D2 S134 Coach of the Year Nominees (Final) Topic

Thank you for those who submitted names of who you would consider for this honor. I think next season, I'll get an earlier jump on nominees around quarter-finals.

First, I think the Coach of the Year award should not be automatically awarded to those who win the most games. I think it should be something where we look at where the team was, what the expectation was and what they over came during the year. It may end up being that the NC team beat all odds and deserves it. It may also be the guy who lost but did something amazing.

So please keep an open mind when voting!

I narrowed it down to 3 nominees who received enough submits to stand out and are in no particular order -

Kwheeler - Winona State
  • Entered the season ranked #4 with Guess
  • His previous season, they lost the CC and were knocked out in the first round. The expectation was that they were a senior class heavy roster and had a real shot to make a run.
  • He did turn the ship around and beat W. Liberty State 23-21. He also beat NC Central x2 and Humboldt State 43-3 in the 2nd round. Winona left the playoffs with a defeat to Northern Michigan 31-17.
  • Overall, they improved from 13-2 (1st Round) to 16-1 (Quarterfinals) which was vital for this program's recruiting next season with a large class.

Waregl72 - Cheyney
  • Entered the season ranked #1 with Guess
  • That lost in the NC the previous year so the pressure was on them to win it all this year and they delivered.
  • They lost to Ferris State 21-14 in week 1, then beat North Alabama 59-12, Missouri_rolla 66-7, Shepherd 50-6, Saginaw Valley State 39-7. Virginia State 41-20, TAMC 28-14 and finally Northern Michigan 36-31.
  • Overall, they handled the pressure and went from NC loser, to NC winner beating one of the most revered programs for winning it all.

Linux_Box - Midwestern State
  • Entered the season ranked #13 Guess Rankings
  • After 4 straight seasons of 2nd round losses, Linux_Box finished in the quarterfinals last season. They also had a better team than this season. Outside the top ten rankings, the expectation was probably 2nd Round.
  • This year, they beat West Liberty State 38-6, Western New Mexico 23-6, Mesa State 44-21, North Alabama 37-23 and Valdosta State 20-13. Their loss was to Northern Michigan 34-10.
  • Overall, Linux_Box got farther into the playoffs with a down year for talent than he ever has in 10 seasons at Midwestern St.

Please send your votes by sitemail by Saturday the 12th.

Thank you all!

8/10/2017 3:25 AM (edited)
Great years by all 3 coaches and all 3 are well deserving but both winona and cheyney had the previous coaches upper classmen so my vote goes to Linux_box because he built the entire team and had a great run.
8/10/2017 10:01 AM
Thank you for so many votes already, that is fantastic! It's really close between two teams and going down to the wire. Please, if you have not voted, get them in before the day is over tomorrow (Saturday)
8/11/2017 11:07 PM
D2 S134 Coach of the Year Nominees (Final) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.