Recruiting Advice for DIII Coach Topic

Posted by mbriese on 8/1/2017 11:32:00 AM (view original):
I'd recommend saving a pocket ($5,000+) of money for the second recruiting cycle to use on scouting undecided D1 players in CA, TX, and FL (with a small budget you might just want to start with one of them). Every season there are players nobody goes after in both states that can be huge difference makers on a DIII team, and you can usually sign them without having to battle.
Nice. Good to know! I'll try that.
8/1/2017 12:23 PM
Posted by kaw_86 on 8/1/2017 12:23:00 PM (view original):
Posted by npb7768 on 8/1/2017 11:28:00 AM (view original):
Piece of huge advice:
In all levels, Athleticism and Defense are critical. In D-3, each should be at a minimum of 50. Defense in the teens will make your team struggle.
Gotcha. Do you mean minimum of 50 by the end of their careers, or minimum of 50 as a recruit?
By the end.

Also, a lot of guys through target #'s around and they aren't all really good. My favorite is when people say you should shoot 3's in D3 unless you have a PERIMETER above 90 :)

As a general rule, try to recruit guys who will be better than you have. If you're current SG's cores are in the 50's try to get the next ones with more than that! It's simple but it works.
8/1/2017 12:28 PM
Posted by kaw_86 on 8/1/2017 11:02:00 AM (view original):
Posted by gomiami1972 on 8/1/2017 11:02:00 AM (view original):
Posted by kaw_86 on 8/1/2017 10:58:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/1/2017 10:56:00 AM (view original):
I seldom commit anything more than AP during the first session. D1 won't sign until last day of RS2 so dumping HV/CV on them before then is a fool's game, IMO. Unless, of course, you're trying to scare off another D3. D2 will sign on first cycle of RS2.
That's good info. Do you hold off on recruiting/offering DIII players until the second session too? Or do you ignore DIII altogether?
There are so many DI and DII players available due to low human populations that recruiting DIII players is probably not necessary.
Well, that's a big change. That explains why I'm getting what I think to be some of the better DIII guys and not competing. Lol.
I don't know why my original post was deleted...maybe I accidentally removed it, who knows. Several seasons ago a vet coach tried to recruit only DIII players to see if they could compete. I haven't seen any updates on that experiment but, since the topic is not longer active, I assume the experiment did not go well. It's a shame. I had many deep NT runs at DIII recruiting only DIII players (with an occasional DII pulldown) in 1.0 and 2.0. That no longer seems to be a viable strategy in the latest update. DIII generated players are now for SIMs only.
8/1/2017 12:33 PM
Posted by gomiami1972 on 8/1/2017 12:33:00 PM (view original):
I seldom commit anything more than AP during the first session. D1 won't sign until last day of RS2 so dumping HV/CV on them before then is a fool's game, IMO. Unless, of course, you're trying to scare off another D3. D2 will sign on first cycle of RS2.
That's good info. Do you hold off on recruiting/offering DIII players until the second session too? Or do you ignore DIII altogether?
There are so many DI and DII players available due to low human populations that recruiting DIII players is probably not necessary.
Well, that's a big change. That explains why I'm getting what I think to be some of the better DIII guys and not competing. Lol.
I don't know why my original post was deleted...maybe I accidentally removed it, who knows. Several seasons ago a vet coach tried to recruit only DIII players to see if they could compete. I haven't seen any updates on that experiment but, since the topic is not longer active, I assume the experiment did not go well. It's a shame. I had many deep NT runs at DIII recruiting only DIII players (with an occasional DII pulldown) in 1.0 and 2.0. That no longer seems to be a viable strategy in the latest update. DIII generated players are now for SIMs only.
That was TJ. The guy who commented right before you haha
8/1/2017 12:37 PM
Piece of huge advice:
In all levels, Athleticism and Defense are critical. In D-3, each should be at a minimum of 50. Defense in the teens will make your team struggle.
Gotcha. Do you mean minimum of 50 by the end of their careers, or minimum of 50 as a recruit?
Only because some n00b may be reading, this is generally good advice but zone D gives you a little more flexibility.

I have a 55/37 ATH/D SF with 90 LP. I have a 39/46 PF with 96 REB. Both start and get a total of 42.8 minutes. I'm ranked 11th, 13th RPI, 9 SOS and #8 on the projection report with the CT semis tonight. Those 90s make it worthwhile to skimp on D at SF(my guards are awesome) and ATH/D at PF(my C is 79/68/83 REB/D/BLK) in my 3-2.

Zone just plays a differently than man/press. Although, ideally, I'd love to have 50-60 in ATH/D but, when you're pulling down recruits, the D1/D2 schools like those guys too.
8/1/2017 12:37 PM
Posted by Benis on 8/1/2017 12:37:00 PM (view original):
Posted by gomiami1972 on 8/1/2017 12:33:00 PM (view original):
That was TJ. The guy who commented right before you haha
That's funny.
8/1/2017 12:40 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/1/2017 12:37:00 PM (view original):
Piece of huge advice:
Only because some n00b may be reading, this is generally good advice but zone D gives you a little more flexibility.

I have a 55/37 ATH/D SF with 90 LP. I have a 39/46 PF with 96 REB. Both start and get a total of 42.8 minutes. I'm ranked 11th, 13th RPI, 9 SOS and #8 on the projection report with the CT semis tonight. Those 90s make it worthwhile to skimp on D at SF(my guards are awesome) and ATH/D at PF(my C is 79/68/83 REB/D/BLK) in my 3-2.

Zone just plays a differently than man/press. Although, ideally, I'd love to have 50-60 in ATH/D but, when you're pulling down recruits, the D1/D2 schools like those guys too.
Makes sense. The 50/50 rule is good, particularly because I'm running so uptempo.
8/1/2017 12:49 PM
Yeah, press/fastbreak or man/FB is tough with weak D/ATH. But, as I said, my post was for others who might be reading.
8/1/2017 12:51 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 8/1/2017 12:28:00 PM (view original):
Piece of huge advice:
By the end.

Also, a lot of guys through target #'s around and they aren't all really good. My favorite is when people say you should shoot 3's in D3 unless you have a PERIMETER above 90 :)

As a general rule, try to recruit guys who will be better than you have. If you're current SG's cores are in the 50's try to get the next ones with more than that! It's simple but it works.
Right, look for players that can eventually get to 50 by junior year. I noticed your Manhattanville team has players with DEF in the teens, which is really too low (they'll foul continuously and give up a ton of points). There was a player I inherited on Crum Merrimack named Zeiss who I wanted to strangle. Had like 80+ PER but sucked on DEF and had a negative plus-minus.

https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerHistory/Stats.aspx?pid=2725297

I put him 2nd string by midseason my first year there, and the team improved. Guy was a fouling machine and played matador defense, despite his outstanding PER. Played solid off bench in limited minutes.

35+ is a general good starting point as long as potential is strong. Spend sophomore year in the 40's. Guards in D-3 can maybe substitute some ATH for good SPEED instead.

I also agree that some posters set unrealistic expectations on new players' targets. Back when I first started (Sept 2013), I was advised in D-3 to sign players whose ATH + DEF equaled 130 (something like that), which was basically impossible for me back then. I think 50 is a reasonable goal by junior year.
8/1/2017 1:06 PM (edited)
I'm fairly new to this game as well and this has been the recruiting trademark that I have used for my past seasons, it has worked so far but we will see how well I fair against human competition in the super conference I just joined.

I run zone and I like players with around 50 Ath and 50 Def. I only make exceptions for players with high PER and/or LP in which ill allow slightly lower D ratings off the bench which will be more or less 'hidden'. I like scouting D2 for my big men because speed isn't a required attribute for a zone C so I always get the tall slow 7 footers. My last C I recruited was 2nd team all American last season and I got him from D2. There are a lot of gems in D2 if you look hard enough and see great potentials in core areas.
8/1/2017 1:21 PM
Posted by wvufan76 on 8/1/2017 11:11:00 AM (view original):
At Ferrum, I don't even scout D3 any more. D2 and D1 only. Use the loop hole they have given us.
Same here. I don't even look at D3 anymore.
8/1/2017 2:27 PM
Posted by npb7768 on 8/1/2017 1:06:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Trentonjoe on 8/1/2017 12:28:00 PM (view original):
Piece of huge advice:
By the end.

Right, look for players that can eventually get to 50 by junior year. I noticed your Manhattanville team has players with DEF in the teens, which is really too low (they'll foul continuously and give up a ton of points). There was a player I inherited on Crum Merrimack named Zeiss who I wanted to strangle. Had like 80+ PER but sucked on DEF and had a negative plus-minus.

https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerHistory/Stats.aspx?pid=2725297

I put him 2nd string by midseason my first year there, and the team improved. Guy was a fouling machine and played matador defense, despite his outstanding PER. Played solid off bench in limited minutes.

35+ is a general good starting point as long as potential is strong. Spend sophomore year in the 40's. Guards in D-3 can maybe substitute some ATH for good SPEED instead.

I also agree that some posters set unrealistic expectations on new players' targets. Back when I first started (Sept 2013), I was advised in D-3 to sign players whose ATH + DEF equaled 130 (something like that), which was basically impossible for me back then. I think 50 is a reasonable goal by junior year.
Got it, I see what you're saying. I chose the freshmen I did because, in those categories (DEF, ATH, SPD), nearly all of them are green/blue in all of those. With their high WE, I figured that they could really blossom. It's a good baseline, though, to know that I should shoot for freshmen with DEF no lower than 35.
8/1/2017 2:32 PM
This is a great thread. Kaw, feel free to send a sitemail if you have any questions. A lot of great feeback on this thread.
8/1/2017 2:32 PM
Posted by bbunch on 8/1/2017 2:32:00 PM (view original):
This is a great thread. Kaw, feel free to send a sitemail if you have any questions. A lot of great feeback on this thread.
Yeah, I really appreciate all the help. It's definitely reset my expectations for recruiting.
8/1/2017 2:34 PM
Posted by kaw_86 on 8/1/2017 2:34:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bbunch on 8/1/2017 2:32:00 PM (view original):
Yeah, I really appreciate all the help. It's definitely reset my expectations for recruiting.
If WIS could find another 100 or so people like you, kaw, HD would be in good shape for the future.
8/1/2017 2:37 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
Recruiting Advice for DIII Coach Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.