another amateur draft issue Topic

I asked in my league and no one knew about this so I sent in a ticket about my draft population recently and got a response :
7/29/2017 7:06 AM cp49
I budgeted $14M for high school scouting and $6M for college scouting and when I got the potential draftee list it included 121 high school players and 239 college players. That makes no sense to me as I spent more than twice as much on HS scouting but got MANY fewer players to look at. Would you look at this and see if it's not backwards? Thank you.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8/1/2017 9:12 AM Customer Support
Hi Daniel,

In general, there are more college players than high school players. Also, you can only view the top 500, but you may be able to tweak your settings to see more.

Thanks.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My response: I'm sorry but I don't understand this? In real life there are many more HS players than college players just as there are many more college players than professionals. As to the top 500, I could only see 360 but if I'm spending 233% more on HS scouting it seems like I would see a lot more HS players than college?
8/1/2017 1:46 PM
Only HS seniors are available to be drafted. While incorrect, all 4 levels of college players can be drafted.
8/1/2017 1:47 PM
That's not incorrect. JuCo guys are eligible after both their freshman and sophomore years. 4-year guys are eligible after their junior and senior years or once they turn 21, whichever comes first.
8/1/2017 2:04 PM
Anyone know how to tweak the player pool list like the reply stated? I've tried both the formula builder and the weightings in the draft prep screen. Still see the same list of players, just in a different order.
8/1/2017 2:07 PM
Posted by strikeout26 on 8/1/2017 2:04:00 PM (view original):
That's not incorrect. JuCo guys are eligible after both their freshman and sophomore years. 4-year guys are eligible after their junior and senior years or once they turn 21, whichever comes first.
Are we disagreeing? I know the real life college rule is "after HS or after junior year in college".
8/1/2017 2:27 PM
So does it make sense to you guys that if I spend $14M on HS scouting and $6M on college that 68% of the players I see are in college?
8/1/2017 2:40 PM
The college pool is much bigger so I understand why it could happen.
8/1/2017 2:43 PM
It makes sense according to the relative numbers I've seen.

8/1/2017 3:02 PM
I looked up actual ML drafts and less than 1/3 of the actual draftees are generally HS players so it actually does make sense. My mistake.
8/1/2017 3:07 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/1/2017 2:27:00 PM (view original):
Posted by strikeout26 on 8/1/2017 2:04:00 PM (view original):
Are we disagreeing? I know the real life college rule is "after HS or after junior year in college".
That is the rule for guys who choose to go to 4-year schools, but if you go a junior college then you are draft eligible after your freshman and sophomore years.
8/1/2017 3:10 PM
Yeah, I knew that. Which is why I didn't think we were disagreeing. I just didn't realize every 19-20 y/o I drafted was JUCO. I'll be damned. Learned something today.
8/1/2017 4:15 PM
Lol. My bad. Misunderstood.
8/1/2017 6:58 PM
A college draftee can be a 3rd year sophomore as well.
8/2/2017 12:39 PM
True.
8/2/2017 12:48 PM
another amateur draft issue Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.