Round 1 Roster Selection Strategies, 2017 Topic

Accidentally deleted my post when trying to add in my 120M writeup.

70M - Expansion Ball
MH '81 Astros / '86 Mets / '97 Angels
Safeco Field

A lot of times, if you put enough time into researching a theme, you can find what is truly the best option. This is even true of some of the themes in this year's tournament. I wanted this league to be the antithesis of that. With the tight restriction on salary per team, and the sheer amount of possible three-team combinations (well into the millions), I doubt anyone found the truly optimal solution even with hours of searching. Rather, this theme is all about who found the best local max.

The first question I asked myself when building my team was how I wanted to use my additional salary. That is, the 10-16M in salary that I could take from any expansion team. I did not want to be stuck picking three teams that provided me with an A+ arm catcher or a decent SS (at such a low cap, these guys are few and far between, especially ones with $/IP or $/PA value). I toyed around with using the majority of it on 9M+ 1978 Mike Caldwell, but ultimately thought my C/SS angle was the way to go. I ended up taking Gene Tenace and Walt Weiss, two great values. I left the rest of my additional salary to fill in the gaps (bullpen? last starter? platoon guys / bench?) wherever my three chosen teams ended up falling short.

For me, though, this is all about the 1981 Astros. My team could probably have the subtitle The Revenge of the 1981 Astros, due to the fact that by second guessing myself and not using them in last year's Round 1, I probably cost myself 3-5 spots in the final standings. That's really my rational for leading with them (well, that and the fact that they have great value pitching with low HR/9#.

Speed and getting the switch-hitter advantage is also more important at low caps, and the '81 Astros also have some of that, but I used up all my available salary of their great pitching. So, my next step was to find another team that had a balance of hitting / fielding, led by more of those switch hitters. After a lot of brute force searching, I stumbled onto the 1997 Angels by way of looking at Tony Phillips seasons. They give me multiple switch hitting starters and the surprisingly-not-awful-looking duo of Darin Erstad and Tim Salmon (at this cap, hopefully they'll be ok). That gave me most of my lineup (the rest could be filled in by additional salary players), so now I needed some pitching.

The 1986 Mets were an easy-to-find choice. I had briefly considered Gooden as an additional salary player, and had noticed they had both some hitting and more pitching at that time. I ended up using Gooden, Dykstra, Roger McDowell, Rick Anderson, and some bench players. I filled out the rest of the pen with additional salary. Doing so (rather than using it on my bench) allowed me to get some top tier relievers like Marcus Stroman (who could also spot start for me in the playoffs, should I make it). Went with Safeco after finding an 11th hour error on my own team (damn you, combined season rule) and no longer having anyone who could hit. They get on base ok though, so Safeco it is.

Obviously, in a theme like this, I considered many other options along the way to landing with these teams (almost used the 1989 Expos, 1997 Marlins, 1978 Brewers and a few others), but the pieces fit together too well to go elsewhere.

Hitting: 4888 PAs, .276 AVG, .374 OBP, .420 SLG, 150 SBs, $32.2M
Pitching: 1,289 IP, 1.11 WHIP, 0.52 HR/9, $36.8M

Prediction: 92-68. I have made the World Series in both of the last two years' Round 1 low cap leagues. Not that past performance is any indicator of success here, but I also feel better about this team than I did about either of those two. I think 92 wins may be conservative here, but don't want to count my chickens in case we run into some bad luck fatigue.

90M - Real Team + Clones w/ DH
MH 1989 Montreal Expos
Olympic Stadium

I could not make up my mind on this theme and, even after seeing everyone's rosters, I have very little idea how I'm going to do in this league.

My first thought with this theme was to find the best bad team I could and make a roster of little more than three clones. Eventually, after having difficult staying under the cap with this method (at least partially due to the DH), I switched courses and looked for middle of the road teams that would allow me to clone a pitcher and a hitter. I did this, rather than switch to great teams with one clone (like the '69 Orioles) because I thought there'd be less dead salary with two clones. Generally, on any team, there are full time players who would take up a couple million and just be awful either as hitters or fielders. With cash at a premium, this didn't seem like a great place to compromise to me.

After seeing ArlenWilliam win 112 games in Round 1 with a bunch of Tim Raines clones two years ago, I wanted to at least explore the option here. Raines can take up OF, 1B, 2B, DH, and has a cheap scrub season. Of all of his teams, the 1989 Expos are solid due to also having a decent (and cheap) SS, 3B, and C. Also, I had looked at the 1989 Expos during my research for the 70M theme, and noticed they had Randy Johnson and Dennis Martinez, in addition to Raines.

I ended up using Martinez clones rather than Johnson to make up the majority of my pitching staff due to both the cap and the high pitch counts Johnson would hit (high walks and strikeouts is not a great idea at < 100M). I am not crazy (see: super uncomfortable) about Martinez due to his generally high HR/9, which makes me worried that this team will weight down my win total, but I was more willing to compromise here than on wasted salary.

I almost entered a 2008 Dodgers twist here (my favorite of the Maddux teams) with a few Manny Ramirez clones patrolling the (thankfully tiny) OF at Chavez Ravine. Other team I really wanted to enter was the 1927 Yankees with four sub-10M Ruth's (and no Gehrig). Unfortunately, the pitching was just too bad to be able to justify. Were this a regular theme and not the WISC, I totally would've gone for it.

Hitting: 5747 PAs, .281 AVG, .369 OBP, .408 SLG, 388 SBs, $46.4M
Pitching: 1,453 IP, 1.10 WHIP, 0.56 HR/9, $41.0M

Prediction: 82-80. Tim Raines isn't quite the value he was two years ago, but I'm optimistic that this team should still due at least halfway decent since we are in a stadium that negates HRs. I am sort of worried that a Maddux team was the obvious choice that I missed.

100M - Hitting the Limit Twist
MH 1912-1921 New York Giants
Polo Grounds (V)

I thought deadball years would dominate this theme. However, my league has only six deadball teams in it. With that said, my normal go to at this cap, the deadball Cubs, have been hit by dynamic pricing, and also are frustrating not quite suited for this theme. You cannot have both 1903 Sheckard and 1914 Hendrix, or 1907 Brown and 1918 Vaughn. So, after toying around with them for a bit, I took a look at a few other deadball teams (Pirates, A's, Naps, White Sox, Red Sox). What I found was that, surprisingly, none looked dominant at 100M. So maybe my initial hypothesis was wrong. Maybe there wasn't a dominant deadball team in this theme.

However, then I looked at the Giants, who I had initially ignored due to Mathewson's most affordable seasons (1905 & 1907) being frustratingly out of reach of the late-teens years of Nehf, Toney, Schupp, Sallee, and Frisch. Maybe, with dynamic pricing having impacted top-tier deadball pitchers, I didn't need Mathewson. Maybe I could settle for his 1913 short-inning relief season, or maybe I could ignore him altogether. Maybe I didn't need 300+ great innings from one guy, and could instead get some better and some worse. It was a recalibration, of sorts.

Using Heinie Zimmerman (1912) and Frisch (1921) as tentpoles, I built the team, eventually settling on 1913, 1916, and 1920 as twist years. 1913 let me play Zimmerman at 1B (where he has A range) rather than 3B, and have Heinie Groh's A/A defense at the hot corner. 1915 Kauff was a no-brainer for the OF. A tough choice was between '21 Bancroft with his superior fielding (and offense) at SS vs 1920 Edd Roush and his A+ range and speed in the OF. I ended up going with Roush, due to having to spend half the season in the hated Polo Grounds with it's +3 doubles, and settling for a lesser Bancroft season. I tried every which way to fit '21 Bancroft, looking at worse seasons of Groh, some truly poor RPs, and alternative options at C (other than Chief Meyers) but couldn't make it work.

I skimped a bit on innings here but, due to having both A- or better range at every position and some truly top tier pitching (Toney, Nehf, Anderson, Sallee, etc.) for this cap from years that normalize better than those aughts Cubs, I think we'll be ok. We do have a mopup if worst comes to worst.

Hitting: 5384 PAs, .320 AVG, .389 OBP, .442 SLG, $50.8M
Pitching: 1,360 IP, 0.98 WHIP, 0.10 HR/9, $47.5M

Prediction: 95-67. Getting lucky and going up against mostly modern teams will help me here, especially if the divisional alignment is favorable. This team will probably overperform a bit due to that. I am anxious to see how my result compares with doctorcc, discodemo and jfranco77, who ended up with similar teams.

120M - Choose Your Soup
MH & Omega
Kauffman Stadium

Hoping to improve on last year's 9th place finish, I started this team by planning for Round 2. There were three combinations between the three options possible for Round 2. I immediately ruled out Alphabet / Decade and built the other two. There will be a round of dynamic pricing between now and then, so my Round 2 test teams were built to around 115M.

I liked my Decade / Franchise team the best, so Alphabet it is for Round 1.

Some letters provided tougher choices than others, and acted as inflection points. These were: K (Kershaw, Kerins, Kauff), F (Frisch, Fister, Foxx), C (Connor, Cobb, Cicotte, Carey, Collins), and R (Roush, Reilly, Reyes). Additionally, while pitching was easy with Walsh and Hendrix leading the way, some positions had fewer viable options than others. These were: 3B (Baker, Joyce, Travis), 2B (Frisch, Phillips, Collins, Morgan, Young - not Stirnweiss since Tris Speaker was a lock for this team), and C (Kerins, Foxx, Ewing, Inge, Peitz).

The Kerins vs. Kershaw / Foxx vs. Frisch conundrum took a while to sort out, and I ran through many different iterations of my team (I think I spent more time on this one than most people).

My least favorite part of this theme was having to stomach overpriced RPs. Northrop is really the only option at N (Niggeling walks too many people, Nehf is equally overpriced as Northrop), but $3.1M for 51 IP is a tough pill to swallow at 120M.

My team compares well against recent 120M no-restrictions teams I've put together, with slightly better pitching and slightly worse SLG than I am used to. If this teams gets lucky in terms of not many extra inning games early in the season, it will challenge for 100 wins.

Hitting: 5422 PAs, .333 AVG, .400 OBP, .472 SLG, $59.5M
Pitching: 1,414 IP, .88 WHIP, 0.16 HR/9, $58.0M

Prediction: 95-67. This team will do well, but I do wish I'd been able to squeeze some more SLG out of the lineup.

Variable Cap - Out of Range
MH A... Large Defecit
Hilltop Park

When I first came up with this theme, I was worried it may be too gimmicky for the WISC. As the idea developed, though, it became my favorite theme. Whether that translates to wins has yet to be seen.

Anyway, this is a 115M league where you're able to add on additional salary if you believe strongly that you'll be able to score more incremental runs than you'll be forced to give up due to worse defense, after accounting for the fact that you will need to use some of that money to either pay for more or higher quality innings to combat this fact. I think it's important to frame the league that way, rather than having to "pay for good defense twice." The difference is not as large as it seems like many approached it to be and, combined with the fact that range is underpriced, my hypothesis was that A is the best choice.

To test that, my first step here was to do research on each of the four options. Strangely, C had better offensive options than D, so that meant D was out right off the bat (as someone who knows they're going to like A, I was working backwards). B was ok but, as others have noted, the difference between B and C is not that great, and C's hitting was (again) better. I came really close to using my C team, since the slash was drool-worthy. To help make the final call, I built out a Bayesian model using a methodology similar to jfranco77's, but with factoring in pitching. I estimated runs scored using OPS# and added the total to an estimate for runs suppressed by ERC# and HR/9#, and then compared the absolute sum to an estimate for runs saved by RRF and FLDG%. My model is definitely rudimentary, but I am going with it. The thing that really sold me was that, with the most recent round of dynamic pricing, there are some really amazing values for pitching out there right now; the pitching on my A team was barely worse than my pitching on the C team.

As noted above, I've seen people make the comment that they don't want to pay for defense twice (i.e. once baked into the salary and then again with a lower cap). This would be a great argument if top flight range wasn't incredibly underpriced in the sim. Getting 200-250 + plays in a season is not unheard of, and the cost is minimal since all A+'s are priced the same. I can further exploit this by playing in a cavernous ballpark (I went with Hilltop after coming super close to pulling the trigger on Mile High - this may have been the smarter call since we don't hit many doubles, but I wanted to make sure the ball stayed in the park) where the C and D teams will really struggle to keep runs off the board.

Unlike the three other leagues, my league has only two total A teams. This is actually fortuitous for me, since I made sure to stock up on innings as much as possible within the cap restrictions.

Also - shoutout to Win Kellum for making my A team possible. The value of a bad long reliever is so high in this game, and he is a perfect fit for that role.

Hitting: 5457 PAs, .320 AVG, .397 OBP, .481 SLG, $57.7M
Pitching: 1,446 IP, .90 WHIP, 0.19 HR/9, $55.9M

Prediction: 90-72. I am a lot less worried about this team than I was when I built it. My one remaining worry is that the lower cap meant I didn't have the leeway to use modern SPs unless I wanted to sacrifice quality. After gauging both, I went with quality deadballers. We'll see if that was the right move.

140M - XBH Challenge
MH Stopping @ 2nd
Olympic Stadium

First, I tried all three stats. I agree with doctorcc's point that HRs may be viable in this league. Bighooze and justinlee_24 have HR teams in my league that look terrifying. However...

for me it came down to doubles and triples. Without deadball seasons, justifying triples was surprisingly difficult (did I really want Kiki Cuyler patrolling the OF in a league centered around XBHs and XBH friendly stadiums?). A lot of the good, liveball era triples hitters have been hit hard by dynamic pricing (9.2M for Willie McGee?). So, contrary to the popular belief (of d_rock97) that I'd go for triples, I went for doubles (as much as it pains me). Knowing there would be some triples teams, I wanted at least some triples and ended up with just over 100. There are less triples teams than I anticipated, so this point may be moot.

My biggest problem with doubles teams is that it's hard to find good-value doubles hitters who have good range, despite needing good range to be successful in doubles-friendly parks. I decided to say forget the INF, since there are stadiums with -1 for singles, let's instead focus on OF range only. Cue Stan Musial, Milton Bradley, and Max Carey (EDIT: I originally wrote Tris Speaker here. Speaker is playing 1B for me, not OF).

There are a lot of good partial season players who hit a lot of doubles (Enter Earl Bruckner and Terry Shumpert) though, and my offense is really solid. Hopefully solid enough.

For pitching, minimizing HRs was an easy call. Finding short inning SPs from the liveball era who A) haven't been hit with dynamic pricing too hard and B) don't walk a lot of people was tough. I eventually carved out some salary for Cisco Carlos and called it a day.

Hitting: 5839 PAs, .356 AVG, .431 OBP, .547 SLG, 422 doubles, 111 triples, 106 HRs, $73.3M
Pitching: 1,475 IP, .88 WHIP, 0.29 HR/9, $66.5M

Prediction: 86-76. This feels like a good-not-great team. Not sure I got this one on the nose, feels like I missed something. Maybe I just miss triples.
8/10/2017 1:05 PM (edited)
"Hoping to improve on last year's 9th place finish, I started this team by planning for Round 2. There were six combinations between the three options possible for Round 2. I immediately ruled out Alphabet / Decade and built the other five. There will be a round of dynamic pricing between now and then, so my Round 2 test teams were built to around 115M."

Must be nice to have the luxury of building for Round 2 before Round 1 even starts. Rub it in to us lowly owners, why don't you?
8/10/2017 9:30 AM
Hey, I answered the Owner Poll with saying 50/50. I like my teams but am not as confident overall as I was last year. It's tough to take yourself out of tunnel vision from creating the themes in order to build good teams (and also with less time since you need to get the leagues set up). Kudos to schwarze for doing it and being so consistent over the years.

Also, I must've been really tired last night because there are not six combinations and I did not build five teams, lol.
8/10/2017 1:49 PM (edited)
(did I really want Kiki Cuyler patrolling the OF in a league centered around XBHs and XBH friendly stadiums?)

I, for one, do! Go Kiki, go!
8/10/2017 11:00 AM

To help make the final call, I built out a Bayesian model using a methodology similar to jfranco77's, but with factoring in pitching. I estimated runs scored using OPS# and added the total to an estimate for runs suppressed by ERC# and HR/9#, and then compared the absolute sum to an estimate for runs saved by RRF and FLDG%. - Ozo

Are you effing kidding me? I feel like the kid in school who eats paste.
8/10/2017 11:13 AM
Ralph Wiggum, meet Martin Prince
8/10/2017 11:21 AM
Posted by toddcommish on 8/10/2017 11:13:00 AM (view original):

To help make the final call, I built out a Bayesian model using a methodology similar to jfranco77's, but with factoring in pitching. I estimated runs scored using OPS# and added the total to an estimate for runs suppressed by ERC# and HR/9#, and then compared the absolute sum to an estimate for runs saved by RRF and FLDG%. - Ozo

Are you effing kidding me? I feel like the kid in school who eats paste.
omg...laughing hard...great reference! i'm with ya!
8/10/2017 11:57 AM
70M - Florida Brewers Expo - Shea Stadium

My approach at 70M themes is to get 8 good position players, good starting pitching, and patch together a bullpen with what's left. The '82 Expos gave me Raines (nice lead off hitter, despite the coke), Rogers and Charlie Lea. The '78 Brewers yielded the 294 IP Caldwell, A+ range Cooper and Yount, and Bill Castro. Then came the hard part, finding a complementary 3rd team. I finally settled on the '97 Marlins with Kevin Brown, Bobby Bo at 3rd, Moises Alou and a mediocre reliever, Jay Powell. I filled in the gaps with Perconte, Derek Bell, Gattis, and some Tums (cheap relievers).

By the way, I'll stand on Steve Earle's coffee table and drink Townes Van Zandt's beer to declare that Evan Gattis is the best catcher under 4M available in this theme. And for all you fellow owners who drafted under 1325 IP, let us now say a silent prayer to the baseball gods that we avoid the pitcher fatigue death spiral.

5276 PA .285/.348/.426 124HR 176SB
1309 IP 1.16 WHIP 75HR's allowed

90M - '95 Tribe - Jacobs Field

At the outset, I had a vague idea of what I wanted this team to look like:
1. > .290 team batting ave.
2. > 200 HRs
3. team WHIP < 1.1
4. decent closer
5. some good defenders
6. a proper DH, not a light collection of National League pinch hitters

The '95 Tribe with cloned Hershisers starting most of the time came closest to my vague ideal.

6159 PA's .293/.363/.483 227 HRs 306 Doubles
1430 IP 1.14 WHIP 101 HR's allowed

100M - 12-21 Giants - Polo Grounds

In a somewhat similar theme in last year's tourney, I stupidly went with a modern Dodgers team that was crushed by deadball teams. So I'm going out on a limb and picking a deadball team this year. It was between the Cubs, White Sox and Giants, but I went with the latter due to slightly better defence. (Yeah, I'm Canadian).

5717 PA's .317/.388/.441 54HR's 103 Triples
1393 IP .99 WHIP 15 HR's allowed

115M (Variable) - A is for Ashburn - AT&T Park

Defence is what brung me to the dance, so I'm going home with defence. I briefly contemplated a "C" team but to quote Kurtz in Apocalypse Now "The horror, the horror".

5723 PA's .331/.401/.457 43HR's 103 Triples
1467 IP .90 WHIP 22 HRs allowed

120M - Sliding Billy's Speedy Alphabet Soup - AT&T Park

My wife saw this note scribbled next to the computer: "It's amazing how many cookies you can fit into a 120M alphabet soup team". She said I must be an "idiot savant, minus the savant". Sounds about right.

For the record, my cookies are Brett, Frisch, McGee, Vizquel, Sliding Billy Hamilton, Speaker of course, Peitz and Connor. The pitching staff is anchored with Walsh, Johnson and the .72 WHIP Kershaw.

5762 PA's .338/.404/.480 70HR's 121 Triples 383 SB's
1464 IP .88 WHIP 27 HRs allowed

140M - Drive-In Triple Feature - Comerica Park

What's good at this bar? I see everyone is ordering doubles. The portions are huge. That's a lot of doubles. The connoisseurs tell me the triples are good. Why is no one ordering moon shots? They're fun. I'm so confused. You need to take my order? I dunno....I'm thirsty and hungry so I guess I'll order triples with a side of taters. I'll need a designated driver and a designated hitter.

6190 PA's .340/.408/.557 152 Triples 190HRs 317 Doubles
1510 IP .91 WHIP 47 HR's allowed
8/10/2017 8:56 PM (edited)
Final three teams

120M – Alpha Soup

I chose the decade route, but for the life of me can’t remember why now – probably because it was the path of least resistance. Used the same general team building concept for this team that I did for all of the others – find cheap efficient pitching, and use pitcher friendly ballpark and DEF to build a staff that hopefully over performs. By under spending on pitching I can build a team of solid OBP, high XBH, 150 SLG+, and high range DEF.

5766 PA, .350 AVG, .409 OBP, .550 SLG - $69.7M
1553 IP, .216 OAVG, 0.98 WHIP, 0.39 HR/9 - $50.1M

$115M – Variable Cap

Same song, fifth verse – under spend on pitching, and spend extra cash on strong OBP, SLG+, high range DEF. Cross fingers ballpark and range will create an over performing pitching staff, and high XBH, high SLG+ can create some offense.

5633 PA .343 AVG, .405 OBP, .505 SLG - $62M
1463 IP, .206 OAVG, 0.97 WHIP 1.80 ERA, 0.30 HR/9 - $53M

$140M – XBH Challenge (Triples)

Last verse: Cheap pitching, load upon DEF and SLG+. Petco park, High Range DEF, and 150 SLG+ Triples team – my favorite kind of team regardless of salary cap. Nervous about HR/9, but hoping PETCO minimizes damage, and people not building HR teams…

6658 PA, .335 AVG, .401 OBP, .576 SLG - $81M
1513 IP, .191 OAVG, 0.97 WHIP 0.76 HR/9 - $58M
8/10/2017 12:14 PM
Quote post by discodemo on 8/10/2017 12:13:00 PM:

"By the way, I'll stand on Steve Earle's coffee table and drink Townes Van Zandt's beer..."

Brilliant
8/10/2017 1:04 PM
Is it possible that discodemo is Jason Parks?
8/10/2017 2:15 PM
From the paste-eating kid who is seeded around 80th in the field:

70M – 83 TEX, 85 SDP, 91 MIL - I immediately targeted a five-man rotation, reasoning that most of the modern seasons (aka, post-expansion) were built on five-man rotations and there wouldn’t be enough 260+ inning starters on expansion teams to build a workable four-man system. So, from my three expansion clubs, I wanted at least four 180-240 inning starters, reasoning that I could fill the fifth slot with a wild card. I found the ’83 Texas Rangers with a wide range of pitchers that fit my broad criteria, including Hough (250 IP), Tanana (160 IP), and Honeycutt (175 IP) along with three relievers to kickstart my staff with more than 740 IP for my $18.15M. I found two more starters with the ’91 Brewers (Bosio/Wegman) who dragged along my franchise hitter (Molitor) and a platoon SS (Spiers). Now I needed position players and I stumbled upon the ’85 Padres who filled in most of my remaining positions (2B platoon, 3B platoon, OF) along with Dave Dravecky to round out the staff. Reading up on the other strategies (SB, switch hitters, etc.), I’m not optimistic.
HIT: .277/.369/.426 with platoons as far as the eye can see, AB might be an issue
PITCH: 1422 IP, 1.18 WHIP, .241 OAV, .68 HR/9

90M – Sheffield/Brown + 99 LADs – Like most, I wanted to find a sub-.550 team so I could clone both a hitter and a pitcher. I zeroed in on Kevin Brown for his range of seasons that all seemed to be somewhat workable at this cap, plus he had TONS of different teams to choose from. Once I picked KB, I had to find a team with a reasonable bullpen plus a clone-able hitter. The ’99 Dodgers had 200 non-KB bullpen innings that seemed to fit, and the eminently clone-able Gary Sheffield. Sheff has some high OBP seasons and some high SLG seasons plus he had 3B eligibility which meant he could fill FIVE positions (3B, all three OF, DH), meaning the Dodgers just needed to fill C, 1B, 2B, and SS. Interestingly, there is another Sheff/Brown team in my league, except FatBoyDad chose the ’96 Marlins as his backup band.
HIT: .288/.374/.482 – We’ll see if fielding bites me here or KB can strike out enough guys to compensate
PITCH: 1446 IP, 1.13 WHIP, .230 OAV, .62 HR/9

100M – Yankees 96-05 – When twisting teams come up, the ’00 Yankees and ’05 Yankees are always one of the first options. The pitching options are plentiful, and the hitting will always be solid. I basically chose to encompass ’96 because it was one of the only Jeter years with a respectable range at a reasonable price. I figured I could make up for a weaker Jeter offense at other positions and just keep him batting 8th all year (650 PA). There are a LOT of teams that used ’00 and ’05, so we’ll see if I chose wisely.
HIT: .306/.399/.536 – Typical Yankee thumpers
PITCH: 1399 IP, 1.03 WHIP, .213 OAV, .65 HR/9

120M – Soupermen – Just went with Alpha soup. I have very little faith that I will make the 2nd round, so I took the path of least resistance. Nothing to see here.
HIT: .322/.440/.554 – At the end of the year, this will look more like .222/.340/.397
PITCH: 1494 IP, 0.93 WHIP, .204 OAV, .56 HR/9

125M – C’s get degrees – Knew I didn’t want A’s, mainly because I’ve never really understood how/where to find the A+++ bargains. Knew I didn’t want D’s, mainly because I hate losing games because someone makes an error on a flyball. Tried both B’s and C’s, but when I looked at actual FP/RRF I noticed that the differences between the C+ and B+ wasn’t nearly as pronounced as $5M would justify. With my C’s, I figured I’d spent the extra money on pitching and try to compensate for the occasional bad play.
HIT: .324/.426/.528 – Hmmm, seems like I should’ve been able to at least match my $120M team. Oh well…
PITCH: 1494 IP, 0.91 WHIP, .190 OAV, .50 HR/9 – So, $5M extra money bought me some better stats.

140M – Doubles Doubles Toils and Troubles – I went with doubles because, well, it seemed easier to build a team that was doubles-centric and could almost reach the HR number, so it would play well at two out of three ballpark configurations. One “strategy” I had that I haven’t heard mentioned is going with high strikeout pitchers. Since all of the ballparks will be offensively skewed, it made sense (to me, at least) to try and control how often the opposing hitters made contact.
HIT: .337/.427/.577 – I focused more on BA than OBP because I want hitters, not walkers when the XBH possibility is higher
PITCH: 1507 IP, 0.88 WHIP, .188 OAV, .46 HR/9, 9.47 K/9 (5-1 K-to-BB ratio)

It’s best to keep in mind that my team is rightfully ranked in the bottom 20%. My goal is to break back into the top 50% and/or have all teams at or above .500.
8/10/2017 2:18 PM (edited)
Brown was definitely a decent starting point. I drafted a team with him and Rickey on the '03 Dodgers. In the end, I just wasn't confident enough in the offense as a whole beyond Rickey, especially at Dodger Stadium.
8/10/2017 2:21 PM
"So, contrary to the popular belief (of d_rock97) that I'd go for triples, I went for doubles"

you have a bloody .750 win % in skunk's league with a triples team! And you went for doubles?
8/10/2017 3:08 PM
90% of the players on that team are ineligible here
8/10/2017 3:17 PM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7|8 Next ▸
Round 1 Roster Selection Strategies, 2017 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.