Recruiting etiquette Topic

I have heard a lot about coaches sitemailing each other during the recruiting phases. Before I start doing the same, I want to know exactly what IS and IS NOT okay to discuss with other coaches. My situation is I see one other upper level coach on the considering list of a player that I am interested in. Looking at the players stats, he doesn't appear to be of the caliber that this coach recruits and no scholly has been offered. Would I be violating any rules by asking him his intentions on the player?

8/15/2017 11:32 AM
I was told you should never sitemail another coach during recruiting. And, yes, I know you saw me post that another user at a higher level sitemailed me. I did sitemail him back to ask if he saw the player as D2 caliber. My intention wasn't to sway his thinking, he'd already offered scholarship, but to gain insight on game/ratings..

All I found is he ran out of scouting money, got bumped by D1s on his priorities and my dude was the best he could get.
8/15/2017 11:35 AM
you aren't the only one. I've seen others as well. I just curious because I can see reasons why it would be okay and why it would be banned as well.
8/15/2017 11:41 AM
Sounds like collusion to me zags.
8/15/2017 11:53 AM
I was told, because I was at D2 about to take over a player D3 was on, that it shouldn't be done because you're setting a precedent. Will you contact everyone? Or, by telling the lower level your intentions, you were giving him an advantage over every D3 that WON'T hear from higher levels.

Conversely, by asking a higher level if they intended to pursue, you could be gaining an advantage if YOUR guy responds to you but ignores the other guy asking the same question.
8/15/2017 11:55 AM
Yeah, I would say site mailing to find out intentions is a no-no. The only mails I've sent were after-the-fact in order to find out what effort and when went into players so I can figure out how I misjudged battles and the like. And I generally try to wait until one/both of us have wrapped up our classes before sending them in order to make clear that neither of us is going to gain/lose anything by sharing the information at that stage.

8/15/2017 12:15 PM
Sitemails about recruiting should not occur during recruiting. Have your conversations afterwards.
8/15/2017 12:22 PM
I think the best practice is to sitemail only afterwards to compare notes. During recruiting, could be misunderstood by the recipient or others as collusive.
8/15/2017 12:35 PM
gotchya! Glad I went to the forum first. Thanks for your help guys
8/15/2017 12:43 PM
I always lie when people send me smails asking what my intentions are. If I am bored I will respond back with a five paragraph essay with horrible analysis.
8/15/2017 3:20 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 8/15/2017 3:20:00 PM (view original):
I always lie when people send me smails asking what my intentions are. If I am bored I will respond back with a five paragraph essay with horrible analysis.
Congratulations! You now qualify for a job with ESPN.
8/15/2017 3:40 PM
I've sitemailed during recruiting one time and it was because I got bumped from very high to moderate when I went all in. I waited to sitemail until I rescinded my scholarship and it showed in the battle that I was no longer offering a scholarship to make sure no collusion was assumed. First sentence I told the coach is I've pulled off the recruit and rescinded and then asked him how he bumped me off the recruit when I was all in with good preferences. we had a solid discussion, I believe in certain cases its okay to sitemail during recruiting if its done properly however in most cases coaches intentions are not clear nor are they genuine.

edit : I would say in your case that I would not sitemail during recruiting as you are actively engaged in the target. Once he signs I believe talking about what happened would be perfectly fine. In my case I was no longer actively engaged and it showed for the other coach to see.
8/15/2017 4:29 PM
keep in mind, telling someone that you have pulled the schollie is giving whoever you tell that info important info about your intentions - that others dont know
8/15/2017 4:38 PM
Posted by hypnotoad on 8/15/2017 3:40:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Trentonjoe on 8/15/2017 3:20:00 PM (view original):
Congratulations! You now qualify for a job with ESPN.
LOL
8/15/2017 4:42 PM
Posted by fd343ny on 8/15/2017 4:38:00 PM (view original):
keep in mind, telling someone that you have pulled the schollie is giving whoever you tell that info important info about your intentions - that others dont know
But if he waited until it showed, it would not have because all users involved in the battle would have seen the scholarship offer line change from Yes to No (and the accompanying crash of interest level for withdrawing a scholarship offer"
8/15/2017 5:49 PM
12 Next ▸
Recruiting etiquette Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.