Is this how distro works? Topic

"If you have two guys set at 20, but one guy is getting 28 minutes of playing time a game while the other is only playing 18, they are not going to be getting the same number of touches or shots per game."

Sure, that's why I usually have bench guys who are great scorers with jacked up distro. Pretty common I'd think.

But yes to your last part- for sure. Different strokes for different folks. Some techniques are probably a little better than others but I don't think it's huge. Get the guys who are good scorers the ball.
7/28/2017 8:34 AM
I agree with Spud here. Even when I used big numbers, I had them add up to around 80, so I could emphasize someone without lowering others and worrying about that.
7/28/2017 8:47 AM
Going back to the "superstitions" thread, I always total 100. Because using something else would be weird and I'd definitely lose that game. .
7/28/2017 9:13 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 7/28/2017 8:31:00 AM (view original):
Posted by poncho0091 on 7/28/2017 12:34:00 AM (view original):
He was never arguing that your math was wrong. He was stating why bother calculating when you can set it to 100 distro and have the percentages you want without calculating anything.
But that's not how it's going to play out.

If you have two guys set at 20, but one guy is getting 28 minutes of playing time a game while the other is only playing 18, they are not going to be getting the same number of touches or shots per game.

The bottom line: there is no "right" way to set up distribution. There are way too many factors that are going to impact it who is getting the looks and taking the shots, including depth chart rotations, substitution settings, player stamina, game tempo, defensive double teams, etc.

The best you can do is try to set up something that gives a general sense of "I want this guy to get the most, that guy to get the least, etc." and hope it plays out the way you want. Whether you do that on a team-wide scale of 100, or an individual scale of 1-5 (which is what I prefer), it doesn't really matter, as long as you monitor and adjust accordingly as the season progresses.
You're right, of course. Don't let the confused guys throw you off. That goes for newbies reading this thread, too. Math is still math.
7/28/2017 10:34 AM
◂ Prev 123
Is this how distro works? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.