Pitches per Batter? Topic

I've noticed in some of my box scores have been following batters faces and total pitch counts. Went through about 25 games of my pitchers and the opponents hurlers and have noticed every time the pitchers throw 3.0 to 3.5 pitches per batter. Obviously I have not been around the game very long but does this mean a walk is only 4 pitches, a strikeout is 3 pitches, no foul balls after a 2nd strike, and the play result is either a hit or an out on the first pitch? Apologize in advance if this has been discussed multiple times I have researched and couldn't find the answer.
7/29/2017 1:07 PM
If I understand what you're asking, nope
Simple example 10 pitches in one inning with a strikeout, a flyout, and a ground out. By your proposal that would only be 5 pitches.
Gene Garber, SV (24) 100 1.0 0 0 0 0 1 0 10 2.11
1972 St Louis Cardinals
B.Robertson enters the game at 1B as a defensive replacement.
G.Garber enters the game to pitch.
B.Carbo enters the game as a pinch-hitter for A.Santorini.
B.Carbo flies out to LCF.
L.Brock strikes out looking.
J.Torre grounds out to 3B.
7/29/2017 3:40 PM
Pitch count is a random number based on statistical averages from real life. There's a formula around here somewhere. A batter who puts the ball in play has the lowest average pitches per PA, one who strikes out is a bit less than 2 pitches higher, and a guy who walks is over 3 pitches higher on average.
7/31/2017 3:49 PM
Refer to contrarian23's pinned threads to see the formulas...
8/1/2017 9:28 PM
Pitches per Batter? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.