Statues - The real thread Topic

I've always thought of them as historical references. I guess they are also monuments but, unless there's some shining praise inscribed, they seem like historical reference. And, of course, when Saddam put one of himself on every street corner, it's a monument.

To be honest, I don't know what statue caused all the problems in VA. Or which ones are being pulled down illegally or taken down under the cover of darkness by city/state.

But how in the hell does W.T. Sherman have a statue if they're monuments? That bastard was a terrible human that destroyed millions of dollars of property and killed women/children.
8/17/2017 9:53 AM
The 2nd part is let's say all confederate statues come down. Do we keep confederate artifacts in museums? Won't they still be as offensive in a museum?

And screw Sherman. If those goddam white supremacists want to "counter-protest", tear that bastard's statue down.
8/17/2017 9:55 AM
8/17/2017 10:00 AM
8/17/2017 10:01 AM
I took a class on historical monuments in college. It was pretty interesting learning about the significance and impact it has (or had) on the culture. We talked quite a bit on the 'southern' monuments that are gaining a lot of press these days.

For the final we had to present on any monument we wanted. I chose the Basketball Shot Clock monument located in Syracuse. Safe and not too controversial.
8/17/2017 10:09 AM
8/17/2017 10:14 AM
I'm guessing they held more significance in yesteryear than they do now. I don't have to go to DC to see the Lincoln Memorial today. It's right there on the internet. I can even flip it off. But, if I wanted to spit on it, I'd have to travel.

It seems to me, considering recent events, that statues are something to protest/counter-protest and not much else. The ones that are being pulled down are probably being pulled down by people who have walked past them for years. Suddenly, they're outraged and that damn statue cannot stand.
8/17/2017 12:04 PM
8/17/2017 12:14 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/17/2017 9:55:00 AM (view original):
The 2nd part is let's say all confederate statues come down. Do we keep confederate artifacts in museums? Won't they still be as offensive in a museum?

And screw Sherman. If those goddam white supremacists want to "counter-protest", tear that bastard's statue down.
They belong in museums because they are part of history. They don't belong as monuments because they should not be honored.
8/17/2017 12:17 PM
So you're of the belief that they are monuments honoring the individual?

Sherman shouldn't have a statue in that case.
8/17/2017 12:42 PM (edited)
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/17/2017 12:42:00 PM (view original):

So, monuments should only be STANDING if the person was "good"? What if they were considered "good" at the time, but later were found to be harboring child molesters (i.e. Joe Paterno)?
8/17/2017 12:44 PM

Sure, I don't have a problem with that.
8/17/2017 12:46 PM
Posted by toddcommish on 8/17/2017 12:44:00 PM (view original):

So, monuments should only be STANDING if the person was "good"? What if they were considered "good" at the time, but later were found to be harboring child molesters (i.e. Joe Paterno)?
Yeah, Penn St probably shouldn't have a monument for Paterno.
8/17/2017 12:47 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 8/17/2017 12:46:00 PM (view original):

Sure, I don't have a problem with that.
Well, ****, there's no argument to be had.
8/17/2017 1:18 PM
8/17/2017 1:38 PM
123 Next ▸
Statues - The real thread Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.