Preferences definitely matter - my best signing Topic

Thought you guys would be interested in this. In Iba, I am at Hawaii. This season I had two openings. No talent at all in Hawaii. Since playing Fastbreak and Zone with 10 players is no big deal, I decided I would really focus on one player, and if I struck out I'd still be OK. Turned out that the #1 PG in the country, out of Colorado, had FB and Zone as preferences, in addition to Wants Success (where we were very good) and Strong Conference where we were also very good.

We have an A- prestige. With 2 openings you only have $11,000 so the most I could do in terms of HVs was 11 or I could do 9 HVs and 1 CV, which is what I ended up doing. From Hawaii, HVs to the mainland are $1,000 and CVs are $1700. I did spread out most of my AP in the first cycle, in case there was like an A+ team on him, but I put 20 on him. At the end of the first cycle, I was low, and the leader was Colorado, but they were a B prestige, and did not play FB or Zone. Air Force at A- was also on him but Very Low. and did not match FB or zone. Same with A- Iowa State. However, they could spend 20 more AP per cycle, and could afford to Max Out HVs and CVs.

I decided to put all 60 on him the rest of the way. I waited to do the HVs and CV and a start and 20 minutes until signings, because I didn't want to alert the others I was in the mix. It probably would not have mattered anyway though because I am sure they were all probably putting a lot of effort in. I felt like I was probably going to be in trouble because those other three schools were locked in a battle, although at signing time Colorado was Very High, while the other two were high, and we were, to my surprise also very high.

Anyway, he just signed with us. Pretty lucky as Colorado was 33%, we were 26% Air Force was 24% and (High), and Iowa State was 17% and High.

But I definitely feel pretty good about landing the #1 PG from the mainland with only two openings. And it shows how powerful preferences can be. And I also had 860 AP on him at signings, so the AP are important if you concentrate them on one or two players.
8/4/2017 7:15 AM
I agree Chapel and have been noticing the same thing the last couple of seasons where I've lost a couple of guys to a lower prestige team because they matched the Offense /Defense style better.
8/4/2017 8:27 AM
How much effort did the other teams put in?
8/4/2017 8:34 AM
Not sure It was the turning factor but prefs do help tremendously. How many APS other had?

8/4/2017 9:50 AM
Preferences is my new key "core" during recruiting.
8/4/2017 3:19 PM
Yeah, I concentrated my APS on two players too. Lost this one and another to GA Tech (lost despite leading a 69/31 "coin flip"). Obviously I had more invested in this pg since I didn't hit every single preference and was still the favorite to sign him. At the end of the day, this is less about preferences and more about luck.

So.....do "preferences really matter"? I think the only proper response to this is, "Is the Pope Catholic?".

8/4/2017 4:42 PM
The positions Francis takes actually makes me wonder at times if he is Catholic...a little too temporal for my tastes.
8/4/2017 4:57 PM
Prestige>Preferences

In my opinion of course.
8/4/2017 6:00 PM
Posted by getbedarded on 8/4/2017 4:42:00 PM (view original):
Yeah, I concentrated my APS on two players too. Lost this one and another to GA Tech (lost despite leading a 69/31 "coin flip"). Obviously I had more invested in this pg since I didn't hit every single preference and was still the favorite to sign him. At the end of the day, this is less about preferences and more about luck.

So.....do "preferences really matter"? I think the only proper response to this is, "Is the Pope Catholic?".

So what did you put into the PF we battled on?
I'd love to learn... Did you see my sitemail?
8/7/2017 2:05 PM
Posted by stewdog on 8/7/2017 2:05:00 PM (view original):
Posted by getbedarded on 8/4/2017 4:42:00 PM (view original):

So what did you put into the PF we battled on?
I'd love to learn... Did you see my sitemail?
Responded.
8/8/2017 12:02 AM
Posted by gomiami1972 on 8/4/2017 4:57:00 PM (view original):
The positions Francis takes actually makes me wonder at times if he is Catholic...a little too temporal for my tastes.
Fair callout, I did violate one of the two cardinal sins of posting on the internet (no politics, no religion). I should have just left it 5th grade with, "No duh!".
8/8/2017 12:05 AM
I have difficulty with the "Wants Rebuild" preference - it is often coupled with wanting a "Longtime Coach". Many of the rebuilds are teams that have been taken over recently - do those 2 preferences cancel each other out? How much value is there in the rebuild pref? The squad I just took over is a D+ prestige team - do I have a shot at a top 50 player that wants a rebuild? Any insight is appreciated.
8/21/2017 11:42 PM
Posted by opie5 on 8/21/2017 11:42:00 PM (view original):
I have difficulty with the "Wants Rebuild" preference - it is often coupled with wanting a "Longtime Coach". Many of the rebuilds are teams that have been taken over recently - do those 2 preferences cancel each other out? How much value is there in the rebuild pref? The squad I just took over is a D+ prestige team - do I have a shot at a top 50 player that wants a rebuild? Any insight is appreciated.
That really does need to be addressed. Rebuilds should not be coupled with long term Coach preferences.
8/22/2017 8:59 AM
I have learned that the rebuild preference doesn't mean squat - recruiting is all based on prestige.
8/26/2017 7:22 PM
I think it has some effect, but if you are a D team, and you are going against an A team, it is not going to be enough to offset the advantage that the prestige has, which is probably good for like a 4-5 star player. But if you could match several other preferences that the A team does not match, you might be able to be close enough to pull it off.
8/27/2017 2:09 PM
Preferences definitely matter - my best signing Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.