My thoughts on in-game ads:

If it's just something that's off to the side of the screen, like what happens on Facebook, then it's easy to ignore. No problem with that. As long as the money is being reinvested into the game, hopefully as a combination of marketing and game improvements. Though I could see that it could become extremely awkward if you're accessing the game on a mobile device, particularly a smartphone. You've got very little screen real-estate to deal with there to inject ads.

However, if it's something more intrusive, like being forced to watch a 15 second commercial for some product or service whenever you click on the boxscore for your most recent game, then that would be a huge ******* disaster. No thanks.
8/3/2017 2:34 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 8/3/2017 2:27:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bathtubhippo on 7/31/2017 4:19:00 PM (view original):
no way! in-game ads would just be milking more cash from the existing paying players!

Fox has deep pockets. if they want to make money, they need to spend money. i don't even think they would use it explicitly for marketing. they'd likely just pocket that money too. now, I'd support ads if they replaced the existing fee for the game, and one could pay to remove them, etc. i do think the price for the first few seasons + the learning curve is a steep barrier to new players.
How would in-game ads be getting cash from existing players?
I'm pretty shocked to see a majority of participants in this poll saying "hey WIS, i pay for this game that you barely support but i want to see ads and give you more money." it's almost Stockholm syndrome-esque.

showing ads to paying players in the hopes they click and generate additional revenue is essentially double dipping on the same income source. people paying for a game/site should not expect to see ads. facebook advertising is not comparable--facebook is free.

re: the other apparently very unpopular suggestion i made, ie, "in-app purchases." say what you will but this is a popular model for a reason--it gets people in the door. keep in mind you would get your team for free under that idea and accrue credits just as you do now, so it really wouldn't be any different for your bottom line..if anything it might be cheaper. but you might get more new players to try the game out and get hooked, which was the idea of the whole thread. i see that as much more likely to be successful at hooking in new players than another "FREEHD" type marketing blitz. tough to get people to re-up when it's like $15 for the second season.
8/3/2017 3:43 PM
"than another "FREEHD" type marketing blitz. tough to get people to re-up when it's like $15 for the second season."

Agree the current setup stinks! Refer to my proposal for this issue here
8/3/2017 3:59 PM
So you lack the self-control to not click ads?
8/3/2017 4:00 PM
◂ Prev 12

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.