Round 1 Roster Selection Strategies, 2017 Topic

Post here to comment on your roster building strategies.
8/6/2017 10:04 AM
$70M - Expansion Ball
87 Hou, 89 Cal, 93 NYM
Ballpark - Dodger Stadium

I saved this theme for last because it was the hardest to research. I typically play in only two "low cap" leagues per year, those being the round 1 and round 2 low cap leagues of the WIS Championship. I focused on two things during my player search, switch hitters and speed. I was hoping to get 1-2 starting pitchers and 2-3 hitters from each of my three selected teams. I figured that I could fill in RP and backups at the end. The first team I found was 1987 Astros. Although they had no pitchers I wanted, I was able to fill half my starting lineup with Bill Doran (.283/.365, 31 SB), Billy Hatcher (.296/.352, 53 SB), Kevin Bass (.284/.344, 21 SB), Gerald Yong (.321/.380, 26 SB) and Denny Walling (.283/.356). Walling (3B) and Young (OF) are part-time players. The second team needed to have at least two SP's I could use. I quickly found the 1989 Angels with the reasonably priced Bert Blyleven (241 ip, 1.12 whip, $6.4M) and Kirk McCaskill (212 ip, 1.23 whip, $4.8M). This team also added three solid RPs with Willie Fraser (92 ip, 1.12 whip), Bob McClure (53 ip, 1.03 whip) and Greg Minton (90 ip, 1.26 whip). That's 235 relief innings for about $6.2 million. Since I was able to roster some relievers, I decided I only needed to fill two of my four starting hitters with my third team but I still needed two more starting pitchers. This last search took a really long time. I actually thought about dumping one of my first two teams because I couldn't find anything to fit. Then I stumbled across the 1993 Mets. They had a key player in Bobby Bonilla who can play both 3B and OF thus solving my Walling/Young platoon problem. I also get to roster another switch hitter in Eddie Murray (.285/.325/.467). And I got the two SPs I needed with Dwight Gooden (209 ip, 1.19 whip, $5.7) and Bret Saberhagen (140 IP, 1.06 whip, $3.8M). Mike Maddux (75 ip, 1.25 whip) gives me my 4th RP. The rest of my roster includes starting batters '78 G.Tenace (.224/.392) and '11 E.Bonafacio (.296/.360, 40 SB). I added a few short-inning SPs to offset the lack of starting pitcher innings. Overall, I have six switch hitters in my starting lineup..

Offense: 5399 PA, .279 avg, .352 obp, .424 slg, 187 sb, $35.2 million
Pitching: 1348 IP, .244 oav, 1.16 whip, 0.57 hr/9, $34.8 million

Prediction: 79-83. This feels like a .500 team at best. My guess is that we'll be slightly plus in run differential but under .500 due to poor luck in 1-run games. I'd be thrilled if this team could somehow get to 85 wins.

$90M - Real Team & Clones
A Halladay in Toronto, 1999
Ballpark - Skydome

I spent weeks on this theme as it was the first team I started building. I wanted to find a team where I could clone the SP a bunch of times and also find a switch hitter I could clone multiple times. I tried really hard to get a Smoltz/Chipper team, getting rosters built for both the 2007 and 2008 Braves. On one of these rosters, I had an entire pitching staff John Smoltz plus four Chippers on offense but I just couldn't fit in enough IP or PA to make it work. This would've been a great team at $100M (damn DH rule). Anyway, in order to meet the first deadline, I submitted a team that was just o.k. (but not great) - the '64 White Sox. They already has great pitching and so I used my one twist to add a bunch of (switch-hitter) Don Buford clones. But even with the upgrade, I didn't think the offense could score enough runs and there were still some big holes on the pitching staff. So once I had all my teams entered, I went back and kept searching for different combinations. I really wanted a Roy Halladay team... he's got so many decently priced seasons. I finally discovered the 1999 Blue Jays (84-78) with two clone options. Since their pitching staff is horrendous, I quickly put together a 7-man staff (1464 ips) of all Roy Halladays. And I was able to use Tony Fernandez as my second clone, as he is starting at 2B, 3B, SS and DH. Once again, I got my switch hitter. I bet I am the only one using this team. My guess is that some smarter owners figured out a Chipper/Smoltz team that is going to crush it.

Offense: 6385 PA, .288 avg, .365 obp, .459 slg, $45.6 million
Pitching: 1464 IP, .242 oav, 1.06 whip, 0.68 hr/9, $44.2 million

Prediction: 87-75. I don't know why, but for some odd reason, I think this team will do well, maybe even better than my prediction. Roy Halladay always seems to surprise me and because I have no weaknesses at pitching, I should be in every game.

$100M - Hitting the Limit Twist
1939-48 St. Louis Cardinals

Ballpark - Sportsman Park III

This theme was a bit tricky to figure out the best way to search for players. I finally determined that I needed to search for a 10-12 year range for a specific franchise, then figure out which three years weren't being used to pull players from... then I would search those three years to figure out which players I could use. I started with the 2005 Yankees because I knew they had Kevin Brown, Randy Johnson, etc. I almost had a complete team built when I decided to scrap it because it had too many HR hitters. Deadball teams are allowed in this theme. I played around with the mid 1980's Cardinals (Ozzie, Coleman, McGee), the early 1980's Astros (great '81 pitching staff), the 1980's Expos (Raines, Dilone, LeFlore in the OF), the early 1900's Indians/Naps (Bernhard, Joss, Lajoie) before deciding on the 1940's Cardinals. Two of my favorite underrated sim players are '43 Pollet and '44 Munger. I decided on 1939-48 so I could get '39 Johnny Mize. The lineup is pretty solid with O'Dea (.254/.359) & Klutz (.302/.355/.435) at C, Mize (.349/.444/.626), E.Lake (.279/.412, C/A), Kurowski (.310/.420/.544), Marion (.276/.343, B-/A-), Musial (.347/.440/.549), Slaughter (.321/.409/.470) and H.Walker (.363/.436/.487). The pitching staff has the usual suspect, M.Cooper, H.Brecheen, T.Wilks, R.Barrett, Pollet, Munger, Brazle, Lanier. In retrospect, I should have researched more deadball teams.

Offense: 5559 PA, .313 avg, .405 obp, .479 slg, $51.7 million (excl. 200K guys)
Pitching: 1473 IP, .223 oav, 1.06 whip, 0.29 hr/9, $47.2 million

Prediction: 89-73. I know the deadball teams will limit HR's but this team is not HR heavy. My starting lineup averages .315 with 36 doubles, 9 triples and 12 home runs. My pitchers do not allow HR's (47 in 1473 IPs) plus I don't have the terrible deadball fielding ratings to worry about.

$110M - Choose Your Soup
Alphabet Soup Nazis

Ballpark - Target Field

With an eye toward the next round, I figured it would be easier to build a round 2 team with the franchise and decade soup combined, so I went alphabet in round 1. I decided to limit HR's and play in Target Field so I drafted a bunch of high average / high onbase guys, with one exception. I took 1928 Ruth. He always seems to do well for me regardless of the theme rules. I also made sure to grab some A+++ players to help the pitching out. The starting lineup includes C- '33 Cochrane (.322/.459/.515), 1B- '14 Speaker (.338/.423/.503), 2B- '03 Lajoie (.344/.379/.518), 3B- '13 Baker (.337/.413/.493), SS- '03 Wagner (.355/.414/.518), OFs- '28 Ruth (.323/.461/..709), '01 Delahanty (.354/.427/.528), '91 Hamilton (.340/.453/.421). The pitching staff has many of the usual suspects, but not the overpriced versions... '03 Joss, '97 Maddux, '15 Kershaw, '66 Peters, '21 Adams, '11 Fister, '43 Niggeling, '87 Innis, '29 Grabowski, '63 Tiefenauer, '18 Yingling.

Offense: 5704 PA, .339 avg, .430 obp, .520 slg, $65.3 million (excl. 200K guys)
Pitching: 1453 IP, .220 oav, 0.96 whip, 0.34 hr/9, $54.1 million (excl 200K guys)

Prediction: 91-71. This type of team is in my wheelhouse. Great defense, lots of high average, high-on base guys. Mostly modern pitchers to surpress the deadball errors.

Variable Cap ($125M) - Out of Range
C is for Can't Field

Ballpark - Target Field

In my opinion, the two logical choices for this theme are A or C. With A, you can draft all the A+++ guys and this allows you to draft fewer innings and/or slightly worse pitching. With C, you get the extra $10 million to improve the offense. I don't think the difference in fielding between B and C is that great so I didn't even try a B team. And there's no way I am putting an all D team on the field. So I built two teams. With the A team, I had a lot of the same players from my Alphabet Soup team above, which includes players with A+++ range, but those players also have C or worse fielding ratings. To offset that, I drafted modern pitchers. Then using mostly the same pitching staff from my "A" team, I created my "C" team by upgrading the offense significantly. I wasn't really sure which team would be better, so I did something I've never tried before. I used the sim matchup and played my two teams against each other. My C team was winning 2 out of every 3 games, so that's the team I went with. The offense looks like this... '19 Schang / '29 Hargrave, '20 Sisler, '23 Hornsby / '91 Barberie, '94 G.Davis, '07 Wagner, '11 J.,Jackson, '23 Heilmann, '95 S,Thompson. The starting pitching staff: '89 Saberhagen, '96 K.Brown, '97 Maddux, '67 Horlen. I am worried that I am light on innings. Hopefully Target Field will help.

Offense: 5585 PA, .376 avg, .444 obp, .568 slg, $70.3 million (excl. 200K guys)
Pitching: 1438 IP, .215 oav, 0.95 whip, 0.37 hr/9, $54.3 million (excl 200K guys)

Prediction: 86-76. I thought there would be more "A" teams which would mean worse offenses. I will probably have to tank some games to help fatigue. I don't think I drafted enough innings.

$140M - XBH Challenge with DH
Doubling Down

Ballpark - Polo Grounds V

No way was I going to try a home runs team - those teams will get killed in this theme. I originally had built a triples team but spent too much money on defense and pitching and didn't think the team would score enough runs, so at the last minute, I changed to a doubles team. This may be a mistake because the available ballparks for doubles teams don't really suppress offenses enough which will require more innings than a triples team. I'm not sure why I didn't simply change a few players on my triples team to upgrade the offense. Anyway, I kept one A+++ defensive player (Bancroft) but spent a lot more on offense. I think I have a bit too many HR's on this team, but what the hell... too late now. Offense: '00 Posada, '93 Olerud, '20 Hornsby, '07 Chipper / '42 Cullenbine, '22 Bancroft, '23. Speaker, '48 T.Williams, '46 Musial and a multiple-player platoon at DH ('46 Galan, '91 Barbarie, '84 Rose, '01 Raines). I wasted no salary on scrubs... everybody plays. Starting pitchers include '96 K.Brown, '64 Horlen, '02 Pedro, '15 Kershaw, '14 Arrieta.

Offense: 6349 PA, .347 avg, .443 obp, .551 slg, $75.9 million
Pitching: 1532 IP, .200 oav, 0.92 whip, 0.40 hr/9, $64.1 million

Prediction: 83-79. My record will be highly dependent on W-L record in close games, and we all know how that's worked out for me in the past. This team is a great candidate for a .600 expected win% with a 10-24 in 1-run games.
8/8/2017 12:16 PM (edited)
$70M Astro Met Brew 828696

I didn't have time for a thorough search since I'd spent too much time on other themes. I knew I wanted a balanced team and I knew there would be plenty of fillers so I took a shortcut. Searched for 250+ IP pitchers and when I found one I liked checked to see if that team had a 2nd pitcher and something else I could use. Found 5 candidates and later selected two of them. Also looked for a team with enough good hitters in the appropriate price range. Quickly found '96 Brewers, a little pricey but good enough that I stopped searching.

Pitching teams are '82 Astros and '856 Mets with a rotation of Sutton JoeNiekro Gooden Ojeda. RP are a smattering of pitchers from the selected teams and a free agent long reliever. SPs are better so they'll have to carry the team. Brewers have Seitzer Vina and Cirillo in the infield, Nilsson and Newfield playing one OF position. Mets threw in Heep and Kevin "I didn't know he played for the Mets " Mitchell. Free agents are Sundberg and his 52% CS for the plethora of steals people seem to like at low caps, McLemore a cheap SS with Ledesma backing up all infielders. I'm over budget so a cheap Adam Lind and Steve Braun in the OF.

I forgot about the combined season ban and had 5 illegal players, including one 29ip pitcher wasn't noticed until 9 days after the deadline. I don't have the players for a simple fix, I was tempted to start over with new teams but I was sick of it all and just made simple fixes. New team has lower stamina. I expect to stay around 95% which should be fine, just to make sure I took a -2 ballpark, Skydome because I have doubles.

$90M 74 Mets Seav Rusty & Grote.

A tedious theme. Brute force searching for suitable teams, mock drafting many rosters, completing the draft of the finalists, then choosing a winner. Shortage of cheap players killed many good teams, I normally don't like 300k exemptions but this theme is crying out for it. The first thing I looked for was a pitcher who had several usable clones but not too good or I'm over budget. Then the hitting has to fall in place without too many defects. And lastly, can they meet the budget and fill the roster without too much waste? I looked at several Maddux teams and they involved too much compromise to meet the cap, only 2001 looked playable. Clemens and Randy didn't quite work either, K pitchers are slightly overpriced. several other SPs came and went. I kept coming back to Tom Seaver playing with Rusty Staub or Griffey Sr. These guys have slightly better value for the money than their modern counterparts and with so many clones it adds up.

74 Mets have the best 5 versions of Seaver for 1400 innings. Good total numbers but it's delicate playing with just 5 real pitchers. Nine versions of Rusty Staub, 3 full time OFs and 6 partial seasons some of them very small, filling the 25 roster spots without much waste. The weak spot is middle infield hitting .225. I'd hoped to use my third twist here but none of them had any good seasons. I gained more by upgrading Grote to a better hitter and A+ arm. I compared '75 Mets, a similar team with better infield bat but the glove was bad. 77 Reds with Senior looked interesting, better hitting and some speed but couldn't afford all of the best Seavers. Close call, 74 chosen because of better glove and slightly better normalization. 2001 Braves were similar to the Reds, better hitting then the Mets but couldn't afford the same quality pitching, rejected this team because I didn't want to build hitting around Julio Franco.
I'm not happy with this team, hitting is no better than my $70m team, not sure how I'll score enough runs but I'd spent too much time on this draft. Time to move on. Too late I noticed only 410pa at SS and my backup lost in the shuffle for a utility guy unrated at SS.

$100M Cubbies 1904-10-13

Enough! Drafting one team is time consuming. I wasn't too keen on drafting several teams for comparison. Then I procrastinated until the final weekend. So I get one chance to select a team and go with it, for better or worse. I've done well with the old-time Cubs in short term franchise leagues. But can I fill a 25-man roster with the theme restrictions? Not many <$300k but there are a number of guys under $1M who I'm not afraid to use. If I can string enough of them together this could work. Just draft a couple part timers or play one OF position by committee. It's not elegant, I'm just playing the hand I was dealt.
1904 and 1913 are weak years and far enough apart that they drew in a lot of prospects. 1910 is the 3rd weak year. Pitchers are led by the 5-headed monster of Mordecai Reulbach Overall Pfiester and Lundgren. Not all used the best version but still good enough. Some of them will cycle through Setup because my relievers aren't as good. Infield was automatic, Tinkers to Evers to Chance and 3B Heinie Zimmerman. Good part time versions of Bresnahan and Kling share the catching. Several OFs available so the choice was about money management. Schulte and Doc Miller seem underpriced. 3rd OF needs to be '05 Ginger Beaumont because he's part time and I need several little outfielders to fill up the roster. And the funniest part of the team is a couple 200k players hitting .139 and .147. No I probably won't need to use them.

$120M Alphabet Soup.

Thinking ahead to what 2 soups I want in round two. Franchise soup looks like the easiest and least compromising there's so many franchises, so I saved this one for the more important round 2. Alphabet soup is compromising in the last few bench picks which are the least important ones. The thing I don't like about Season Soup is the limit on the number of deadball pitchers, probably a bigger handicap than Alphabet soup but easier to draft. Alphabet and Franchise soup together looks like a nightmare to draft so I took Alphabet now as a single soup.
Hendrix, '08 Walsh, and Bernhart give me the best 1130 innings I can get at affordable prices. Quinn in relief to use Q, Otero too for O even though I've never used or followed him. Cap Anson at C expecting big hitting to make up for defensive liability at an otherwise overpriced position. Heinie Zimmerman at 1B I may have overrated for the Z but he does have the goods and more + plays than errors. Fonseca and Shumpert sharing 2B, as the high end salaries explode I'm using more part timers. Lyons 499pa at 3B, backed up by 3 rare letters Estallala Velarde and Yno, too many PA so they may troll the OF too. Chipper Jones is becoming my new go-to SS as all others go up in price. OF Cobb and Delahanty since this is a high average team. Plenty of roster spots left so I split the last OF spot 4 ways, RebRussell Klein BGiles TimoP. Niggeling closing, Murray in relief, Joe Taylor at long B, Innis a cheap I reliever to use only against non-power teams, and Urhani a 36ip mop.

A high average team with doubles and triples. I chose Palace of the Fans this time, downgrading a couple backups to get extra stamina.

Variable Cap C

I immediately ruled out A and didn't like B, the lower cap is too much of a handicap. We're already paying for glove in the salary, now this theme asks us to pay for it twice. D might work at a lower cap but at $130M there just weren't enough good hitters available. Quickly zeroed in on C. There's still enough affordable deadball pitchers to use anti-HR pitchers who can hit. One of my flaws is that I assume most people will arrive at the same strategy as me, so my team is designed to play against itself -- high average, good obp, not much interest in HR,and a little extra stamina.
My calculations pointed to a pitching budget of about $4m/100ip, more for closers. With the salary increases run amok the best affordable SP left standing are Hendrix and Lady Baldwin with 495ip Ed Walsh backing in to the rotation. Niggeling McQuillan closing, Dumont Roark Murray JTaylor in relief. C Fred Carroll's .486 obp, Allenson in reserve. 1B platoon of Cullenbine / Joe Harris. 2B Jackie Robinson seemed better value than the expensive dudes. 3B Denny Lyons with help from Barberie and Hansen who also have other duties. SS Honus Wagner tho I strongly considered cheaper options. OF Heilman O'Doul Cobb with Timo Pafko PHing and backing up.

I did look at a quick B team for comparison. Not as good with the $4M drop (not $5M because I'll need fewer innings). And I tried a Babe / Teddy / Mantle style power and walk team but that only works if enough people use live ball pitchers. I wasn't willing to take the chance. Humphrey Metrodome because I have doubles and triples. Not hitting many HR but I'm sure not giving them up.

$140M Five Hundred Doubles

I often draft high doubles players. They're affordable, they're a good way to move baserunners along when you don't have steals, and they're often overlooked in favor of the more sexy stats.(Chicks don't dig the doubles). HR are too easily suppressed to where they are overpriced. Triples are a niche category with limited player selection except for oldtimers whose triples normalize poorly. My first draft had 500 doubles, then I looked for better values and when I was done tinkering I barely had the 400 minimum. No sense going to extremes.

Since the salary explosion I've been using more second tier SPs. The Madduxes and Gibsons of the world just aren't worth the extra salary. Don Sutton is my Ace. '96 Kevin Brown seems to be an overperformer. Joe Horlen is in the mix. Don Drysdale doesn't seem worthy of $140M but he's affordable and his performance looks adequate. I did spend on the crucial setup and closers who pitch when the game is on the line, Niggeling Balfour and Latman. And 5 good long relievers with low hr. 1514 innings plus mopup, 0.93 .195 56hr.

C Posada and SS Chipper Jones are my most affordable hitters. They don't really fit the mold but the price is right at two difficult positions to fill. DH Edgar Martinez and his 58 doubles is the biggest holdout from my original team. Giambi at 1B with + plays and hits nearly as well as the top dogs for $1-2m less.Wade Boggs is my default choice at 3B but I could only afford the $7.38m version. Say, is this really a $140m league? ok here's the beef. Hornsby at 2B, .400 hitting Cobb and Heilmann, and a good Ted Williams.Phil Clark backing up. This team belongs in a hitters ballpark but I restrained myself because I'm overly concerned about stamina, National League Park II. $140m is the new $120m so I probably overdid it.
8/9/2017 12:34 AM (edited)
The Angels played in Dodger Stadium in 1965.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CAL/1965.shtml

8/6/2017 2:52 PM
Let me start by saying that once again I really enjoyed these themes. This is my second WISC tournament and it’s really a lot of fun. Thanks to ozomatli for running it and to schwarze for the original idea.

$70M – 1981 Expos 2000 Mariners 2006 Blue Jays
I’m not sure why, but I probably spent the least amount of time on this theme. I went with the 1981 Expos because I figured that they had some usable pitching at this cap and because the ’81 Raines dominated for me at some point in the past year at what I remember being a higher cap ($80M? $90M?). I chose the 2000 Mariners in large part because I consider the versions of Edgar Martinez that are primarily DH but rated (albeit poorly) at 1B to be among the most underpriced players in the sim. I guess the 2006 Jays filled some holes, and have a decent Halladay. When filling in my additional players I originally made the mistake of including an Orioles version of Mark McLemore at 2B. This mistake was, thankfully, caught by the automated system when I tried to submit the team, so I was able to replace him with an interesting 1969 Joe Morgan who I’ve never used before. I’m looking forward to seeing how he does. He certainly walks a lot, as does the rest of this team, which I like when I’m using pitcher’s parks like Safeco. This team also runs more than a typical team of mine, which is weird since this is a relatively low cap and I usually don’t spend a lot of money on speed at any cap level. I dunno. I don’t have a good read on this team. They feel kinda meh to me but I suppose most teams at this cap level feel that way. We’ll see.

Offense - 5382 PA, .275/.372/.450, 205/258 SB
Pitching - 1296 IP, 1.21 WHIP, 0.56 HR/9 (help me, Safeco!)

Prediction: 74-88; the more I read these write-ups, the more I think I should've spent more time on this team.

$90M – 2012 Cards twisting Berkman, Wainwright
I went through several iterations with this one. I started by trying to find a team with good pitching and some good position players that just needed one stud to put it over the top. I found a decent early 70’s Orioles team that would’ve been made passable by several versions of Frank Robinson, but I didn’t love it. Then I looked at the 1984 Expos, cloning Pete Rose and Steve Rogers a bunch of times each. I thought that team was OK also, but I feared that Rogers wasn’t good enough to carry a $90M staff. I then decided that I needed a team with two clones whereby each was a player with multiple well-priced versions at this cap. When I saw the 2012 Cards with Berkman and Wainwright I knew I’d found my team. It’s not perfect; for one thing, the backup catcher costs $700k more than he should, which hurts my bench. Teams like this are rarely perfect. But they have several useful players at non-Berkman positions, and three good relievers in addition to the 28 IP Wainwright. I like the way this team feels. Having Berkman as 44.4% of your lineup does that.

Hitting - 6074 PA, .290/.379/.472, 81/122 SB
Pitching - 1376 IP, 1.11 WHIP, 0.60 HR/9

Prediction: 88-74; I love me some Berkman

$100M – 1998 - 2007 Dodgers
I tried to use a couple of Cardinals teams, but neither one worked all that well. I looked into 1963-1972 so I could have a 3-man starting staff of Gibson, Carlton and Cuellar. It was a pretty good team, except I thought my offense was a bit weak, primarily caused by the fact that I think that with all of the salary updates Gibson has gotten too expensive for this cap level. Then I tried some late 20’s to late 30’s iteration that had Dazzy Vance and Rogers Hornsby but there was a bit too much wasted salary or something.

So I decided to check in on good friend Greg Maddux, and re-discovered that he had some seasons with the Dodgers. His 1998 seems sufficient to get people out at this cap level, so I went 1998-2007. I only twisted two seasons to give me more seasons that I could use. The Dodgers always have good relievers so that wasn’t a problem. Besides Maddux I was able to twist Derek Lowe and Kevin Brown, which gives me ¾ of a good staff. Odalis Perez rounds it out; I don’t love him but if I make the postseason I can move him to LR. I like my lineup. Drew and Sheffield are favorites of mine, I haven’t used Jeff Kent in a while but he looks tasty, and Bill Mueller is pretty underrated IMO. I just wish there were a better choice than Eric Karros at 1B. I can’t stand him and his low OBP. But other than that I like this team. Plus I like the fact that I have Dodger Stadium, to turn all those doubles and triples hit by you girly-man deadball teams into lousy singles. Bwaaa haa haa! BWAAA HAA HAA HAAAAAAAA!!! <<twirls non-existent handlebar mustache>>

Speaking of which, while I’m not stunned given the lack of a chronological limit in this theme, I am a bit surprised that there are so many deadball teams. I didn’t consider going back that far given that there tend to be few low-salary seasons back then. I imagine that there’s some wasted salary on those teams. If I’m wrong then maybe I made a mistake not looking back that far.

Hitting - 5603 PA, .313/.399/.529, 93/142 SB
Pitching - 1415 IP, 1.04 WHIP, 0.61 HR/9 (stupid Odalis Perez...)

Prediction: 84-78; I liked this team a whole lot before seeing how many people used deadball teams. This team's HR power isn't going to play here, I fear. Eric Karros is going to be beyond useless. Still, I like my pitching staff enough that I think I'll be able to stay in the black. Barely.

$120M – Alphabet City
With apologies to GnR…

Take me down to the Alphabet City / where the craft cocktails cost $17.50
I need a home equity loan / yeah yeah

OK, so technically PDT (which I’ve never visited) and Death & Co. (which I have) are about a half a block from Alphabet City. The point still stands. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. D&C is really good, as is Cienfuegos which is on Avenue A so it counts. But if you’re looking for a good cocktail in that ‘hood that doesn’t break the bank, I really like Lovers of Today, which has half-price (so, $6) cocktails during their sufficiently long happy hour. And it’s a cool little spot. Emphasis on little. When I randomly stumbled upon it, before entering I thought “if this bar were anyplace else in the world other than NYC or Cleveland I’d think that the fact that it shares its name with an obscure Pretenders song is a total coincidence but I’m guessing it’s not.” And I was right. To wit, the drink list:

Oh wait, am I supposed to be writing about pretend baseball? Right. So it seemed to me that the alphabet soup would be the most difficult to pair with either of the other two soups if I make it to the next round, so I went with that. But let’s face it, this is a de facto $120M open league. And as such I don’t much care for it, in part because I don’t find it terribly interesting and in part because I’m not very good at it. If the WISC consisted of six open leagues with different caps I very much doubt I’d make it to the second round. I vote this team most likely to finish within 2 games of .500.

Hitting - 5615 PA, .341/.442/.525, 142/233 SB (with Hughie Jennings accounting for most of those on both sides of the ledger)
Pitching - 1484 PA, 0.92 WHIP, 0.14 HR/9

Prediction: 84-78; meh.

Variable Cap – Deez Nuts
My eyes lit up when I read this theme. This is my type of theme. I use poor fielding players all the time. Now I’m being rewarded for it? Sign me up! J
I spent about five seconds considering making a C team. Those five seconds consisted of me thinking “ooh, 1935 Arky Vaughan…wait, I’m not sure I can fit him under a $125M cap…”

OK, so it’s true that I’d usually not play guys who are D+/D+ at 2B, SS or CF. But I’d play guys who are B/D+ at those positions, and I’d play D/Ds everyplace else. So this team will make 50 more errors than my typical team would. That fact is already factored into the salaries, and I’m being given an extra $5M-$15M which enabled me to create a .343/.457/.566 offense. Also, I’m guessing the good-hitting D fielders haven’t been dinged by the salary updates as much as their slick-fielding counterparts have been. To me this is a no-brainer. Still, I don’t expect to be facing many D teams. We’ll see how it all shakes out, but my expectation was 60% C, 25% B, 10% A, 5% D. I could be wrong in thinking this, but I’m hoping to face as many A and B teams as possible. While I recognize that the WhatIf salary determination mechanism is not perfect (if it were, salaries wouldn’t still be moving as much during each update) but I doubt it’s off by more than 10%. But we’ll see.

Ballpark was a bit of a tough call with this team. I didn’t want to choose a huge hitter’s park since my pitchers will already have to work a little harder than normal given my weak defense and I didn’t want to have to draft too many innings, but I didn’t want to choose a pitcher’s park and hurt my really good offense. I went with 1.02 Citizens Bank Park, with its -1 for triples to suppress those pesky deadballers a bit.

Hitting - 5438 PA, .343/.457/.566, 106/202 SB (steals, schmeals)
Pitching - 1458 IP, 0.91 WHIP, 0.17 HR/9

Prediction: 90-72; either I'm wrong or everyone else is. The latter seems unlikely, but I'm going to assume I'm right until proven otherwise.

$140M – Double, Double Toil and Trouble
They say you learn something new every day. I do not know whether that is true. However, the day I submitted this team I learned that in the original text the line is punctuated as it appears in my team name. I would’ve thought there was a second comma after the second “double” because that’s the way most people say it. Go figure. That wacky Willie the Shake…

This is another of what I refer to as de facto open leagues. Once you decide which stat to focus on the rest is pretty straightforward. Pitchers aren’t restricted at all (other than post-1920) and you can pretty much use any post-1920 hitters you want to as long as most of them are proficient in your chosen stat. To me the interesting decision here was which stat to focus on, especially given the ballpark restrictions. I will share my reasoning as to why I chose doubles.

My understanding from what I’ve read is that the only ballpark factor that affects whether a batted ball is a hit or an out is the singles factor. The other factors only affect what type of hit the hit is. In this theme, everyone has to use a ballpark that greatly increases the probability that a hit is of their chosen stat, so every ballpark in the league will greatly increase some type of extra-base hit. I’m thinking that if you choose a home run hitting team, home runs cannot be improved upon. If the hit is already a home run, it cannot become more of a home run. But if the hit is a double or a triple it can be turned into a home run. Therefore, it makes the least sense to have a home run focused team. Focusing on triples makes a bit more sense, because triples can be (presumably) turned into home runs. However, even triples-centric teams don’t hit all that many triples, as evidenced by the fact that the triples minimum was 37.5% that of the doubles minimum. Doubles, on the other hand, can (again, presumably) be turned into both triples and home runs. So it seems to me that there is more to gain by having a doubles team. I do not know whether this is valid reasoning, or even if my assumptions are correct, but this is why I chose doubles.

This team feels good, but for $140M it had better. I haven’t used my former cookie ’93 Olerud in what seems like forever. I also feel like I used to use the 1944 Bob Johnson early on in my WhatIf days but haven’t used him in many, many years. And how can you not love a guy named Coot Veal?

Hitting - 6287 PA, .338/.438/.552, 46/79 SB (you don't need to steal second base when you're already on second base)
Pitching - 1451 IP, 0.89 WHIP, 0.32 HR/9

Prediction: 87-75; I think doubles was the right play, and I think I executed the strategy pretty well.

Total prediction: 507-465, which would've ranked 32nd pre-playoffs in last year's round 1, leaving me with some work to do in the playoffs to advance to round 2. Sounds about right.

Anyway, let the games begin!
8/9/2017 10:43 AM (edited)
70 Million 76 Royals/89 Expos/97 Marlins
I spent more time on this theme than all others combined. I quit researching once I found a decent combination maybe not the best available but one that worked. The 76 Royals provided me a SP and 4 RP. Throw in a weak hitting second baseman White and I had my first team. George Brett was available but in this theme I did not want a position player over $4.5 million.
My second team was the 89 Expos. Tim Raines (who was slightly over the 4.5 threshold), Tim Burke as my closer, and Pascual Perez and Bryn Smith as starters were my entrants from this team.
My final team the 97 Marlins produced 5 position players which were the heart of my offense. Sheffield and Alou in the outfield. Bonilla and Renteria the left side of my infield. Conine at first.
Lucroy was added as a catcher. Donavan and Fernandez were my final two starters.

90 Million 98 Indians.
I figured this theme was best played with a dynamite hitting team without adding a position player and a rebuilt pitching staff. 95% of the time spent on this theme was searching the Baseball Reference Guide for a team that scored 800+ runs. I searched every franchise and found about four candidates. I chose the Indians of 1998.
I rebuilt the pitching staff by having 5 Doc Goodens for starters and 5 Mike Jacksons in the bullpen. My lineup is Lofton, Vizquel, Thome\Sexton, Ramierez, Giles\Whiten, Justice, Fryman, Bell, Alomar\Borders.
Pleased to see another owner, Juice,who I respect greatly chose this team also.

100 Million 1939 - 1948 Cardinals
I took a recent team composed of components the Cardinals to the TOC championship game so I really didn’t need to look much further. My blocked out years 1940, 1941 and 1947.
I have the 1939 Mize, Medwick, and Brown at short. I picked the 1942 Slaughter, the 1943 Musial (primarily for his B+,B+ defense for center). The 1944 Cooper, 1946 Kurowski and Schoendist. My pitching is headed by Cooper and Brecheen. Wilks, Pollet, Munger, Brazle,Gumbert, Shoun, and White complete the staff.
Pleased to see Schwarze, who I also greatly respect, picked the same.

Variable B+
My logic here was you pay for defense in the game, especially A range which I usually try to play especially up the middle. Again since the Cardinals have been so good to me this past here I went with Musial, Medwick, and Simmons from the Cardinals. I am pulling in Altuve (B+/B+) at second. Sisler has been good to me at first as has Cabrera at third. Pesky was a surprise for me at SS this year. But after I put this team together he has wilted in other leagues. Hope I didn’t make a mistake here. Also Raines at leadoff. A sleeper here is Gates Brown from 1968 for pinch hitting.
Since I am only a B fielding team I went for high strikeout pichers. Clemens, Smoltz, Kershaw, and Randy Johnson. My bullpen has Wade Davis, Zach Britton, Kimbrell, Nen, Street, and Stoddard.

120 Million Decade Soup
A recent thee I played led the league in scoring. My best bet of putting together a similar team in this theme was to use the decade soup. Here I upgraded my defense from the Variable theme.
Willie Wilson has always performed great for me in center. His A+ range and 79 SB more than makeup his low OBP. I usually win with him in center. I follow him in the order with Robbie Alomar at second, Sisler at first, Medwick in right, Magglio Ordonez in left, Yogi behind the plate, John McGraw at third, and Pesky again. Gates and Joe Jackson on the bench for pich hitting.
My SP are Spahn, Clemens, Dutch Leonard, and Mordeci Brown. My bullpen is anchored by Britton. Dean, Niggling, Barney Schultz, Steve Mingori, Babe Adams, and Bob Milacki round out the staff.

140 Million Triples

I have had success using Joe Robbie Stadium. My only TOC championship came from a team that used Joe Robbie. Since Joe Robbie was a triples park I chose triples.
Again I used Wilson in center because of his defense and being a triple machine. Again I went for Cardinals Willie McGee as DH, Stan Musial in LF, Rogers Hornsby at 2b, and Tim McCarver at C. Hank Greenberg at 1st (For those HR parks), Kiki Cuyler (a XBH machine) in right, and Pie Traynor at 3rd. Dave Bancroft for his range at SS and bat from the 1921 season.
Pitching I again went for strikeouts. Clemens, Johnson, Kershaw and this time Scherzer. My bullpen again has Britton, Davis, and Kimbrel. Sutter, Wilhelm, Sanders, and Tony Watson round out the bullpen.
8/7/2017 5:45 PM
I'll prob finish middle of the pack so take this with a grain of salt

$70 Mil - '86 Mets, '81 Astros, '15 Mets

I've done historically bad in low cap leagues, I hardly try them, and hardly succeed. The lowest i comfortably play at is $100 mil, and i usually stay between $110 mil and $140 mil. That being said, like most, this is my least favorite team, and my least researched. I looked for cheap innings from decent starting pitchers and found that '81 Sutton was reasonable. '81 Ryan's 4.11 BB/9 is really concerning but its too late now. Harvey, deGrom, and Syndergaard's 2015 seasons are decent and reasonably priced so I went with those, but the K/9 is a little too high to stretch those short innings out over a full season. Save me Shea Stadium. Going with 3 relievers in Syndergaard (150 innings), Familia (78 innings) and Sambito (94 innings) and plan on using them until they run out of gas, and then some. Probably shoulda drafted more than 1 mop-up.

For the offense I spent most of my time looking at the Rockies 90s seasons for some cheap offense. Couldn't really find a season i liked ad gave up. A few days later I stumbled upon the '86 Mets while looking at another league. Wally Backman ( .320/.376/.385) gave me 440 PA for 2.86 mil, Mookie Wilson, Lenny Dykstra, and Ray Knight gaveme some good AB's for under $10 mil. and Keith Hernandez was a little expensive at $5.5 mil but I needed to fill the quota. I called upon one of my favorite cookies in 2000 Mitch Meluskey, but other than that, I'm using players I've never used before on offense. Not too many stolen bases, not too many switch hitters, not too many innings. This team will miss the playoffs. Aiming for 80 wins.

Lots of scrubs brought down the stats that I'm kinda embarrassed to share.

$90 mil - 2016 Cubs + Arrieta

I was looking at the most current teams because they haven't been hit too hard by the salary explosion. The Cubs with Lester, Hendricks, and Arrieta, along with a decent bullpen were the first team I looked at.

Lester, Hendricks, Arrieta, and Lackey had good enough years in 2016, add in a dominant 2015 season in Arrieta, and the rotation was good to go.
I like the bullpen a lot with Chapman, Strop, Edwards Jr., and Rondon. And then added 2 Arrieta's in the bullpen.

The offense is decent but what I like about it is the versatility. Zobrist, Baez, Bryant, etc. all play multiple positions well. I'm excited to mix and match the lineup.

Like most of y'all, I forgot about DH and looked at some Red Sox teams with Pedro. I liked my 2002 team but I was either 300k over the cap, or $5mil under (curse this salary fuckery). Ultimately I decided to sacrifice my DH spot and just run some scrub until injury all year. The other 8 will do just fine.

(if anyone wants to help a bro out and play some LIVE games so I don't have to use the DH, that'd be appreciated)

Sadly, you can't make sparky move a DH onto the field for defensive purposes, nor have a pitcher in the starting lineup in the outfield so that blows.

(Batting -? .269/.360/.462)
(Pitching - 1410 IP, .199 OAV, 1.00 WHIP, 2.71 ERA)

$100mil - DR9 Orphaned Cubs 1901-1910 - Chicago Orphans 1901, Chicago Cubs 1904 and 1909

admittedly, I just wanted to use '08 Brown and looked for decent pitcher around him. Jack Taylor will do, but the hard decision, and probably wrong decision was whether to use Reulbach's 300 IP season, or Rube Waddell's. I've never seen Waddell do well, but I'll just chalk that up to poor management and try for myself. And also, I'll just use Reulbach's 233 IP season in the bullpen. Pfiester and Overall round out the bullpen followed by a mop-up.

Offensively, it's Tinker - to - Evers - to - Chance. Harry Steinfeldt gives me a 134 AVG+ for 5.6 mil, and I'm using an array of platoon guys in the OF including Jack McCarthy, Danny Green, Topsy Hartsel, Heinie Zimmeman, Davy Jones, and Jack Doyle ( also the backup catcher).

I guess these guys are cheap cuz they don't hit too many extra base hits. Oh well, this was built around pitching anyways.

(Batting - .298/.370/.390)
(Pitching - 1600+ IP, .212 OAV, .99 WHIP, 1.76 ERA)

$120 Mil - DR9 From ABC to TOC

By far my favorite team, I went with alphabet soup to use some historically good players, and some...not so much.

My starting 9 consists of
'14 Evans, Steve 1B
'04 Lajoie, Nap 2B
'03 Mueller, Bill 3B
'04 Wagner, Honus SS (my favorite SS in the SIM)
'02 Delahanty, Ed LF
'13 Speaker, Tris CF
'12 Jackson, Joe RF

Hendrix, Cicotte, and Brown make out my rotation with the usual suspects in the bullpen.
Northrop
Rivera
Adams
Uehara
Groom (severely underrated at caps like these)
and Thielbar who I've never used before, but gives me 46 good innings for under $2mil.

(Batting - .360/.429/.552) <---------- before scrubs
(Pitching - 1413 IP, .199 OAV, .90 WHIP, 1.66 ERA)

Variable Cap - DR9 Spell ICUP

To me, there were only 2 options, C or D. With a league like this, the extra $5 - $10 mil can go a long way, plus good fielders are already more expensive, so I'm not gonna pay double for good fielding and good hitting.

I initially made a D team because most of the "D/D" guys are deadballers who have their fielding % curved up anyways. I made a decent team with good pitching and good hitting, but after a few days to think it over, I didn't have one strength. I had guys like Jimmie Foxx and Babe Ruth giving me homers, guys like John McGraw getting walks, and Joe Jackson, Irv Ray, etc, giving me doubles. But in ultra competitive league like this, I felt I needed all of my team to contribute to one strength.

I made a C team with some of my favorite guys in '04 Wagner, '04 Lajoie, and '12 Shoeless Joe. I tried to keep all my hitters under $10 mil and ended up with '09 Cobb, '23 Heilmann, '85 Brouthers, 1890 Lyons, and '33 Spud Davis.

Cicotte and 3-finger Brown are in the rotation. The 3rd guy, Cy Young, I'm not so excited about. I'm sure I chose the wrong stadium for him to pitch in since he'll give up a lot of hits, but his 340 innings for $12.5 mil, and his low walk rate got me to buy in.

This time, I'm trying the skunk strat of setting all my bullpen arms to LH or RH specialists.

Howe and Billy Wag at the LH
Cisco Carlos, Northrop, Maddox, Niggeling, McQuillan, and Adams at the RH.

(Batting - .372/.434/.545) <------- before scrubs
(Pitching. 1465 IP, .205 OAV, .90 WHIP, 1.75 ERA)

$140 mil - DR9 Double the Fun

Homers are gonna get killed in this theme, and other than ozo, I don't see many triples teams succeeding.

Doubles was the obvious choice here and I made 3 teams that all SIM'd against each other. It was a close call, no team separated themselves as the dominant team, which can either be a good thing and a compliment to my team drafting skills, or a bad one.

I initially had guys like Olerud and Edgar Martinez on the team, and my original team HAD 500 DOUBLES! But I went thru some of ssupfoo's leagues to see how guys like Delgado, Olerud, Martinez, etc performed at caps of $120 mil and was not impressed.

Guys like Lajoie, Honus, Cobb, etc, understandibly dominated in doubles in those leagues, but there's a years cap as too.

Speaker and Medwick never disappoint, a .400 season from Cobb and a Hornsby start off the lineup, followed by 2000 Nomar. 1941 Cecil Travis is tearing up Skunk's $136? mil league so I called upon him again to be my 3rd baseman. The real difference maker here is if Mickey Vernon plays well, or adjusts terribly. A 138 AVG+ and 8 doubles/100AB# for under $6.3 mil has me suspicious. I'm going with him as my 1st baseman, but I only have him batting 7th at the moment. Rod Carew and Jorge Posada round out the lineup with cheap doubles and ABs.

The reason why I went cheap on offense in a $140 mil cap?

I'm trying a strategy that got me 97 wins in a $120 mil league. Overload on SP and have them pitch complete games all year and don't rely on a bullpen.

Since I'm playing in a hitters doubles park, I decided to get starting pitching with high "+" numbers. OAV+, ERC+, WHIP+, HR/9+, ERA+.

My rotation includes
'68 Gibson - 305 IP .85 WHIP
'94 Maddux - 288 IP .90 WHIP
'72 Sutton - 285 IP .91 WHIP
'02 Lowe (only) 220 IP .98 WHIP

all these guys have a ERC+ over 200 and a OAV+ of atleast 125

the Cla, Rivera, Soriano, McGee, and Karsay are in the bullpen for insurance.

(Batting - .362/.423/.550 450 doubles)
(Pitching. 1361 IP .191 OAV .88 WHIP)
<------before mop-ups

Summary

$70 mil - misses playoffs
$90 mil - makes playoffs
$100 mil - could make playoffs, lack of XBH concerns me
$120 mil - "Where's my ring?"
Variable Cap - Deep playoff run
$140 mil - Makes playoffs
8/7/2017 6:48 PM (edited)
^ 86 Mets, early Cubs, and 500 doubles? Did you steal my notes. I was intrigued to see similarity with so many different choices being made. But then you used entirely different players from the 86 Mets. Some similar cubs but different strategy. and backing off of 500 doubles in an entirely different way. Should be interesting with all of the variety.
8/7/2017 7:08 PM
$70M '05 Mets, '87/89 Astros

Right away I keyed on the Astros, Mets, Royals for pitching, defense and speed. I took the '05 Mets for Pedro, Reyes and David Wright. Also got some rp innings in Padilla. With the Astros I used the '87 and '89 years. 89 yielded Mike Scott, Jim Deshaies, Dave Smith, Mark Portugal and backup catcher Trevino. 87 got me Doran, Hatcher, Bass and Alan Ashby. Gerald Young platoons with Chris Gwynn. Nilsson plays 1B. We have a better than average offense and starting pitching. The bench and pen aren't as deep as I would like, but we can handle the fatigue at this cap.

Real team/clones - 2004 Cardinals

I was set to use an early 40's Cardinal team but near the deadline swapped to the '04 Cardinals, cloning Chris Carpenter. Plenty of offense, good infield defense, and a decent bullpen. I think we can do okay here...

Hitting the limit twist - '34-43 Cardinals

Lots of good choices, but this is a sentimental pick. These Cardinal years are my favorite. Ducky Medwick, Mize, Musial, Slaughter, Kurowski. Padgett and Spud Davis platoon behind the plate. Middle infield goes to Marion, Jimmy Brown and Frisch. Mort Cooper, Beazley, Curt Davis, then tandem Pollet with Gumbert. Macon, Lanier, Shoun and Gornicki form a decent pen. Should be respectable. ..

Variable cap - A+

I will take my chances, going with the lowest cap. We didn't go full blown defense, but should be good enough to help limit their OBP.
Ripper Collins and Chipper at the corners, Frisch and The Wizard up the middle. Simmons behind the plate, Manush, Raines and Puma in the outfield. I think top 50% in runs scored can be done. Went big on the starters with Walsh and Pete going 1/2. Pen is Wade Davis, Nathan, Howe, Weilman, Washburn, Zane Smith, with Black Jack available for a few key starts. I hope we're good enough...

Soup - Alphabet

I've done enough of these...I knew pretty much what I wanted here...

Walsh and Pete again...Nehf, Wade Davis, Hrabosky, Zane Smith, Yingling, Ehrhardt, Volquez and Uehara in the pen. Cobb, Shoeless Joe, Frisch, Mauer, Boggs, Bill Terry, Raines and what I hope is not a miss with Carlos Guillen. Chief Zimmer, Pecota, Iorg and Bob Oliver make up a decent bench. We should compete here...

$140M XBH- Doubles

I don't really like building triples teams, and HR teams find it tough sledding in these themes. Without facing deadballers we should score enough. Medwick, Musial, Boggs, Terry, DH Tony Gwynn, Manush, Dickey, Frisch and The Wizard. Defensively this team turned out quite well...a bonus!

McNally, Vida Blue and '94 Maddux toe the rubber. '16 Kershaw gives us versatility. Wade Davis, Mike Adams, Bill Henry, Reardon, Poole, Rich Hill and Graeme Lloyd form the pen. Polo Grounds V is home...we brought in the hotdog guy from Martinsville, they're good...and so are these guys...I think...
8/7/2017 7:43 PM (edited)
Posted by rbow923 on 8/7/2017 7:08:00 PM (view original):
^ 86 Mets, early Cubs, and 500 doubles? Did you steal my notes. I was intrigued to see similarity with so many different choices being made. But then you used entirely different players from the 86 Mets. Some similar cubs but different strategy. and backing off of 500 doubles in an entirely different way. Should be interesting with all of the variety.
Ya I liked how the 86 Mets filled out my lineup for so cheap. And just didn't have the confidence, even with 500 doubles, in that offense. As for the early Cubs, man, they got some killer pitching and decent OF options
8/8/2017 1:43 AM
70mm - '78 Padres '81 Astros, 88 Mets, Petco Park

'78 Padres - G. Perry, Tenace, Ozzie Smith, Mark Lee, Lolich
'81 Astros - Knepper, Ashby, Ruhle, Dave Smith
'88 Mets - Gooden, Ojeda, Backman, Mookie
Wildcards V Coleman, T Fernandez, Otis Nixon, W Wilson

All switch hitters but Tenace. Decent starting pitching, Never confident in low cap leagues and this seems really low with recent salary changes.

90mm - 2008 Braves (Chipper, Smoltz, Matt Diaz clones)

Started looking at 1943 NY Giants with Hubbell and Ott but could not fill enough roster spots. Next I looked for a Chipper team and found 2008

Not able to get best years from Chipper or Smoltz but should play OK. Expected that Teixeira would be 3rd clone but too expensive and not versatile enough. Found 3 good Matt Diaz years which worked out well

100mm - 1897-1906 Phillies

Love this team. JINX. Started looking at teams which would straddle 1908-1911 and found some candidates. Then thought about 1890s Phillies hitting throwing in Tim Keefe, Buffinton, Weyhing but could not fill enough roster spots. Started moving through Phillie years and saw guys I really liked. Twisted 1900, 1901 and 1905.
Pitching is 1902 Bernhard, 1904 Kid Nichols, 1906 Tully Sparks, 1906 Doc White, 1904 Al Orth and 5 scrubs
Lineup features: 1897 Jennings, 1904 Lajoie, 1902 Delahanty, 1899 Roy Thomas, 1898 Flick and some more decent bats

120mm - Alphabet. Much easier to combine decade and franchise soup teams but who am I kidding planning for Round 2

140mm - HR team was easy to build with only 300 required. Able to build good pitching staff and also make fielding concessions (2000 ARod, A/A+ Beltran in center) to plan to compete against doubles and triples teams.

Variable - C was the only team I considered.

8/8/2017 3:38 AM
Love to read these posts. Fascinating stuff. For what its worth, here are the strategies that typically put me just on the cusp of the second round, but usually not in it.

70 Million -- 69 Royals, 88 Stros, 98 D'Backs. The Astros gave me 3/4 of my starters and good relievers in Juan Agosto and Dave Anderson. Nolan Ryan and his high k's, which always seem to translate into better stamina at low caps, should help with innings fatigue. The D'backs team gave me solid performers in Jay Bell and Travis Lee. Foy and Roger Nelson are the main cogs from the Royals. Don't love the team. 80 wins at most. Probably 78-84

90 Million -- 94 Expos and Pedro. Built a good team with the 84 Expos using Pete Rose and Bryn Smith. But I didnt love Smith and started looking for a better starter. Since the 94 Spos usually give me good offensive pieces at these cap levels, I just plugged the entire offfense in, and it worked, though i will mix and match at DH. They steal bases efficiently as well, always helpful at 90 million. Pedro cloned means that, even with the roster fillers at the end, still leaves me with a .222 OAV and a 1.07 WHIP. Prediction, 86-76

100 million -- 1940-49 Cards -- Saw that Schwarze and Mllama used the 39-48 Cards. Felt good about that. They worked in Mize, whereas I used Musial at 1B. My mistake may have been trying to work in the 49 Schoendeist, who may be too pricey for the value. But Cooper, Brecheen, Pollet et al usually perform well, so I feel its a good but not great team. Prediction 83-79.

120 Million -- Decades -- Unlike some of the other owners, I dont stand a chance in the 2nd Round. I just need to get there. So I went with Decades and plugged in my usual suspects -- 86 Brouthers, 13 Baker, 36 Medwick, 28 Frisch, 77 Simmons, even a Cobb. High OBP+ and AVG+ guys, which is the sweet spot for me at 120. My starting staff of 09 Walsh, 73 Sutton, 64 Horlen and 02 Lowe, and a bullpen built around Wade Davis, Rob Murphy, should be successful. Prediction 87-75.

140 Million -- Thought long about this. Love putting together triples teams but they dont normalize well. I thought everyone and their brother would put together doubles teams, and no one would use HRs. So I went hybrid. I barely made the triples requirement and kept them just under the doubles threshold. 159 trips, 355 doubles. Looking for the best of all worlds. Swapped out Ed Walsh for Guidry (no dead ballers in this theme), plugged in the usual core of lefty relievers, made sure I had the inning necessary (1584). Optimistic about this team. 92-70.

Variable -- Apparently I missed the boat on this one. Worked a team at A but wanted deadball pitching, which is pricey. The C team was offense laden but I found that very C team I built was more like a D+ team. At B, I found a roster of good performers who wont kill me in the field and allowed me to add 5 million more in pitching. Performance histories show good fielding histories for what that's worth. 85 Boggs, 87 Raines, 15 Eddie Collins (and I even used the C+/C+ Berkman). Using the extra 5 million, I added the 500 inning Ed Walsh as my #1 and Horlen and Chris Carpenter as 2A and 2b. That combo has worked really well for me. Then slammed it on the low ratio modern relievers, Meredith, Soriano, Britton. 1451 innings at .91 WHIP, .200 OAV, may be a little low but I think i can scrape by. I'd like to think this is a good team, but if everyone is correct that A or C were the only options, I guess I'm under .500. Prediction, 80-82.

Good luck all!
8/10/2017 2:32 AM (edited)
70m
This theme was very difficult for me, especially now that all of the old cookies that carried me the last time I played in this tourney are now overpriced. And of course once I finally settled on a team, it was riddled with errors (sorry “commish”).
My biggest problem was the miniscule $2 million window. After shelving this theme for a few weeks, I decided to look for teams with several workable hitters in the 3 to 5 million range to fill out my lineup and then focus on pitching. I finally stumbled upon the ’09 Angels who gave me four multi-tool position players (even a couple of switch hitters) and a solid reliever in Scott Kazmir, just taking me over $18m. At that point I looked for $/PA bargain pitchers with high IP for the staff. Randy Jones and Jon Matlack fit the bill and each of their teams had decent enough position players to fill in some gaps (though keeping an overpriced 78 Winfield was a tough pill to swallow). Since I was much closer to 18m vs 20m for my three franchises, I was left with over $15mil to find a catcher and several relievers. I have no idea if I have enough PA or IP. A few extra inning games to start the year will demolish this bunch. I cringe at the look of this team but then remind myself that it’s a $70m cap built with a limited set of players. This team will perform well if Randy Jones and Jon Matlack sim well. If not, I’ll be selling at the deadline just like the real life version of all three of my franchises.

90m
I had a brilliant team built on my first try with Raines and Big Unit that fit just within $2k of $90m….then I realized I needed a DH! I learned that $90million goes quickly. I’m anxious to see how some of you were able to fit the ’89 Expos into this theme (you’re smarter than I am). I must have built rosters with 20 teams using 1, 2, and 3 clones. None of the teams stood out. I really wanted the '27 Yanks with many Ruths to work, but it didn't. I was ready to pull the trigger on a Maddux/Chipper Jones Braves team when I decided to try the early 70’s Orioles with Frank Robinson once more. While doing that I noticed that Mike Cuellar was on some awful mid-60’s Astros teams….and so was Joe Morgan! In addition to his super seasons, Morgan had some solid seasons in the 4 million range where he was eligible at multiple positions. He also had a cheap $/PA solid offensive, terrible defensive season which is perfect for DH. Add in Turk Farrell who had two solid enough starter seasons, plus a few workable reliever seasons and voila…I stumbled upon something. I chose this team over the Braves because staff WHIP is 1.07 vs 1.09, plus 150 more plate appearances. We’ll see. Morgan has been hit or miss for me in the past but so has Chipper Jones.

100m
I spent very little time on this theme which scares me now. I went right to the 1908 White Sox with 495 IP Ed Walsh and Frank Smith. Add 1917 Eddie Cicotte and I didn’t look back. I basically forced the position players to work. I even left $150,000 on the table!! As I look now, for this team to succeed, I will need to constantly play with the starting lineup and figure out how to coax some runs from the $36 million in hitting! I’ve never played a season with this much imbalance before. I foresee many 1 – 0 games. Hopefully I win more of those than I lose!

Variable
My first instinct told me that “A” fielding was the way to go, so I built two teams focusing on A+ range. I then decided to build “B” and “C” teams with the exact same pitching staff to see what they looked like. Building the staff was basic since there were no restrictions. I never bothered with “D”. I realized that top tier A+ range is very expensive. In essence, the $5million less is really more like $8 to $9 million. With B I was able to upgrade to Sisler, Ruth, and Cobb. I really liked the look of the “B” team. My best C team wasn’t overly more impressive than my B team from an offensive perspective. My guess, hopefully right, is that the difference in 2B, 3B, SS fielding from B to C has more impact than $5+ million of offense. One of my weaknesses is an inability to gauge how ballparks affect performance. My teams usually have better road records. That being the case, I went with 0 affect Nationals Park. I’ll probably still do worse at home!
120m
Not too much to say. I went with Alphabet soup because I figured combining Alphabet with one of the other soups in round 2 (fingers crossed) would be a pain in the ***. My lineup and staff is pretty much filled with players I normally use when winning is more important than self-respect (deadball pitchers, speedy hitters, range). The only outliers are my catcher Bob O’Farrell (not sure why I’ve never noticed him before) and the deep bench and bullpen dudes with the lesser used letters E, Q, U, Y, Z.
140m
In hindsight, I have less confidence in this team than any other. I rushed it and likely made some mistakes. First off, I really wanted to use Home Runs. Home run teams are the most fun. However, I quickly learned that home runs are so much more expensive than doubles or triples. My HR teams consistently included sim nightmares like the Fielder family, Juan Gonzalez, Reggie Jackson, and David Ortiz (no disrespect to Big Papi, my all-time favorite major leaguer). My doubles team easily outperformed my triples team. Triples looked good on paper (speed, usually better fielders etc), but there just weren’t enough of them when you exclude 1885 to 1919 to outplay the doubles folks. Back to my original comment, I made two mistakes that I think will hurt me in this theme. 1. I focused too much on doubles. Yes, doubles is the theme, but I could have found players with better defense and speed and still easily met the doubles floor. Instead, my speed and fielding are average at best. 2. My pitching is completely focused on limiting home runs. I did not factor doubles or triples into this staff. Since most my opponents will be double and triple heavy, I could have spent a bit less on limiting home runs and focused the money elsewhere. Both of my $120m teams are better than this one which does not bode well. A possible silver lining here is that most of the other teams are doubles, so this team will play in many doubles parks.
8/8/2017 9:03 AM
$70M – Marine Rangers Exposed ( ’89 Expos, ’98 Mariners, ’11 Rangers)
Angels Stadium

I built a few iterations of this team and couldn’t seem to find one that I felt was good enough. Most often, I felt like I was coming up short on ABs, or leaving too much money on the table with wasted AB or IP. I finally decided the best way to maximize on my dollars was to figure out my scrubs first. I realized I hadn’t used the Padres much in my drafted teams, so I drafted 5 Padre players at >$250K right off the bat. Then I added ’85 Saberhagen and ’08 Figgins, two guys that had been showing up with consistency as wildcard choices in my drafts.

Now it was time for my three franchises. I started with the ’89 Expos so I could get a relatively cheap and productive Raines (.286 with 93 BB and 41/50 in steals). Bryn Smith should do well at this cap, and Martinez and Burke complete that franchise.

Next up, I opted for the ’98 Mariners because I felt Edgar’s ’98 season is reasonably priced (maybe even underpriced) and should play well at this cap - $5.42M for .322/429/.567, 29 HR and 106 walks. Moyer was a little more than I wanted to spend, but should give me some quality innings. Buhner provides a partial season with good homer and walk rates that can serve as a good platoon. Bell and Amaral are good bench options. Mike Timlin’s 80 innings will bolster the bullpen and his WHIP should be helped by the ballpark, with his low walk rate.

To close it out, I needed a team with a solid middle IF. I landed on the ’11 Rangers. Kinsler comes with good ABs to man the leadoff spot, and he and Andrus bring solid defense, good speed and good SB rates. Torrealba gives me a C with a decent arm and OBP, Chavez provides a high-average platoon with Buhner, and Hamilton provides some pop and a good SB% at a decent price.

In addition to Figgins and Saberhagen, my remaining wildcard additions will bolster the pen, including ’15 Stroman, ’14 Fernandez and ’13 Will Smith. I went with Angel Stadium to help the pitching staff a bit and maximize on my lineup’s speed and walks. I feel good about this team, but that rarely means much.

Offense: .278/.358/.433, 136 HR, 557 BB, 172/220 SB
Pitching: 1.14 WHIP, 3.17 ERA, .244 OAV, 1.9 BB/9, 6.2 K/9, 0.77 HR/9

$90M – The '86 Astros Wynn Again (’86 Astros)
Astrodome

I’m really unsure about this team. But since I couldn’t find a clone team that really stood out, I decided to go out of my comfort zone. I initially began by looking for a stud real-life team that just needed one twist. The closest I came was the 2016 Cubs, with twisted Arrieta, but just didn’t feel like I had enough overall quality on offense. I'll be watching d_rock's team with keen interest. I also strongly considered a Maddux/Giles team with the '98 Padres - lots of walks from Giles to help at Petco, and good low-walk seasons from Maddux that should have played well there too. But alas, I settled on the ’66 Astros and their 72-90 record, giving me three twists.

I really like my offense in this league – it’s built for the Astrodome. With Joe Morgan and Jimmy Wynn (a player I’ve never used and didn’t know much about) as my clones, my top 5 hitters each have 100+ walks (hitters overall have 795), and my team has 265 steals at a 79.3% success rate. I’ve also got 185 homers that should help on the road. Morgan will play 1B, 2B and DH, with Wynn manning all three OF positions. This team also offers a decent poor man's option to a SH lineup, which is R/L/R/L etc., all the way down.

Pitching is where I may be in trouble. I have low-walk, higher-homer guys that should perform well at home but may get shelled with consistency on the road. Robin Roberts is my third clone. My rotation consists of ’52 Roberts, ’66 Cuellar, ’63 Roberts and ’66 Dierker, with ’65 Roberts as a stud reliever. The rest of the pen is highly suspect, but I’m curious to see where this team ends up.

Offense: .270/.366/.432, 183 HR, 795 BB, 265/334 SB
Pitching: 1.16 WHIP, 3.18 ERA, .250 OAV, 1.9 BB/9, 5.1 K/9, 0.76 HR/9

$100M – 1993-2002 Pairs of Red Socks (’93-’02 Red Sox)
Fenway Park

I’ve always avoided Fenway Park in my WIS career – I’ve avoided hitters parks in general do to what I perceive as their unpredictability, and the fact they require you to buy more innings for your pitching staff. But in keeping with the spirit of going out of my comfort zone and trying new strategies this year, here we are. This team took the longest for me to build and I went through MANY iterations. I had a ’68-’77 A’s team I really liked, but once I saw this offense, I had to find a way to make it work. I downgraded pitching more than I wanted to fit everyone in, but I’m cautiously optimistic.

I made sure to get a good blend of average, power and defense among my hitters. ’00 Damon will leadoff and man CF, flanked by ’99 Manny and ’93 Rickey. ’94 Mitchell will handle 1B, while ’95 Baerga, ’95 Valentin and ’95 Naehring will provide solid defense and solid hitting/OBP around the diamond. Throw in high% steals from Damon, Baerga, Valentin and Rickey, and this offense should pile on the runs.

Now, the pitching. I’m satisfied with ’97 Pedro and Clemens atop the rotation, but am not sure what I’ll get from relative unknowns in ’94 Saberhagen and ’95 Schourek. It was really hard to find good bullpen options, outside of a stud season from ’99 Lowe (110IP, 1.00 WHIP, 230 ERC+). ’99 Garces, ’93 Belinda, ’99 Wasdin and ’97 Stanton will try to bridge the gaps.

Not sure how to feel about this team, given some pitchers I’ve never used and the fact that I’m not comfortable with Fenway, but the offense will be fun to watch nonetheless.

Offense: .313/.403/.523, 222 HR, 703 walks, 143/174 SB
Pitching: 1.07 WHIP, 2.75 ERA, .224 OAV, 2.3 BB/9, 8.5 K/9, 0.7 HR/9

$120M – No Franchise Soup For You! (Franchise Soup)
Dodger Stadium

Since I've never made Round 2, I didn't waste time thinking ahead - I went with the option I felt gave me the best chance to win this round and I'll worry about the rest later. I always get mixed results at Dodger Stadium, but I always come back. I chose the park first with this one and decided to build around it, focusing on speed and singles hitters, with walks and high-percentage steals. ’54 Ashburn and ’83 Raines set the table for ’28 Ruth and ’85 Brett, with ’00 Castillo and ’85 Smith also in the mix. Went with a cheap ’86 Rose and his 86 walks, and ’78 Sundberg and his career 46% CS round things out. The bench is also strong, with Burke, Loretta and Walker available to PH.

I opted to go with a two-man rotation in ’08 Mathewson and ’08 Walsh, and a bullpen stacked with great low-inning seasons from starters, including Fister, Smith, Allen, Milacki, Northrop, Smyly and Hill. ’13 Santos and ’16 Miller will share closing duties, and Eck and Meredith round out the pen. This team barely walks anyone, and has a respectable OAV. In hindsight, Astrodome may have been a better choice for this team, but we’ll see.

I’m not sure what to think about this team, but it should at least produce offensively at home, and I think the pitching staff flexibility will end up being a huge asset.

Offense: .304/.407/.451, 126 HR, 817 BB, 232/298 SB
Pitching: 0.81 WHIP, 1.48 ERA, .192 OAV, 1.1 BB/9, 6 K/9, 0.25 HR/9

$120M – The B Sharps
National League Park II

My defense may not be pretty in this one, but the offense and pitching will keep them in games. I initially thought it was just range, so I opted for good defenders with C or worse range to give me more payroll. When I discovered it was both fielding and range, I didn’t want to upset my roster too much, so I downgraded a few A/C type fielders to B/C. Overall, the fielding isn’t great, but shouldn’t kill us.

I went with high #2B/100 guys, with speed and walks. Only ’28 Ruth (57) and ’58 Mantle (44) have double-digit homers, so hopefully the doubles carry the day. With doubles studs Lajoie, Boggs and Wagner around the two mashers, this team should have no problem producing runs. ’87 Coleman and ’95 Weiss give us a little speed at the bottom of the order and ’79 Wynager’s career 50% CS should help control opponents’ run games.

When it comes to pitching, low OAV was the focus, to limit other team’s potential for XBH in this extreme doubles park. ’08 Mathewson, ’14 Hendrix and ’86 Scott are in the rotation, with a bullpen chock full of low-OAV studs, including Carlos, Adams, Feliz, Hill, Romo, Miller and Milacki. I’m on the fence with this team. I like it on the surface, but it will all depend on if my strategy and ballpark pay off.

Offense: .317/.416/.481, 136 HR, 797 BB, 247/365 SB
Pitching: 0.88 WHIP, 1.84 ERA, .190 OAV, 1.8 BB/9, 7.1 K/9, 0.36 HR/9

$140M – Triple Your Pleasure
Petco Park

Wise or not, my immediate choice for this was triples, since Petco Park offers a +5 advantage for triples over the other two stats. I knew I wanted to focus on speed and walks, so those guided my search.

’26 Ruth anchors the order and leads the way with 151 walks. His average and power will be hampered a bit at Petco, but he should fuel the offense on the road. No one else on the team has more than 90 walks, but there are still plenty to go around. ’23 Carey and ’03 Beltran will set the table and drive the run game, with ’07 Bourn coming off the bench as a PR. This team is fairly well rounded, with 300+ doubles and 150+ homers, so we should be able to compete on the road as well.

Expensive guns ’68 Gibson, ’65 Koufax and ’95 Maddux will hopefully help shutdown the thunder in opposing lineups and limit walks. Throw in Petco, and I expect big things from my staff. ’15 Kershaw is also in the mix for spot starts and bullpen work, along with ’67 Carlos, ’88 Milacki, ’16 Miller, ’15 Stroman, ’08 Wagner and ’63 Tiefenauer.

I like this team and think it’s built well for the theme, but high cap leagues always seem to be a bit of a crapshoot, so we’ll see.

Offense: .321/.405/.524, 169 HR, 764 BB, 190/266 SB
Pitching: 0.87 WHIP, 1.86 ERA, .193 OAV, 1.7 BB/9, 9 K/9, 0.57 HR/9
8/8/2017 9:45 AM
I will go over mine here, because eh why not

A note before I start, i was the last person to enter the tourney, taking someone elses spot, and threw together all of my teams in 6 days...sooo, dont expect rocket science here, research was minimal, performance likely the same.

70m (version 2.0)

I made this team after I realized (or was made to realize) that one of my original teams only had 17.85 mil because i was counting a same year 200k scrub in. Basically I went looking first for pitching, and ended up like many others with a Mets team, however 72 for me. When i say pitching, thats it, 3 whopping pitchers, 697 innings and 18.5 ish mil later i moved on to the only holdover from my original team the 81 Rangers, for another shot of 3 pitchers, one bench player and a horrible fielding 1b later. Lastly the 07 mariners, this choice allowed me to fill C with an arm, 3b, lf and RF, leaving me enough leftover cash to fill 2 more bullpen spots and ss, 2b, cf with leftover money. This is my first real small cap team in years...and i expect it will show

Hitting 5570 AB 282/347/436
Pitching 1378 IP .236 1.17 Whip

90mil

Looked into a maddux/chipper Smoltz/Chipper Ott/Hubbell etc and finally settled on the 2008 New York choke artists...er mets. Cloned Pedro, and Carlos Beltran. Figure at worst trotting out a Starting rotation of 3 pedros (and a token johan) and a lineup with a solid Jose Reyes, David Wright and Delgado season, along with an OF and DH of beltran would be a decent start. Afraid the last 2 spots in my lineup of platoons will not be pretty. but much more confident than my 70mil mess.

Hitting 6297 AB 284/347/465
Pitching 1481 IP .222/1.14 WHIP

100mil

Went with one of my favorite twist spots, the deadball A's went back and forth for a few days on year selection, ended up stretching to 17 to make the bench not cost a crazy amount. Pitching staff of Stan coveleski, Chief Bender, Eddie Plank, Cy morgan, Harry krause and Co should keep me in games. Hopeful some of the bats around Jackson, Baker and Collins can support em without the stone gloves coming back to bite me in the butt.

Hitting 5764 AB 311/383/428
Pitching 1548 IP .213/1.02

Variable Cap

This is one of the few i built mutiple teams for, before settling on a C team, Foxx, Heilmann, Klein, Cuyler, Wagner lead my offense, where on pitching i ended up going with Silver King for the first time in awhile. Mixed feelings here, but it is what it is

Hitting 338/424/551
Pitching 1569 IP .201/.93

120 Mil

Went with alphabet, and frankly i hate this team....little too much money on the bench, and nothing really stands out, kind of just threw together a 120 mil team and cant stand it after the fact. I really have no illusions of making the 2nd round anyway, but if i fall just a little short, im pretty sure im going to blame this team here. Gehringer, lange, ott, mize, Heilmann, and cochrane lead my offense, 3 finger, cy young, dave davenport and a fairly loaded pen for that end of it

HItting 338/423/543
Pitching 1577 IP .201/.94

140 Mil

Went with triples, went back and forth with triples and doubles, ended up deciding on 3b after building both and tinkering a bit. Hornsby, English Mays Cuyler Bottomley and co, backing Hubbell, Sutton, Guidry and kershaw in the starting rotation. This is really the first team i have made in a long long time focused towards one particular hitting stat so we shall see.

Hitting 336/409/551
Pitching 1568 IP .200/.94

8/8/2017 9:47 AM
1|2|3...8 Next ▸
Round 1 Roster Selection Strategies, 2017 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.