Recruiting Coin Flips Topic

Posted by mbriese on 7/19/2017 1:03:00 PM (view original):
Posted by plague on 7/19/2017 12:48:00 PM (view original):
Its pretty simple. The odds are straight forward at 62-38. The random computer generated die is rolled and if its 1-62 you win, if its 63-100 the other guy wins. Odds are in your favor by 62% not 100%. Personally I like the new system compared to the old system of the better prestige team wins 100 percent of the time.
Completely agree on this. I've lost three consecutive battles where I was 60%+, but that's just the nature of the game. Prior to this I've won the majority of battles where I was the favorite. It's pretty straightforward, I'm confused by people crying "not fair".
I am not sure where I stand in recruiting luck but I have cursed under my breath at some lost battles. I have vented in conference chat. I have never said that I like the old system better than this system. I feel like I have a good grasp of the new system and how to better my team with the new system, but I am still learning and trying to improve.

I will say in my opinion this is a much better system than the old system where the only factors were money and prestige. There is much more strategy under the new system and the new system gives you hope even if its a small hope against teams with much better odds.

I think a lot of the complaining comes from people who either like the old system better of trickle down recruiting or they don't understand the new system and how the odds actually work.
7/19/2017 1:10 PM
My only real complaint with showing the odds is that this was changed after the launch. I wish they used this effort/desire to make changes post launch on something else that really does impact gameplay like the considering list.
7/19/2017 1:15 PM
I know this is a sim game. but there are no sure things in real life.

For example , A kid is 68% sure that he wants to go to Wake Forest, especially since they give steroids to their freshman. They are ranked number #1 in the nation. But his family & girlfriend wants him at a lesser school, and he was only slightly interested, say 32%. At the last second he feels that the steroids will give him man boobs, and he doesn't want to cheat like that, so last minute he decides to go to the lesser school.

No sure things with people even in real life!
7/19/2017 6:52 PM (edited)
Its pretty simple. The odds are straight forward at 62-38. The random computer generated die is rolled and if its 1-62 you win, if its 63-100 the other guy wins. Odds are in your favor by 62% not 100%. Personally I like the new system compared to the old system of the better prestige team wins 100 percent of the time.
Completely agree on this. I've lost three consecutive battles where I was 60%+, but that's just the nature of the game. Prior to this I've won the majority of battles where I was the favorite. It's pretty straightforward, I'm confused by people crying "not fair".
Yea this is the way I look at it. I just lost a recruit that I was favorited for thr entire time. I only have 1 senior so he was my #1 and only target. It's definitely frustrating, know I lost despite being the preferred school, but I wouldn't consider it "unfair" at all.
7/19/2017 4:15 PM
Posted by MWalpole on 7/19/2017 4:15:00 PM (view original):
Yea this is the way I look at it. I just lost a recruit that I was favorited for thr entire time. I only have 1 senior so he was my #1 and only target. It's definitely frustrating, know I lost despite being the preferred school, but I wouldn't consider it "unfair" at all.
A huge AMEN brother!
7/19/2017 4:54 PM
Posted by wvufan76 on 7/19/2017 4:54:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MWalpole on 7/19/2017 4:15:00 PM (view original):
A huge AMEN brother!
He said that he wouldn't consider it unfair.
7/19/2017 6:09 PM
When Deandre Jordan was being recruited in the NBA he was probably 99 percent Dallas and 1 percent LA clippers and he went with the 1 percent.
7/20/2017 2:36 AM
I hate losing the battles where I have an obvious advantage, but then you win some where you felt sure you would lose and that's a nice surprise. It all evens out over time. The way I try to look at it is like this: From a sports writer's perspective about 65% thought he would choose school A and 35% thought he would choose school B. He went with the school that 1/3 of the writers thought he would go to. But they were not that surprised because that school was a definite possibility.
7/20/2017 8:38 PM
Posted by chapelhillne on 7/20/2017 8:38:00 PM (view original):
I hate losing the battles where I have an obvious advantage, but then you win some where you felt sure you would lose and that's a nice surprise. It all evens out over time. The way I try to look at it is like this: From a sports writer's perspective about 65% thought he would choose school A and 35% thought he would choose school B. He went with the school that 1/3 of the writers thought he would go to. But they were not that surprised because that school was a definite possibility.
This is how they should have framed the new recruiting. Like 247's crystal ball. With periodic media updates like "Bill Murray just got back from his visit to Xavier's campus and he loved it! But he's still concerned about moving so far from home"

Then you have the predicted landing spot using the VH H moderate etc.
7/20/2017 9:05 PM
I guess that sounds an awful lot like WOTS... why'd they get rid of that again?
7/20/2017 9:06 PM
Posted by plague on 7/19/2017 1:10:00 PM (view original):
I am not sure where I stand in recruiting luck but I have cursed under my breath at some lost battles. I have vented in conference chat. I have never said that I like the old system better than this system. I feel like I have a good grasp of the new system and how to better my team with the new system, but I am still learning and trying to improve.

I will say in my opinion this is a much better system than the old system where the only factors were money and prestige. There is much more strategy under the new system and the new system gives you hope even if its a small hope against teams with much better odds.

I think a lot of the complaining comes from people who either like the old system better of trickle down recruiting or they don't understand the new system and how the odds actually work.
I agree, never post!!! But spot on!!!
7/21/2017 4:29 AM
Posted by Benis on 7/20/2017 9:05:00 PM (view original):
Posted by chapelhillne on 7/20/2017 8:38:00 PM (view original):
This is how they should have framed the new recruiting. Like 247's crystal ball. With periodic media updates like "Bill Murray just got back from his visit to Xavier's campus and he loved it! But he's still concerned about moving so far from home"

Then you have the predicted landing spot using the VH H moderate etc.
I think this would be a cool feature.
7/21/2017 2:14 PM
I must be missing something on the whole 3.0 is better thing. I have a whale of a time getting talent whatsoever at Providence. I have managed to get 1 4-star player in 5 seasons. I keep getting overun by the elite programs. Even if I have proximity advantage, max out home visits, do 60 AP (out of 60 available) I still lose. Then I end up with walk-ons or taking players nobody wants. I've yet to beat out a major program for a recruit. What's worse is that if/when I miss out, all other recruits have someone Very High on them already at a higher prestige. So what hope do I have to peel any off? The second recruiting period seems pointless in this respect. I can throw all my remaining budget at someone but without getting in the cumulative attention points early, I don't have a chance to compete. Recruiting was always easy for me at D3 but I also had an A-range prestige for 30 seasons.
7/27/2017 6:14 PM
I have currently lost 9 recruits in a row where I was ahead at my current school. Just hoping a praying I get a couple of bones thrown my way this season....
7/27/2017 10:01 PM
Posted by damonh1992_ on 7/27/2017 10:01:00 PM (view original):
I have currently lost 9 recruits in a row where I was ahead at my current school. Just hoping a praying I get a couple of bones thrown my way this season....
It's rough man. My streak is only up to 3 straight guys lost despite having the highest odds. Hoping to catch a break once in a while. It's just killed me because I only have 1 scholarship so I'm pretty much all in until I lose the guy and then I scramble and start from scratch.
7/30/2017 11:22 AM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
Recruiting Coin Flips Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.