Late Round Big Leaguers Topic

Here's what I find interesting about Gross. That's a potential 1/1 player. Usually I look for one or two weird ratings, or maybe a mislabelled position, that would make me think "that's why so many scouting reports could have buried him". Gross is a legit 89 overall at age 23, with decent health.

Which makes me think, okay, there might be no "logic" to it. The sim is just hiding these guys at complete random.

Also, note that he was drafted at age 18. If he hadn't been signed, he might never show up anywhere again, like Roy Hobbs.

7/28/2017 3:02 PM
I don't know what a 1/1 player is, but my issue is that it penalizes the $20M college scouting folks.
7/28/2017 5:48 PM
How so?
7/28/2017 6:13 PM
$20M in college scouting results in no ??? players.
7/28/2017 6:23 PM
No it doesn't. Odds are 20m in college means you see 7 of the top 10 college players. You NEVER see all of them.
7/28/2017 6:29 PM
1/1 player means round 1 pick 1.

True, 20M college scouting means - usually, not always - that you can see a full 500 projected prospects. I've occasionally seen less, something like 450-ish.

However, those college prospects make better, more useful mid-level players. Your minor league teams will have older, higher rated players.

True, 20M high school scouting means you'll see only 200 to 300 projected prospects. That means lots of ??? players which means lots of lottery tickets. But only about your top 100 prospects will ever be any good at all. Kinda sucks to see your 120th rated prospect projecting to a 40 overall, and then you might end up drafting that kind of player in the 7th or 8th round.

These late-round gems show up in the college prospects too, not just HS. But as we're talking about them, remember that no one knows exactly how often or where they will show up.

7/28/2017 7:14 PM
Posted by damag on 7/28/2017 7:14:00 PM (view original):
1/1 player means round 1 pick 1.

True, 20M college scouting means - usually, not always - that you can see a full 500 projected prospects. I've occasionally seen less, something like 450-ish.

However, those college prospects make better, more useful mid-level players. Your minor league teams will have older, higher rated players.

True, 20M high school scouting means you'll see only 200 to 300 projected prospects. That means lots of ??? players which means lots of lottery tickets. But only about your top 100 prospects will ever be any good at all. Kinda sucks to see your 120th rated prospect projecting to a 40 overall, and then you might end up drafting that kind of player in the 7th or 8th round.

These late-round gems show up in the college prospects too, not just HS. But as we're talking about them, remember that no one knows exactly how often or where they will show up.

I still don't understand why we can't/don't see the entire draft pool. The $ you spend in scouting would give you a more/less fuzzy projected rating. Spend 2MIL in scouting get lots of ???? and wacked out ratings. Spend 20MIL and you see projections that are within 10-15% of the projected rating.
8/3/2017 4:04 PM
There has to be a method to it.. some owners seem to get a lot of them, same with the diamond in the rough.
8/3/2017 4:13 PM
Has anyone gotten one of these guys when the position and age was visible but the ratings were all ? -- or are these players where the position AND the ratings are all ? -- not sure what the difference is between them.
8/10/2017 5:58 PM
Just noticed another one in one of my leagues, 18th round, 94 OVR. Behold Bo "Mike Trout" Whitaker
9/4/2017 10:11 PM
I usually don't get anything but fodder with my late picks but this guy looks like he might have shot, 15th round a season a go.. No stud but solid.

Player Profile: Miguel Lee - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports
9/5/2017 4:36 AM (edited)
Posted by brianplath on 9/4/2017 10:11:00 PM (view original):
Just noticed another one in one of my leagues, 18th round, 94 OVR. Behold Bo "Mike Trout" Whitaker
Man that's crazy.
9/5/2017 4:35 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
This guy wasn't a late rounder but might have been if I didn't pick him up with my first pick at #52. Guy was #1 on my board (with admittedly shaky scouting of $12M) Not sure how every team passed on him unless a) my scouting is way off and he doesn't develop anymore or b) he was another one of these guys who almost every team seems to not be able to see.
10/16/2017 7:17 PM
Question. Do the insane projected ratings show up only after you sign the player?
11/5/2017 11:18 AM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Late Round Big Leaguers Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.