Double teaming two players vs one Topic

1) Does double-teaming one player = slight reduction in that players output in terms fg% and increased TO + slight increase in all other offensive players on the floor?
2) Does double-teaming two players (instead of one) result in even higher fg% boost to the remaining 3 offensive players on the floor?
7/27/2017 12:51 PM
I honestly think that double teaming does nothing beneficial whatsoever. ymmv
7/29/2017 6:20 PM
Keeping in mind what the dt does in the sim.....stick the player(s) with the shot. If the opposing team has two players that shoot poorly, don't pass well and won't burn you at the stripe...by all means put the dt on both. Wrt to the double team - what you're to do to do is peel a few points off your opponents score, it's easier to take points off a poor player than a superstar. Duh!
7/11/2018 12:00 AM
(feel free to click on the respective owner's records info when comparing the two opposing viewpoints above

my opinion is more closely aligned to Ash's as I've seen too many 50 pt games from someone Ive doubled but in theory at least there are situations where you might find an exploit with a DT - if you are facing a poorly constructed team that just has one scoring engine and little support it might be worth it to try to see if you can trigger the individual penalty by forcing the ball away from the main dude (like that actually works) - there might also be interesting ways to use DTs and floor positioning (+/-) as well but at the end of the day more than likely DTs dont do much
7/11/2018 5:17 PM (edited)
I had an owner get mad at me once for DTing his 2 high usage guys, thus forcing the ball to others who underperformed as expected. Back then I used a lot of strong defenders like Moncrief so that helped too. DTing with Mike Miller probably won't get you much.

7/11/2018 6:17 PM
It doesn't seem like we've learned much about DTs over the last two years... or really *ever* other than what's in the one article. I'm cognizant of Ash's comment above, but I wonder if there are a few use cases for DTs other than the occasional team which egregiously relies on one player for scoring like Copernicus mentioned (almost invariably MJ). In particular I've been using DT against teams which really only have 2-3 scorers (two is pretty rare, but I've seen a Big 3 used often). I feel like I've had success doubling the two most dangerous scorers - if one of the three scorers comes off the bench, all the better!

I'm talking scenarios where the top 3 average 20+ PPG and no one else is above 12 or so PPG, I'm thinking of a 2 Steph, 1 LeBron team I just faced in particular, all USG over 30, no one else over 20. Same thing with a 2 Kobe, 1 Shaq team. Feels like in those scenarios it's worth it to 'knock out' two of their scorers, even though I know it doesn't affect their FG all that much, and the third scorer will probably perform somewhat better. Keeping defenders at home when they have, for example, Rodman at 10 usage and Muggsy at 15 usage just seems like a waste.

I don't mind saying this since I usually have at least 4 guys with decent USG, or Wilt who I think wrecks DTs single-handedly, so I feel like I tend to be pretty DT-proof as I understand it now. That said... this is all purely anecdotal, since the randomness of the sim makes this basically untestable, so I guess only Seble really knows.

PS: The one major exception is that I don't DT against State Farm teams, their shooting is so good even when they're doubled that I feel like it's best to just 'stay home' even if they try to funnel things to 1-2 scorers; Magic and Stockton in particular tend to have USG around 20-25 so they'll wreck you if you DT their teammates and leave them open.
10/30/2020 6:14 PM
Double teaming two players vs one Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.