Re Blitzing: I sent in question to CS Topic

I sent in question to Customer Service and they answered.
8/3/2017 10:09 AM mojolad
I am running a 3-4 defense in the NC game. It is set for every play to have at least 20 % blitzing. Some situations are set as high as 40%.
But I only see a VERY occasional blitz.
At 20% shouldn't the team blitz at least every 1 out of 5 plays on average ?
Am I doing something wrong ? Please help me understand what to do here !
8/3/2017 3:35 PM Customer Support
Hi Mojo,

On each play, there is a 20% chance, or 40%, or X% based on your settings, that you will blitz. We would expect that the total number of blitzes in a game would be close to the percentages you had in your playbook.

There is not always a notification in the play-by-play that your team blitzed on a play. There could be a few plays where you are blitzing, but would not see anything of note in the play-by-play based on the play.
8/3/2017 4:36 PM
I learned from the above communication tween me and CS. I always thought if there was a blitz it would show in the PBP. Taint necessarily so !
Hope this helps someone else too.
8/3/2017 4:37 PM
Huh. Why on earth would they not reveal the blitzing 100% of the time?
8/3/2017 4:50 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
https://www.whatifsports.com/gd/GameResults/PlayByPlay.aspx?gid=6436156&quarter=1&view=1 Blitziscomin uses almost exclusive blitzing and it shows up plenty. I think CS is wrong on this.
8/3/2017 6:17 PM
Posted by lyonzfan37 on 8/3/2017 6:17:00 PM (view original):
https://www.whatifsports.com/gd/GameResults/PlayByPlay.aspx?gid=6436156&quarter=1&view=1 Blitziscomin uses almost exclusive blitzing and it shows up plenty. I think CS is wrong on this.
Agreed. That's a complete cop-out. AT BEST, it's an incomplete description of what they are trying to convey that ends up being misleading.

That said, I've run GPs where I blitzed 100% and saw it... oh, right... 100% of the time in the PBP.
8/3/2017 6:43 PM
Yes. If you play 100% pass on offense, does it ever run?

All of these settings are ratios, so it may or may not hit your setting in a given game.
8/3/2017 6:54 PM
Posted by lyonzfan37 on 8/3/2017 6:54:00 PM (view original):
Yes. If you play 100% pass on offense, does it ever run?

All of these settings are ratios, so it may or may not hit your setting in a given game.
Maybe all those passes I'm throwing - and which read as passes in the PBP - are actually runs that just don't show up in the text?
8/3/2017 7:11 PM
Posted by ebel331 on 8/3/2017 7:14:00 PM (view original):
" At 20% shouldn't the team blitz at least every 1 out of 5 plays on average ? "

Also, 'on average' is a pretty big number. A game is very small sample. You could have defense set at 20% blitz and not even see a blitz in a game. Another game lots of blitzes.

And I'm usually not a fan of using ratios like 20%. Might want to try more 100% or 0%. You either want to blitz or you don't. Don't leave it up to the sim, tell it exactly what you want to do.

But still, support is full of it.
This is why D3 is awful. Can you imagine being in the National Championship game and passing deep on 4th and 1? There's nothing stopping the sim from making a horrible call.
8/3/2017 7:20 PM
One of the first lessons I learned in my playbooks is I either have a 100% or 0% setting for everything. This eliminates the chance of the sim messing up.

If I have a run formation it is 100% run 0% pass. I will also have a pass formation that is 100% pass and 0% run. I can put both of those in the playbook as a 1st and 10 option and see the frequency the sim chooses the pass vs. run, but that is about as much as I want to leave up to the sim to choose for me.

As for blitzing ---- you either blitz or you don't. I agree with Lyonzfan that CS is wrong on this. There is no hidden blitz. The hidden blitz is in the land of unicorns and bigfoot --- not pretend football players.
8/3/2017 9:04 PM
You mean - There "IS" no land of unicorns and bigfoot ! ? I am crushed :-) .
Back to the Topic, I didn't want to blitz 100 percent. I wanted to do exactly what my settings were,
1st down = 20 %
2nd 20%
3rd 25%
4th 40%
My defense is usually pretty strong so I just wanted to see what would happen if I threw in some blitzing.
Maybe I accidentally Discovered one of those hidden programs within a program(I think it's called an Easter Egg ?) = The Hidden Blitz(Silent But Deadly :)
8/3/2017 9:49 PM
I agree with the 100%/0% guys and I have since the days of GD 1.0 (back then it was Always Run or Always Pass, but same outcome). I want to leave as little as possible to the Sim engine to decide.

So if you want anything not 100% or 0%, you're just going to have to accept the fact that you're not likely to get your desired percentages. I disagree with Support that "over the course of a game, you should see something near your percentages." Maybe in some games. That may be true over the course of a full season of games, but from game-to-game, I believe the sample size is too small to *always* converge close to your settings.
8/4/2017 10:51 AM
What we told mojolad is correct. There will not always be a description of a blitz in the play-by-play when the defense runs a blitz.
8/4/2017 1:47 PM
1234 Next ▸
Re Blitzing: I sent in question to CS Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.