What is your earliest sports memory? Topic

There was a question on SB Nation.....what is your earliest sports memory? For me it’s watching major league baseball on Saturday afternoons on a black and white Motorola TV in our living room with my Dad in New Orleans in 1961. I was 3 years old. Curt Gowdy, Dizzy Dean, Mickey Mantle, Roger Maris and Falstaff beer commercials.

7/20/2017 4:40 PM
1968 World Series on TV is most vivid memory, , probably game 5. . Lived in Motown back then and the City was "kind of" recovering from the '67 Riots. Had heard about McLain, Kaline's injury, and all that stuff (year of Northrup and his 4 regular season grand slams + one in game six of the series, WTF?). Grainy B&W TV in dining room (the TV was small and on a stand we could move around)..... Earlier that year I attended a Tigers-A's game with our Cub Scout troop. While the troop number is lost to history, the memory of all the girls in the area espousing on Mickey Stanley's "cuteness" remains in my mind. We had cheap seats in the center field bleachers. I guess that's a memory too, but just can't come up with any details other than the walk into the Stadium from the bus, the sunny day, spending my small allotment of money on an 8"x10" photo pack (Don Demeter? Chuck Dressen? they must have been recycling some old photo stock). Still have those photos someplace in a box.....
7/20/2017 6:01 PM (edited)
My dad talking about seeing all 3 Alou brothers play the outfield in the same game(I don't think they all started). And telling me he wanted to name me "Ryne" after his favorite player,, Ryne Duren. My first memory was seeing Willie Stargell hit a bomb at Shea Stadium
7/20/2017 5:47 PM
The '85 Bears Super Bowl win over the Patriots was my first true memory of an individual event. I was almost 4 years old. I remember we went over to my aunt and uncle's house to watch it and I was excited just because everybody else was. I had "helped" my Dad with his confidence pool picks all year that season (by putting the highest possible points on the Bears every week, which turned out to be a very solid strategy), so it was my first real exposure to actually following professional sports instead of just being generally aware that they existed.
7/20/2017 5:48 PM
Earliest baseball memory was a Chicago White Sox/Cleveland Indians game in 1986. A part-time pro scout who was doing some regional work for the Indians (his biggest claim to fame was scouting Jim Thome extensively) worked with my Dad's company and got us down by the dugouts before the game. My brother was older and met a number of players and got a lot of autographs. I wasn't allowed to get quite as close but I got one autograph on a baseball. "To Danny, Best Wishes, Bobby Bonilla". Ha.
7/20/2017 5:55 PM
Posted by skunk206 on 7/20/2017 5:48:00 PM (view original):
The '85 Bears Super Bowl win over the Patriots was my first true memory of an individual event. I was almost 4 years old. I remember we went over to my aunt and uncle's house to watch it and I was excited just because everybody else was. I had "helped" my Dad with his confidence pool picks all year that season (by putting the highest possible points on the Bears every week, which turned out to be a very solid strategy), so it was my first real exposure to actually following professional sports instead of just being generally aware that they existed.
4 years old and helping Dad make money? It sounds as if he was relying on your wisdom. I hope you're still making some coin on the NFL.
7/20/2017 6:05 PM
Posted by skunk206 on 7/20/2017 5:55:00 PM (view original):
Earliest baseball memory was a Chicago White Sox/Cleveland Indians game in 1986. A part-time pro scout who was doing some regional work for the Indians (his biggest claim to fame was scouting Jim Thome extensively) worked with my Dad's company and got us down by the dugouts before the game. My brother was older and met a number of players and got a lot of autographs. I wasn't allowed to get quite as close but I got one autograph on a baseball. "To Danny, Best Wishes, Bobby Bonilla". Ha.
heard Bonilla collected another big check from the Mets recently. I think it's safe to say he signed a very good deal for himself with the team.
7/20/2017 6:06 PM
So my dad's side of the family grew up in Detroit, and i was born in Michigan, but moved to Houston when i was very young because my dad works for Chevron and his job required him to move. My dad used to tell me about watching the 1968 World Series in elementary school because it was such a big deal.

Anyways for me.

So the Astros used to be good in the early 2000s, my first memory is going to Minute Maid, being behind the third base dugout in a game against the Diamondbacks (back when they were purple) We won but i don't recall any of it. We went to another game that year, Mike Lamb hit a grand slam off the right field "fowl pole"and we won Chik-fil-a chicken sandwiches. I also remember keeping track of the games we went to. The Astros were 11-3 in games i went to from 2003-2005 (a .785 win%). I routinely went back up to Michigan every summer to visit family. My first game in Comerica, we were allowed to walk on the field before the game, everyone's just taking pictures, i remember my Uncle Andy taking pictures for 3-4 families we never seen before. It's 2007, the Grandyman is having that insane year where he batted .300 with 20+ doubles, triples, homers, and steals. What I remember from that game is that with a runner on, Craig Monroe comes up to bat. The scoreboard said he had 7 homers in the 7th inning or later that year, and he hits the go ahead homer. Oh and Granderson hit a triple that game cuz of course he did.

So there it is. I only remember images and very few details from games i attended before i turned 7. And my first vivid memory was a Tigers game with my whole family when i was 9.
7/20/2017 6:20 PM
Listening to Jack Buck call Gibson's no-hitter against the Pirates. We had one of those big stereo cabinets in the living room.

We were spoiled, had Buck doing baseball, Dan Kelly calling the Blues games...
7/20/2017 6:44 PM
Reading these stories made me remember the first games I ever actually went to. I saw the Houston Colt .45's play at Colt Stadium in 1964. The next year I got to see the Astros play in the brand new Houston Astrodome. One game was against the Phillies and the other game was against the Pirates, but I don't remember which game was against which team.
7/20/2017 8:37 PM
Wondering why the Mets were playing at 11 am against the pirates on July 4th
7/20/2017 9:05 PM
Mets played Washington on July 4th
7/20/2017 9:18 PM
Immaculate Reception game at my cousins. Ugh.
7/20/2017 10:09 PM
Charlie Harper playing 2nd string right OT on the NY Football Giants in black and white on TV

something like that

my dad's cousin or something

7/20/2017 11:05 PM
Tom Seaver's near-perfect game against the then-division leading Cubs on my 9th birthday 1969, and the growing excitement about the Mets' pennant chances.
7/21/2017 7:42 AM
12 Next ▸
What is your earliest sports memory? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.