Recruiting Coin Flips Topic

Posted by kbc167 on 7/27/2017 6:14:00 PM (view original):
I must be missing something on the whole 3.0 is better thing. I have a whale of a time getting talent whatsoever at Providence. I have managed to get 1 4-star player in 5 seasons. I keep getting overun by the elite programs. Even if I have proximity advantage, max out home visits, do 60 AP (out of 60 available) I still lose. Then I end up with walk-ons or taking players nobody wants. I've yet to beat out a major program for a recruit. What's worse is that if/when I miss out, all other recruits have someone Very High on them already at a higher prestige. So what hope do I have to peel any off? The second recruiting period seems pointless in this respect. I can throw all my remaining budget at someone but without getting in the cumulative attention points early, I don't have a chance to compete. Recruiting was always easy for me at D3 but I also had an A-range prestige for 30 seasons.
I am still learning the new system but in my opinion you will need a B- prestige to be competitive with a high vs very high against A prestige schools. 60 AP going against a A school with a C prestige is not going to cut it.
7/30/2017 11:11 PM (edited)
That sounds about right, plague.
7/31/2017 5:52 AM
If your preference match is good - especially if you have a distance advantage, or if the recruit wants a rebuild, AND you go all the way in, meaning max promises *prior to* visits, you can have a shot at hanging with a school 2 full grades up. Especially because A+ caliber teams are often more hesitant to promise max minutes until they have to, at which point they don't get max value for them.

But in general, yeah it's kind of a fools errand to try and beat an A+ team for a recruit they will prioritize highly, unless you're at least B-.
7/31/2017 5:50 PM
Posted by chapelhillne on 7/20/2017 8:38:00 PM (view original):
I hate losing the battles where I have an obvious advantage, but then you win some where you felt sure you would lose and that's a nice surprise. It all evens out over time. The way I try to look at it is like this: From a sports writer's perspective about 65% thought he would choose school A and 35% thought he would choose school B. He went with the school that 1/3 of the writers thought he would go to. But they were not that surprised because that school was a definite possibility.
I'm hoping some time soon I win some battles. I think my winning percentage is something around 2% and sad part was some of the losses were to sims and some were to Div. 2 teams (though none of those recent). In response to some earlier posts, I can't even sniff the zip code of the recruits I used to get in 2.0. My players in 2.0 used to be fairly highly ranked in their position (top 20) and I could crack the rankings. This season, due to being in 3.0 for so long, my team (Arizona St. in Rupp) is worse since probably about the time I jumped from Div. 3 to Div. 2. Due to the watering down of recruits, the sneaky tactics of fellow Div. 1 teams, and Div. 2 and 3 teams getting Div. 1 recruits, the middle guys like myself get smashed and I really don't have players that fit my system. I would love a 4.0 that would allow schools like myself to actually compete in their conference. I blind recruit so often that the 3 blind mice have better vision than myself with these recruits. A C recruit seems to be worse than an F recruit, but yet things are ok with this game. Sure. I don't care to hear their explanation on this one. Believe me I've heard so much advice that contradicts each other with 3.0 that it clearly shows fault with this game. In real life, ASU would land a top 25 recruit once in a while. I'm now at the point where I just have to be more patient than the people running this game and wait for version 4.0 that will force the little school coaches to have to move to the big conferences and dramatically reduce the number of little schools that win the big recruits. Yes, I do understand that could get me fired from my school if they did that, but at least it would be nice if they fixed this game to more match reality than the twisted game this is.
8/1/2017 1:44 AM
BTW, the max anyone can give a player is 80 so anything short of 80 means you'll lose probably at least in Rupp. So, you are messed up at least in Rupp if you are a C+ and can only give 60 to a player. I don't know what other worlds are like that.
8/1/2017 1:49 AM
Hey animal,
it's a tough situation being caught between elite Big-6 schools, and solid mid-majors.

If i could recommend something... your non-conference schedule for next year should avoid teams that will have a lot of freshmen (these teams will have really bad W-L records). Beating weak teams like those will depress your RPI.

8/1/2017 10:52 AM
◂ Prev 1234
Recruiting Coin Flips Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.