been away a year Topic

What Have I missed? I didnt stick around for the new format, I've not missed it too much....But I do from time to time....Whats good, whats bad and why should I take another try at it?

Thanks
JOCO
8/8/2017 4:10 PM
Depends on who you ask. I was away for 10 years. I prefer this version.
8/8/2017 4:16 PM
Good:
-more competitive recruiting, top recruits are less likely to be signed unchallenged
-more viable strategies for team building
-can build and be competitive at mid-major locations now
-no more urge to wake up in the middle of the night to monitor potential battles
-no more snowball
-overall, a more fun experience, as long as you can tolerate probabilistic, rather than deterministic recruiting decisions. 50.1 doesn't always beat 49.9 anymore

Bad:
-high baseline sim teams would rather take walkons than move down the recruit ladder, so they get really bad really fast, which is a drag on the power conferences
-teams at the bottom of the alphabet can inexplicably hide on the considering list when there are more than 10 teams vying for a player
-no one has figured out how to update the champions page in the new format
-not fixing coach hiring problems before or at the same time as 3.0 rollout was a mistake
8/8/2017 4:39 PM (edited)
Game is much easier to play on mobile now. I'm a big fan of the site redesign that came with 3.0.

Game engine and player settings are essentially the same as they were in 2.0.

Recruiting is fundamentally different and I don't think there's a fair or simple way to compare it to 2.0.
8/8/2017 4:39 PM
Hard to say. After 12 years under the old format, I've had a difficult time adjusting...not so much that I don't like the new version but it is so radically different from what I am accustomed to. Try a few seasons. You'll decide fairly quickly whether or not you can live with it.
8/8/2017 5:29 PM
- Recruiting advantage of having a 6 player superclass (with $96k) has been reduced a ton due to a cap of 80 AP's per player each cycle.
- Each recruiting cycle is now 6 hours, instead of 3 hours in the old version.
8/8/2017 9:54 PM
Joining a conference with other humans is still important to get the Strong Conference preferences but it no longer has to be full to be dominant. Six to eight quality coaches will get it done.

Man to man is the most common defense now. Press is still viable but harder to run with rosters more difficult to fill out with quality depth.
8/9/2017 2:09 PM
Posted by ftbeaglesfan on 8/9/2017 2:09:00 PM (view original):
Joining a conference with other humans is still important to get the Strong Conference preferences but it no longer has to be full to be dominant. Six to eight quality coaches will get it done.

Man to man is the most common defense now. Press is still viable but harder to run with rosters more difficult to fill out with quality depth.
Press is still by far the most common defense at D3.
8/9/2017 4:55 PM
Thanks guys, I'm still on the fence
8/29/2017 12:21 PM
Definitely recommend joining Crum, cuz it has the coolest people.
8/29/2017 2:51 PM
I'm about in the same boat as gomiami. Personally, I was a bigger fan of the older version. While I don't hate the game now, I don't love it either. I'm not a fan of recruiting. It's time consuming, because of scouting. It requires much more maintenance, because of AP distribution. If you're recruiting up a level and have 30 points on a guy and DI blows you off, or your guy signs somewhere else, you need to check every cycle and redistribute, whereas before i barely had to monitor until we got closer to signings. Other than design, most else remains the same.
8/30/2017 11:33 PM
I also remember in 2.0 you had a two hour window to place your first recruiting actions. Now you have 8 hours.

I like the 6 hours between cycles instead of 3 - I don't have to worry about falling behind in the middle of the night.

Harder to have a top tier pressing team because the competition for recruits is much stronger.

You can recruit at longer distances now, which is kind of cool.
9/1/2017 10:41 PM
been away a year Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.