I've Recruited well in D1A, DII, And DIII. But am fairly new/inexperienced at D1AA. D1AA clearly cherry picks off D1A. How costly on average can it tend to be to knock 3 sims off a D1A recruit at a D1AA level? Is it something you only do for 1-3 guys. Or do you tend to do it for majority?
8/9/2017 5:20 PM
If I see a 1-A school (human or SimAI) on a recruit, I move along to the next recruit.
I have never signed one and I have won 2 National Titles with Hofstra in Camp.

So, even if you could win a recruit in a battle with 1-A schools, there is no need to waste the huge sums of money it would surely cost. You can win a title without them.
8/9/2017 5:32 PM (edited)
It would have to be an undecided turd after signing begins... I would not put more $ that a "fishing" AC scout to see if they are even interested. If they are, great! However, recruit for the right reasons (may even need a promised start); decent growth potential etc. IMO a good growth potential 1-AA recruit will supersede a bad growth 1-A guy over 4 seasons.
8/9/2017 10:27 PM
My experience and $ amounts below, please note there are many variables that go into this like prestige of your school and when in recruiting you jump in. I guess I knock of D1A SIMS from a recruit almost every season. As cb mentions however it can be done many ways.

D1A 3 MID MAJOR sims-$8k - $18k
D1A 1-2 MID MAJOR sims-$10k - $25k
D1A 3 BCS sim-$10k - $22k
D1A 1-2 BCS sims-$15k - $30k

Again, this depends on many factors but the above is a ball park number.
8/10/2017 10:31 AM

D1A 3 MID MAJOR sims-$8k - $18k
D1A 1-2 MID MAJOR sims-$10k - $25k
D1A 3 BCS sim-$10k - $22k
D1A 1-2 BCS sims-$15k - $30k

Wow! That's a LOT cheaper than I thought it would be. I spend that on at least two recruits every season.
8/10/2017 12:54 PM
1. There are WAY TOO MANY recruits each year before recruiting even starts that are considering SIMS. So, for me recruiting a high level D1-AA team I have to be able to sign a couple guys each cycle that are considering D1 sim teams.
2. You usually knock off two SIMS the first time you invest money, then knock off the final SIM team the next cycle.
3. Save a couple schollies at D1-AA to seek out recruits after signings begin that were considering a human D1 team but will not be signed by them because the human team fulfilled their scholarships.
8/10/2017 2:26 PM
I agree with everything jayhawk said.
8/10/2017 9:19 PM

recruiting a high level D1-AA team I have to be able to sign a couple guys each cycle that are considering D1 sim teams.

I've won two titles and am playing for a third tonight at Hofstra in Camp. Never once signed a 1-A recruit.
It's not mandatory for everyone.
8/10/2017 9:43 PM (edited)
Posted by columbusbuck on 8/10/2017 9:43:00 PM (view original):

recruiting a high level D1-AA team I have to be able to sign a couple guys each cycle that are considering D1 sim teams.

I've won two titles and am playing for a third tonight at Hofstra in Camp. Never once signed a 1-A recruit.
It's not mandatory for everyone.
Right, that's why I said I HAVE TO.....to each their own. You have certainly enjoyed plenty of success doing it differently.
8/10/2017 10:11 PM
I understood that. But when BJ said he agreed, it started to read like everyone should. Just wanted to make clear it's completely optional.
8/10/2017 10:34 PM
Sorry for the confusion, cb. Not everyone HAS TO.
8/10/2017 11:06 PM
So, I tried recruiting players who had 1-A schools on them.
I was recruiting from two-time defending national champion, so my prestige was maximized. My reputation is A- and my loyalty is A+.
Went big early and often with every recruit. By the end of the fifth cycle (including the 24-hour 1st cycle), all actions had been performed.
Here are the results:

The Recruits I Lost

DB, 1,006 miles from my Campus
Accepted 14 Campus Visits ("CV").
Was Offered 22 CVs
Accepted Promised Freshman Start ("PFS") and Promised Playing Time ("PPT") of 30%.
I knocked off 2 non BCS mid major teams and was leading the third (La Lafayette) when human-coached Auburn jumped in three days after signings began and landed the recruit.

DL, 53 miles from my Campus
Accepted 13 CVs.
Was Offered 27 CVs
Accepted PFS and PPT of 30%.
I knocked off 2 non BCS mid major teams and was leading the third (Navy) for the first three days after signings began. At which point, without any notice that I had lost the lead, he signed with Navy.

The Recruits I Won (all four signed at 6am EST the day after signings began)

OL, 210 miles
Accepted 15 CVs
Was Offered 21 CVs
Accepted PFS and PPT of 30%
Fought one BCS team for him: DePaul

WR, 205 miles
Accepted 14 CVs
Was Offered 19 CVs
Accepted PPT of 30% and PFS.
Fought three mid majors for him, knocked off two and was leading the third (Toledo) when signings began.

OL, 189 miles
Accepted 14 CVs
Was Offered 21 CVs
Fought three mid majors for him and was leading the one left standing when signings began - North Texas.

DL, 157 miles
Accepted 15 CVs
Was Offered 21 CVs
Fought off three BCS teams for him and was leading the the third when signings began - Virginia.

So, with limited data, it seems that you need to get at least:
-14 Campus Visits Accepted (with PPT and PFS accepted as well).
-Probably at least 5 more CVs without the PPT and PFS.
-A high percentage of Attempted CVs accepted. Greater than 63.6%. Or risk losing him to human coached teams looking for a recruit late.

And it's best to minimize the number you pursue or risk getting stuck with a few walk-ons (I took five in a class of 12).
8/24/2017 7:49 PM (edited)

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.