What is your earliest sports memory? Topic

Posted by skunk206 on 7/20/2017 5:48:00 PM (view original):
The '85 Bears Super Bowl win over the Patriots was my first true memory of an individual event. I was almost 4 years old. I remember we went over to my aunt and uncle's house to watch it and I was excited just because everybody else was. I had "helped" my Dad with his confidence pool picks all year that season (by putting the highest possible points on the Bears every week, which turned out to be a very solid strategy), so it was my first real exposure to actually following professional sports instead of just being generally aware that they existed.
Pretty much the same here, 7 yrs old, except on the Patriots side.....we had the "bigger" tv of the family, so cousins and such came over for the afc championship the week before. "Squish the fish" was the big slogan in NE....didn't pay much attention to that game, but did watch the Superbowl

1st baseball memory is reading was in late April of '86, reading the local paper about the "Clemens guy" who set some kind of record by striking out damn near everybody, or so it felt....he became my favorite after that
7/21/2017 8:02 AM
I don't remember which came first, but my first major sporting events both came when I was 4-5 years old. I remember seeing the Mariners play the Blue Jays on a chilly night at Exhibition Stadium and the Flames, in their bright red 80s unis, taking on the Leafs at Maple Leaf Gardens.
7/21/2017 3:21 PM
watching my beloved Pirates-a good hitting team-get shut out 1-0 in both games of a doubleheader vs NYM in 1969.I was there at Forbes Field-10yo-and the Mets pitchers drove in both runs
7/23/2017 10:39 PM
"Little League Day" at Griffith Stadium in 1958 or 59. The let us walk around the inside perimeter of the park before we took out seats. Strongest memory is of walking by two Senators warming up. I'd never seen a ball thrown so hard.
7/24/2017 11:12 AM
Watching Dizzy Dean And Pee Wee Reese calling games on Saturday afternoons. Also Dizzy saying time out for a fallstaff
8/2/2017 7:10 AM
Posted by farleyfustle on 7/23/2017 10:39:00 PM (view original):
watching my beloved Pirates-a good hitting team-get shut out 1-0 in both games of a doubleheader vs NYM in 1969.I was there at Forbes Field-10yo-and the Mets pitchers drove in both runs
Looked up the box scores for those games and saw the two games produced a total of 21 hits. The playing time of the two games was just over 4 hours which is about the same as a typical BoSox v. Yanks game nowadays.
8/2/2017 6:19 PM
Probably, one of my older brothers teaching me how to hold and swing a plastic bat, to hit a pitched plastic ball.
8/2/2017 9:48 PM
Ivan DeJesus making a leaping grab of a line drive over his head for the Cubs, circa 1978 sticks in my mind.
8/19/2017 9:42 AM
My gray Boston Patriots hoodie when I was about 4 or 5 (around 69-70). And my first baseball cards around the same time.
8/19/2017 10:48 AM
◂ Prev 12
What is your earliest sports memory? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.