Here is a post from slayterhill that I though would be a really interesting idea:

This will probably be an unpopular idea, but what if they subsidized the cost of a big marketing campaign with in-game ads? If done correctly, I'd think it wouldn't be too intrusive and some ad revenue may help infuse the WIS team with marketing $$ or some developer time to work on improving the game. I would think you have a golden target demographic here, assuming most players have some amount of disposable income (you're paying $10+ a month to play a damn computer game).

Not sure I'm in favor of the idea, but I've often wondered why they don't do it. Seems like easy money to me. And probably a sacrifice I would make if it meant more players coming into the game and filling up the worlds.
Votes: 38
(Last vote received: 8/6/2017 8:24 PM)
7/31/2017 3:46 PM
How would it bring in more players?
7/31/2017 3:54 PM
no way! in-game ads would just be milking more cash from the existing paying players!

Fox has deep pockets. if they want to make money, they need to spend money. i don't even think they would use it explicitly for marketing. they'd likely just pocket that money too. now, I'd support ads if they replaced the existing fee for the game, and one could pay to remove them, etc. i do think the price for the first few seasons + the learning curve is a steep barrier to new players.
7/31/2017 4:19 PM (edited)
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/31/2017 3:54:00 PM (view original):
How would it bring in more players?
Ad campaign.

"help infuse the WIS team with marketing $$"
7/31/2017 4:28 PM
Posted by bathtubhippo on 7/31/2017 4:19:00 PM (view original):
no way! in-game ads would just be milking more cash from the existing paying players!

Fox has deep pockets. if they want to make money, they need to spend money. i don't even think they would use it explicitly for marketing. they'd likely just pocket that money too. now, I'd support ads if they replaced the existing fee for the game, and one could pay to remove them, etc. i do think the price for the first few seasons + the learning curve is a steep barrier to new players.
This is what scares me most about this idea. The thought that it would just be seen as added revenue and not be reinvested to improve the game or the user base.
7/31/2017 5:54 PM
No.
7/31/2017 6:16 PM
Posted by slayterhill on 7/31/2017 5:54:00 PM (view original):

This is what scares me most about this idea. The thought that it would just be seen as added revenue and not be reinvested to improve the game or the user base.
Well if WIS adds ads and sees it as added (pun intended--im freakin hilarious) capital then I'm super angry.
7/31/2017 7:46 PM
There are ads everywhere in life already. I avoid them as much as I can. Still surprised politicians don't wear clothes with their sponsors all over them like NASCAR drivers do. Now if a company out there wants to give me a few million dollars to name my virtual basketball arena after them I might consider it. Even going to give WIS a portion if that happens..
7/31/2017 9:19 PM (edited)
I can ignore pretty much anything. As long as I can still read my box scores, cover half the page.

FYI, I doubt WifS makes "thousands" per month off HD or at least not enough to throw a pile of money into advertising. We know it's about .24 per day for 2500ish users. That's 15k-16k. Throw in credits and discounts. Maybe 10-12k. This game really isn't a cash cow.
8/1/2017 6:56 AM
well, WIS might not make money but FOX sure does, so my point was simply if they want to try and market/expand this game, then great. but they shouldn't double-dip on paying customers in order to milk every dime from us. emphasis on paying. if they don't charge for the game, put ads everywhere, whatever, and let people pay to remove the ads.

i do feel like most popular games these days are free to start and they charge you for in-game purchases or to remove ads. they hook you in with the free part and then you have to pay to unlock things to make the game more playable/fun. WIS could certainly do that given how many features there are that the user gets to set. you want a team? free. you want to scout beyond your own state/top 100? pay $1. you want to set your own distribution? $1. you want to make your own non-conf schedule? $1. etc, etc, etc.
8/1/2017 10:33 AM
Posted by mbriese on 7/31/2017 6:16:00 PM (view original):
No.
agreed
8/1/2017 10:55 AM
Posted by bathtubhippo on 8/1/2017 10:33:00 AM (view original):
well, WIS might not make money but FOX sure does, so my point was simply if they want to try and market/expand this game, then great. but they shouldn't double-dip on paying customers in order to milk every dime from us. emphasis on paying. if they don't charge for the game, put ads everywhere, whatever, and let people pay to remove the ads.

i do feel like most popular games these days are free to start and they charge you for in-game purchases or to remove ads. they hook you in with the free part and then you have to pay to unlock things to make the game more playable/fun. WIS could certainly do that given how many features there are that the user gets to set. you want a team? free. you want to scout beyond your own state/top 100? pay $1. you want to set your own distribution? $1. you want to make your own non-conf schedule? $1. etc, etc, etc.
I almost puked.
8/3/2017 1:07 PM
Posted by bathtubhippo on 8/1/2017 10:33:00 AM (view original):

F that ^^. Even WIS wouldn't consider. And thank god.
8/3/2017 1:26 PM
Yeah... I'd probably quit if they did that.
8/3/2017 2:00 PM

How would in-game ads be getting cash from existing players?
8/3/2017 2:27 PM
12 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.