Ok. I'm new to this. Without giving away too many secrets I would like to know what are the main attributes to look for in a quality pitcher and position player.
There are so many for each I figure there are certain ones that mean more.

Basically. How do i know if a player is quality or has the potential to be quality.
Thanks in advance.
8/5/2017 1:33 PM
This should get you started

Abridged version is vRHB is the most important. Control, vLH, P1, and P2 round out the top five in no particular order. A weakness in one area can be made up for by really good ratings in the others. Also, GB/FB and Velocity are usually secondary ratings but having low ratings in both can get you in trouble if the other ratings aren't really good. Your best bet is to look at the historical performance of the pitchers in your league and the ratings behind their stats. Don't forget to account for park factor and the quality of positional player defense.
8/5/2017 2:31 PM (edited)
For position players it really depends what you are looking for. Power ratings are fairly consistent to performance but you often need to have reasonable contact numbers to go along with that. Players who hit both lefties and righties above 70 ratings are usually money but, again, other factors matter. Look for a rating above 90 in range and fielding if you value SS and CF to anchor the middle of your defense. Pitch calling is an important factor for catchers, as it can help your entire rotation. The key for you with regard to prospects is to know that (1) they grow by far the most in the first 3 years and (2) most players do not advance much after 4 years and (3) the great majority of prospects will not reach their fully rated potential. Of course, the amount that you invest in training in budgeting influences all of this, so you want to invest heavily there if you want to develop your players.
8/6/2017 12:24 PM
Look at 5 seasons of all-star players. Those are all-star ratings.

Look at 5 successful teams. Do what they do. You won't have an all-star at every position. You'll see there's more than one way to build a winning team.

Look at 5 really bad teams. Don't do that.
8/6/2017 4:46 PM
Memorize the defensive matrix, as it guides you to which players qualify at which position:
Position RA GL AS AA PC
C 10 30 75 75 50
1B 40 40 40 40 0
2B 80 75 55 65 0
3B 65 70 75 70 0
SS 80 85 85 85 0
LF 55 55 50 50 0
CF 85 85 60 65 0
RF 65 50 70 65 0
8/7/2017 11:39 AM
Thanks for the info.
8/7/2017 1:43 PM
Find a mentor to help you and bounce ideas off of...preferably one not in your league.
8/7/2017 5:37 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.