Tom Chambers, Dennis Johnson, Lasalle Thompson, George T. Johnson,

Good – Thomas and Dmnq., along with Chambers in the full court would be an exciting team for the fans. Good solid role player selections to support the stars with his 4-5-6 rounders.

Bad – Isaiah and Dominique are both superstars, but they miss a lot of shots – (A LOT) – They should keep LaSalle and big George busy chasing offensive rebounds. Isaiah Thomas a hurtful reach at 19, when he had gone 48 – 59 in previous two 80s drafts.
7/18/2017 1:43 PM
field - Pacific
gerryred "I <3 short shorts": Julius Erving, Sleepy Floyd, Michael Cage, Xavier McDaniel, Hot Rod Williams, Danny Ainge,

Good – Dr. J is underrated when rattling off the all-time greats and especially when doiling out “Magic and Bird saved the NBA” platitudes. He was much more in that rarified air than he now seems to get credit for. He and his Sixers were GREAT – and he and those Philly teams were just a tad behind the Lakers and Celtics for importance. Hot Rod a great value in 4th.

Bad – Sleepy Floyd as a running mate for the good Dr.? Ainge is solid but his usage is hurtfully low – Who’s the point here?
7/18/2017 1:44 PM
field - Pacific

roadhouse19: Adrian Dantley, Dale Ellis, Nate McMillan, Kenny Carr, Alton Lister, Dell Curry,

Good – AD could play – but he couldn’t guard anyone. McMillan solid – Carr and Lister good role player additions.

Bad – Dale Ellis a bit of a reach in that he went 60 – 54 in previous two drafts. Reboudnig and Interior D a big concern.
7/18/2017 1:45 PM
Scrtch - Pacific

cmcafeeky "Blues Brothers": Robert Parish, Mark Price, Dan Roundfield, Terry Tyler, Bill Cartwright, Jim Paxson,

Good – Solid efficient group of players without glaring deficiencies. Decent assembly of role players - I like Paxson value in 6th.

Bad – Shooting – Is Price worthy #2 to build a team around? May be lacking in scoring punch to challenge very deep. Enough rebounding. Maybe should have addressed other concerns when adding Cartright in 5th.
7/18/2017 1:49 PM
Posted by cmcafeeky on 7/18/2017 1:07:00 PM (view original):
field - MW
robusk: Mo Cheeks, Fat Lever, Maurice Lucas, Herb Williams, Roy Hinson,Sam Perkins, Don Buse,

Good – Cheeks solid – Lever a good role player – I like interior - Buse a quality choice in 7th

Bad – Little to no firepower – Won’t scare anyone on offense.
Obviously your opinion is your own so I am not knocking it...

But I have a team eFG% of 50.98%, TS% of 55.41% (both of which are damn strong for an 80s only squad considering the lack of 3s available), 14 TO/G and never less than 11 points of usage on the floor. I think that offense is plenty... with elite defense and rebounding to boot.

I mean, I had the last pick so I am a little behind the eight ball to begin with since it is not ABBA but I think the offense is underestimated in this case.
7/18/2017 1:55 PM (edited)
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
80s Decade League Evals Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.