2017 playoff eliminator Topic

I feel like we're going around in circles. You keep acting like you know exactly what you're talking about. You definitely do more research than me, but that's because I could care less what Memphis' schedule is 2023.

This is the thing though, you are not the utmost expert on college football. This was proven by you calling a post "utter nonsense" about the SEC still being the toughest conference. They got 2 teams in. Your beloved Big 10 got zero. Had you said "that's debatable" about that comment you could have kept some credibility with me, but.

Scheduling is tough. You think it's easy. Like Saban said in his interview after the selection show, "everyone knocked us for playing Mercer, but we couldn't find anyone else to play." He then went on to propose that P5 schools only be able to play other P5 schools. This is because, guess what, mid-tier P5's don't want to play Alabama. It's hard to find games.
12/10/2017 7:26 PM
You should amend that to "Alabama at Alabama". Bama wants that home game, and not a tough one, before the Iron Bowl. They're not going to Boston College the week before Auburn.
12/10/2017 7:44 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/10/2017 7:44:00 PM (view original):
You should amend that to "Alabama at Alabama". Bama wants that home game, and not a tough one, before the Iron Bowl. They're not going to Boston College the week before Auburn.
Yeah because all the other power 5 conferences play conference games the second to last week of the season.
12/10/2017 10:59 PM
Posted by strikeout26 on 12/10/2017 7:26:00 PM (view original):
I feel like we're going around in circles. You keep acting like you know exactly what you're talking about. You definitely do more research than me, but that's because I could care less what Memphis' schedule is 2023.

This is the thing though, you are not the utmost expert on college football. This was proven by you calling a post "utter nonsense" about the SEC still being the toughest conference. They got 2 teams in. Your beloved Big 10 got zero. Had you said "that's debatable" about that comment you could have kept some credibility with me, but.

Scheduling is tough. You think it's easy. Like Saban said in his interview after the selection show, "everyone knocked us for playing Mercer, but we couldn't find anyone else to play." He then went on to propose that P5 schools only be able to play other P5 schools. This is because, guess what, mid-tier P5's don't want to play Alabama. It's hard to find games.
The SEC isn't the best conference this year. The best conference doesn't fire half its coaches at the end of the season. It had 3 strong teams, which I've said all along, but that doesn't mean 4 to 14 are any good. For the record, I said weeks ago Bama woild make it in, I just didn't think they should as there is no way you can say Bama is unequivocally better than Ohio State based on their respective seasons.
12/10/2017 11:01 PM
My point was that it's fine that you feel that way, but to act like anyone who believes it is stupid makes you look less than intelligent. You have said all along that the Big 10 is the best conference. I disagree with you and think it's highly unlikely as they couldn't get a single team into the playoff, but I don't think you're stupid for believing that. The conferences are all very close this season. When you call a statement "utter nonsense" that is very possibly true you sound ridiculous.

Edit: I usually don't put much stock in meaningless bowl games, but since we have had the pleasure of these discussions I will concede that the SEC was not the best this year if they stink it up.
12/10/2017 11:30 PM (edited)
Posted by moranis on 12/10/2017 10:59:00 PM (view original):
Yeah because all the other power 5 conferences play conference games the second to last week of the season.
Saban has pushed for an extra conference game. Either way, I don't think playing only 8 games diminishes the conference at all.
12/10/2017 11:27 PM
Tell that to Clemson and SC.
12/11/2017 9:50 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/11/2017 9:50:00 AM (view original):
Pretty sure you can talk to Florida as well. Maybe Georgia(can't remember who they played).
12/11/2017 9:54 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/11/2017 9:54:00 AM (view original):
Pretty sure you can talk to Florida as well. Maybe Georgia(can't remember who they played).
That's the UGA/GA Tech weekend.
12/11/2017 10:09 AM
Those rivalry games are the last week of the season not the second to last week of the season. Though some of the ACC schools follows the SEC model - it is limited though as the vast majority of the ACC teams play a conference game the second to last week of the season.
12/11/2017 10:17 AM
Posted by strikeout26 on 12/10/2017 11:30:00 PM (view original):
My point was that it's fine that you feel that way, but to act like anyone who believes it is stupid makes you look less than intelligent. You have said all along that the Big 10 is the best conference. I disagree with you and think it's highly unlikely as they couldn't get a single team into the playoff, but I don't think you're stupid for believing that. The conferences are all very close this season. When you call a statement "utter nonsense" that is very possibly true you sound ridiculous.

Edit: I usually don't put much stock in meaningless bowl games, but since we have had the pleasure of these discussions I will concede that the SEC was not the best this year if they stink it up.
I put almost no stock in the vast majority of bowl games. Most of the teams have no real incentive to compete and often while they are supposed to be neutral, often aren't. I'm actually glad the Buckeyes aren't playing the Trojans in the Rose Bowl and the game is in Dallas. It is actually neutral, and I do actually think both of those teams will be up for the game, so I think it will be a pretty good gauge. But that is one of the few bowl games where that applies. Most of the bowls though, I don't think you can get a read on much of anything. I mean if UCF beats Auburn, I won't necessarily think that UCF is better than Auburn or that UCF would have belonged in the playoff.

If a whole conference totally flames out, that might be a bit telling, but that is about all I would actually read out of bowl games (aside from the playoff games and a couple of the actual bowls).
12/11/2017 10:25 AM
You're correct. UGA played Kentucky that week.
12/11/2017 10:26 AM
Posted by moranis on 12/11/2017 10:25:00 AM (view original):
Posted by strikeout26 on 12/10/2017 11:30:00 PM (view original):

I put almost no stock in the vast majority of bowl games. Most of the teams have no real incentive to compete and often while they are supposed to be neutral, often aren't. I'm actually glad the Buckeyes aren't playing the Trojans in the Rose Bowl and the game is in Dallas. It is actually neutral, and I do actually think both of those teams will be up for the game, so I think it will be a pretty good gauge. But that is one of the few bowl games where that applies. Most of the bowls though, I don't think you can get a read on much of anything. I mean if UCF beats Auburn, I won't necessarily think that UCF is better than Auburn or that UCF would have belonged in the playoff.

If a whole conference totally flames out, that might be a bit telling, but that is about all I would actually read out of bowl games (aside from the playoff games and a couple of the actual bowls).
I agree with you 100%, but that's the only thing somewhat objective that we have in a subjective debate.
12/11/2017 10:28 AM
Posted by moranis on 12/11/2017 10:18:00 AM (view original):
Those rivalry games are the last week of the season not the second to last week of the season. Though some of the ACC schools follows the SEC model - it is limited though as the vast majority of the ACC teams play a conference game the second to last week of the season.
Yes, and they all schedule cupcakes. Because they want an easy home game before the rivalry game. They do not want a tough game against some mid-level Power 5. Pay attention.
12/11/2017 11:01 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/11/2017 11:01:00 AM (view original):
Posted by moranis on 12/11/2017 10:18:00 AM (view original):
Yes, and they all schedule cupcakes. Because they want an easy home game before the rivalry game. They do not want a tough game against some mid-level Power 5. Pay attention.
There aren't any mid level power 5 teams they can play (there aren't many minor 5 teams available at that point either - so by setting up the schedule that way they are almost guaranteeing a game against a FCS opponent). that was my point. Those teams are all playing conference games (in part because 3 of the 5 power 5 conference play 9 conference games and in part because most conferences like to play all their conference games at the end of the season with the non-cons up front).
12/11/2017 11:09 AM
◂ Prev 1...30|31|32|33|34...46 Next ▸
2017 playoff eliminator Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.