2017 playoff eliminator Topic

Posted by all3 on 1/2/2018 10:46:00 AM (view original):
Even IF the SEC has the 2 best teams, it doesn't mean they are the best Conference. There really is nothing to support that claim. The Conference's other teams compiled a bad Bowl record (not the PAC12, but still bad), and played almost zero tough OOC games.
I was going to post something like this, but figured it wouldn't get much traction, but since you did here are the other bowl games for the SEC.

Wins
Mississippi St. over Louisville 31-27
South Carolina over Michigan 26-19 (in a huge choke job by Michigan)

Losses
Missouri to Texas 33-16
Kentucky to Northwestern 24-23
Texas A&M to Wake Forest 55-52
LSU to Notre Dame 21-17
Auburn to Central Florida 34-27

Thus even with the 2 wins in the playoff, the SEC still finished below .500 and if not for the Michigan meltdown would have had just 1 win outside of the top 2. If anything, the bowl season pretty much solidified that the SEC has 2 (or 3 if you count Auburn) great teams, but for the most part was incredibly mediocre. Especially when you consider the SEC wasn't exactly playing the whose who in the bowls. Outside of the playoffs and Central Florida (who is hard to judge), Northwestern and Notre Dame were probably the best opponents. Not exactly stellar performances by teams not named Georgia and Alabama.
1/2/2018 11:05 AM
Posted by moranis on 1/2/2018 11:05:00 AM (view original):
Even IF the SEC has the 2 best teams, it doesn't mean they are the best Conference. There really is nothing to support that claim. The Conference's other teams compiled a bad Bowl record (not the PAC12, but still bad), and played almost zero tough OOC games.
I was going to post something like this, but figured it wouldn't get much traction, but since you did here are the other bowl games for the SEC.

Wins

Losses
Missouri to Texas 33-16
LSU to Notre Dame 21-17

Thus even with the 2 wins in the playoff, the SEC still finished below .500 and if not for the Michigan meltdown would have had just 1 win outside of the top 2. If anything, the bowl season pretty much solidified that the SEC has 2 (or 3 if you count Auburn) great teams, but for the most part was incredibly mediocre. Especially when you consider the SEC wasn't exactly playing the whose who in the bowls. Outside of the playoffs and Central Florida (who is hard to judge), Northwestern and Notre Dame were probably the best opponents. Not exactly stellar performances by teams not named Georgia and Alabama.
This is utter nonsense. The SEC played 5 New Year's Day bowl games.

The SEC played against Michigan, Northwestern, Norte Dame, UCF, Oklahoma, and Clemson. All of the these are good teams. Sometimes I feel like you say stuff just to be a contrarian and don't actually think about what you're saying.
1/2/2018 11:22 AM (edited)
Some people have way too much fun arguing whose crap in their conference is better. Give your best and let's discuss those guys.

SEC 2 teams in the NC, Big 10 =0. I know it hurts.

You were wrong so many times this bowl season that you might want to reassess how you view college football.
1/2/2018 11:24 AM
Its funny that the only game win or lose that you (qualify) is the victory over a Big 10 school
1/2/2018 11:28 AM
That is very telling of the picture you hope to portray.
1/2/2018 11:29 AM
LOL. Michigan/SC doesn't count because Michigan had a meltdown but Auburn/LSU/KY games do count? Auburn throws a pick in the end zone late, ND gets one of the best catches, and a TD, I've seen all year and KY loses due to a missed two point conversion. I'll admit I don't recall TAMU/WF but, at 55-52, I bet something happened that could have changed that outcome.

So, in summation, Mizzou was the only one that lost outright.
1/2/2018 11:30 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/2/2018 11:31:00 AM (view original):
LOL. Michigan/SC doesn't count because Michigan had a meltdown but Auburn/LSU/KY games do count? Auburn throws a pick in the end zone late, ND gets one of the best catches, and a TD, I've seen all year and KY loses due to a missed two point conversion. I'll admit I don't recall TAMU/WF but, at 55-52, I bet something happened that could have changed that outcome.

So, in summation, Mizzou was the only one that lost outright.
I didn't say the game didn't count, I just said Michigan collapsed. One play here and there happens for both teams in every game. Not every team blows a 16 point lead with 18 minutes to go by basically committing 4, basically unforced, turnovers. Michigan collapsed like no other team in any bowl game this year. It was a complete and utter meltdown. They lost and South Carolina won, but it wasn't some great display of football from SC, which was the point I was making. Michigan was the superior team for 3 quarters before it threw the game away, literally. The ESPN headline on their main site for the game is Michigan melts down.
1/2/2018 12:32 PM
Did every team that gave up a lead late suffer a meltdown? What about late turnovers?

Or did SC suffer an early meltdown when Michigan was getting the turnovers?
1/2/2018 12:37 PM
Posted by strikeout26 on 1/2/2018 11:22:00 AM (view original):
Posted by moranis on 1/2/2018 11:05:00 AM (view original):

Wins

Losses
Missouri to Texas 33-16
LSU to Notre Dame 21-17

This is utter nonsense. The SEC played 5 New Year's Day bowl games.

The SEC played against Michigan, Northwestern, Norte Dame, UCF, Oklahoma, and Clemson. All of the these are good teams. Sometimes I feel like you say stuff just to be a contrarian and don't actually think about what you're saying.
The Big Ten had 3 New Years Six bowl games that weren't on New Years day. They won all 3 of them against comparable competition (champ v. champ, CC loser v. CC loser, 3 v. 3), so adding them to Northwestern and Michigan puts the conference at 4-1 in the New Years Day or New Years Six Bowl games.

The Big Ten was 7-1 overall, the SEC was 4-5 (5-6 after the title game). Outside of the top 2 teams, which I've never disputed were good, the SEC was 2-5. It was a mediocre conference on the whole this year, which is evident by half of the teams replacing their coach. You just don't do that if your conference is dominant.
1/2/2018 12:38 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/2/2018 12:37:00 PM (view original):
Did every team that gave up a lead late suffer a meltdown? What about late turnovers?

what other team blew a 16 point lead with 18 minutes left? Heck, how about 16 point lead with 20 or 25 minutes left? Did any other team close the game with its last 4 possessions resulting in turning the ball over (either on downs or an actual turnover)?

That is a pretty classic definition of a meltdown. If another team did that, they would have melted down also.
1/2/2018 12:41 PM
Posted by edsortails on 1/2/2018 11:28:00 AM (view original):
Its funny that the only game win or lose that you (qualify) is the victory over a Big 10 school
or maybe because that is the only game where there was a clear meltdown with a team giving a game away that it was firmly in control of. I didn't mention the playoff games, because that wasn't the nature of my post, though I don't see OU as having melted down (certainly not like Michigan did anyway), as Georgia just played very well in the 2nd half (though with a 14 point lead at the half you would have expected OU to close it out).
1/2/2018 12:45 PM
Posted by moranis on 1/2/2018 12:41:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/2/2018 12:37:00 PM (view original):

what other team blew a 16 point lead with 18 minutes left? Heck, how about 16 point lead with 20 or 25 minutes left? Did any other team close the game with its last 4 possessions resulting in turning the ball over (either on downs or an actual turnover)?

That is a pretty classic definition of a meltdown. If another team did that, they would have melted down also.
How did they build that lead? I recall SC muffing a punt deep in their territory. I also recall an inexplicable fumble on an option play. FWIW, SC had more total yards. Can't blame that on turnovers.
1/2/2018 12:50 PM
I love how you keep admittedly ignoring the playoff games. You can't ignore the two most important games played yet. I don't care what Purdue or Kentucky do, The goal for every P5 team is to win NC's, not to be the best 8-4 team around. The SEC has won a BUNCH of national championships.
1/2/2018 1:02 PM
Posted by strikeout26 on 1/2/2018 1:02:00 PM (view original):
I love how you keep admittedly ignoring the playoff games. You can't ignore the two most important games played yet. I don't care what Purdue or Kentucky do, The goal for every P5 team is to win NC's, not to be the best 8-4 team around. The SEC has won a BUNCH of national championships.
Alabama, Georgia, and Auburn all had nice seasons and are all great teams (or at least very good in the case of Auburn). The rest of the conference was mediocre at best. You can't claim your conference is great if it has 11 teams that are at best mediocre, even if the other 3 are all great teams.
1/2/2018 2:00 PM
Posted by moranis on 1/2/2018 2:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by strikeout26 on 1/2/2018 1:02:00 PM (view original):
Alabama, Georgia, and Auburn all had nice seasons and are all great teams (or at least very good in the case of Auburn). The rest of the conference was mediocre at best. You can't claim your conference is great if it has 11 teams that are at best mediocre, even if the other 3 are all great teams.
But I can. The goal is to win national titles. The SEC has won 8 since 2006 by 4 different teams. This year will make #9 and potentially a 5th team in the mix. That's a great conference.
1/2/2018 3:07 PM
◂ Prev 1...41|42|43|44|45|46 Next ▸
2017 playoff eliminator Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.