More Edgar HOF talk Topic

RP fall into the category that BL loves: You know when a guy is a HOFer.
8/22/2017 4:16 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 8/22/2017 2:16:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Jtpsops on 8/22/2017 1:30:00 PM (view original):
Posted by wylie715 on 8/19/2017 7:54:00 PM (view original):
as tec said, it is situational. If the score is 2 - 2, 2 outs, men on 1st and 3rd in the bottom of the 9th and Edgar is up, I'd much rather he swing at a hittable pitch than try to draw a walk. Unless it was Griffey Jr hitting behind him, the next batter was not as good a hitter as Edgar, and the odds are better EM gets a hit than anyone else.
If the score is 3 -0 in the bottom of the 9th, 2 outs and 1 man on, by all means walk. we need the baserunners.
Except tec doesn't apply his own standards equally. As I pointed out, Ted Williams walked at a higher rate than Edgar with RISP and two outs and RISP. So if Edgar's walks make him a poor situational hitter, by tec's own standards, he thinks Williams was a weak situational hitter.

Tec clearly said he wants his best hitters swinging the bat. I guarantee Ted was the best hitter on his team all but 1-2 years of his career.

And tec will throw up another smokescreen saying he didn't bring up Williams, but the standard he's applying to Edgar means Williams should have been a better hitter.
I'm really tryng to give you credit for being smarter and more sincere with your arguments than BL, but you're doing everything possible to prevent that from happening.

I asked a legitimate question that you refused to answer about Williams.

The Mariners lineup was stocked with great hitters over the years around Martinez . . . Junior, ARod, and even Buhner (not as great, but productive). I would assume that Martinez often had a decent hitter behind him offering lineup protection so that they couldn't just pitch around him to pitch to the next guy.

Who hit behind Williams to offer him lineup protection?

As I mentioned earlier, you can't just dump Williams into the conversation and then run away. Well, I guess you can if you can't support whatever argument you're trying to make, blpsops.
You really need to check with your mentor so you two can get on the same page. One says "Edgar should've swung more because he had ****** hitters behind him" and one says "Edgar should've swung more because he saw great pitches hitting in front of good hitters." You two should get on the same wavelength.

And who hit behind Williams is irrelevant. You clearly said you want your best hitters swinging the bat. It's not for me to be your research ***** because you can't defend your stupid statement.
8/22/2017 4:57 PM
OK, BLpsops. Clearly you don't understand baseball.

Great hitters who have no lineup protection will see much fewer good pitches than will those who do have lineup protection. And therefore will draw more walks.

Who had better lineup protection? Martinez or Williams?
8/22/2017 5:38 PM
Jesus, this is stupid. There are plenty of good arguments against Martinez - he was a DH, he had a relatively short career, he didn't hit any major milestones, etc. I think he's a hall of famer, but those arguments are reasonable.

"He walked too much" isn't.
8/22/2017 7:09 PM
I don't think anyone is saying he doesn't deserve to be in the HoF because he walked too much, except maybe Mike and I think he is saying that just to annoy you.
8/22/2017 7:26 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 8/22/2017 7:09:00 PM (view original):
Jesus, this is stupid. There are plenty of good arguments against Martinez - he was a DH, he had a relatively short career, he didn't hit any major milestones, etc. I think he's a hall of famer, but those arguments are reasonable.

"He walked too much" isn't.
Maybe if he took the bat off his shoulders more often, he would have hit some major milestones.
8/22/2017 8:48 PM
Posted by wylie715 on 8/22/2017 7:26:00 PM (view original):
I don't think anyone is saying he doesn't deserve to be in the HoF because he walked too much, except maybe Mike and I think he is saying that just to annoy you.
Tec is definitely saying that
8/22/2017 11:31 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 8/22/2017 5:38:00 PM (view original):

Great hitters who have no lineup protection will see much fewer good pitches than will those who do have lineup protection. And therefore will draw more walks.

According to your mentor, Williams did. Like I said, you should've confirmed your position with him first, like you do on everything else.
8/22/2017 11:32 PM
I'm not sure who "my mentor" is. And I haven't seen anything about lineup protection for Williams.

Seems like you've posted an indefensible argument, so now you're throwing up a smokescreen to distract from that fact.

Good job, BLpsops. Obi-Wan has taught you well.
8/23/2017 7:22 AM
Posted by Jtpsops on 8/22/2017 11:31:00 PM (view original):
Posted by wylie715 on 8/22/2017 7:26:00 PM (view original):
Tec is definitely saying that
where did tec say that? I've seen him say he didn't reach some milestones he may have if he swung the bat a bit more. I've seen him say he doesn't think he should be in because he didn't play defense, but I have not seen where he said "Martinez does not belong in the Hall of Fame because he walked too much. The only person I've seen say that is Mike and I think he mainly said it to **** BL off.
8/23/2017 12:48 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 8/22/2017 11:32:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 8/22/2017 5:38:00 PM (view original):

According to your mentor, Williams did. Like I said, you should've confirmed your position with him first, like you do on everything else.
lol so true
8/24/2017 10:52 AM
FYI, in MLB The Show 17, I just had a chance to either "buy" (using game generated credits) either Edgar Martinez or Catfish Hunter.

Sadly, it made me think of this thread.
8/29/2017 12:53 PM
Please say you bought Catfish if for no other reason to send BL on a posting "You're an idiot" frenzy.
8/29/2017 12:55 PM
Posted by toddcommish on 8/29/2017 12:53:00 PM (view original):
FYI, in MLB The Show 17, I just had a chance to either "buy" (using game generated credits) either Edgar Martinez or Catfish Hunter.

Sadly, it made me think of this thread.
I really just want the game for the Griffey cover like I did with Madden 25 and Barry Sanders.

Can you move your RTTS player into the new game like they did with last year's game? Cuz I'm in season 4 of my players year, broke DiMaggio's record, broke the Single season SB record, and I'm not boutta start all over again like when I had to switch from PS2 to PS3
8/29/2017 2:15 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 8/23/2017 7:22:00 AM (view original):
I'm not sure who "my mentor" is. And I haven't seen anything about lineup protection for Williams.

Seems like you've posted an indefensible argument, so now you're throwing up a smokescreen to distract from that fact.

Good job, BLpsops. Obi-Wan has taught you well.
Jimmie Foxx. Bobby Doerr. Joe Cronin. Dom Domaggio. Just a few of the names that hit behind Williams throughout his career...a bunch of ****** scrubs, right? Now, continue to tell us how he had no lineup protection and his walks are justifiable, while Edgar's hurt his team.

"But in general, as a rule, you want you best hitters actually, you know, "hitting". If there's a runner on second base, and you have a good hitter at the plate, let's say somebody of EM's caliber, then I want him swinging at hittable pitches rather that trying to work a walk."

That's your quote, in case you're misremembering your position. Which means you think Ted Williams wasn't a good situational hitter, since Edgar actually had a higher average and drew walks at a lower rate than Ted in the situations you mentioned.

Call your mentor so he can help you get your head out of your ***.
8/29/2017 2:20 PM (edited)
◂ Prev 1...9|10|11|12|13 Next ▸
More Edgar HOF talk Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.