WhatIfSports has new ownership - SportsHub Topic

Posted by seble on 8/18/2017 7:50:00 PM (view original):
As part of the sale, I've taken over management of the site. For those who aren't familiar with me, I've been a part of WIS since the beginning, nearly 18 years now. Over that time, I've worked in some capacity on pretty much every part of the site. My main focus for a long period of time was been Hoops Dynasty, and SimLeague Basketball before that.

I'm really excited about the opportunity that SportsHub has given me, and I promise to work as hard as I can to improve WIS. Over the next few months, we'll be focusing on transitioning the site fully to SportsHub on the technical side of things. During that time, you won't see too many changes, so it should be business as usual. Once the transition is complete, we'll begin mapping out ways to better integrate with the SportsHub network in ways that make sense. We'll also start gathering feedback and planning out ways to improve the games.

For right now, I'll be pretty much a one-man show, with some help on the support side. That will be a temporary situation though, as we'll be expanding our staff down the road. In the meantime, I ask for some patience when it comes to dealing with any site issues and in responding to support tickets.

Feel free to post comments/questions in this thread and I'll do my best to address them over the next few days.

Thanks,
Scott
NHL is the one that needs help. We have very few left who are playing it. Hope you are a fan. THANK you for creating this thread. It is a breath of fresh air as we haven't heard from management in almost a decade.. so it seems. NEVER EVER have PI on in the open leagues. Even beginners hate it
9/1/2017 4:30 AM
seble The fact that you are even talking to us is a good indication. For years we never got a peep out of FOX. I thihk they just bailed out for previous owner and used it as a tax writeoff.

Two guys who know NHL sim hockey better than anyone else are Chuckinrlp, and Jakyll, aka frightnite. I have been here for a dirty dozen plus years, but they are the guys who can best tell you what we want in sim hockey

Two things I have been bugging them for are an edit button for the league forums (Even a delete button) and the other is to eventually take a look at why so often a top 4 team gets ousted by a team that was 6 or 7 in the conference with a lot of points differential. It does happen in real life, but not as often as here (or as to me, lol)

I also have nagged them to up the maxi cap to 200 million, and the lower one to a hundred mill.. This way, the league Commissioner can lower the cap to say 120m just by sending you a ticket. IF the owner commish has to pull his team after a cap bump; two things happen: He loses his blacklist, and anyone can draft anyone.. and the other is the old hassle that the roster gets scrambled if you pull your team for an edit. The latter problem is one we can live with for a while

You have your hands full.. and I think most of us realize that it will still take time for new members to come on board

Welcome back, aboard.. and thank you for this thread

-BlueBladeAce, Lostnfound74 and former Highstyx5
9/1/2017 4:50 AM
LOL I just wasted 5 minutes trying to get a site mail to you.
9/1/2017 4:58 AM
you want this i want that ever one wants something

what i want is progressives support for sim league baseball

it is a lot of work to run a league, commissioner gets a free team thanks, but it is way more work than $10

if you could just keep track of who owned which players the previous season, who they cut and who they kept

if you could just keep track of which players are available to be drafted and which have already been drafted

it's much, but it's not asking you to run the draft

just be a good record keeper
9/1/2017 5:52 AM (edited)
heh

6000+ views in two weeks!

unleash the kraken
9/1/2017 5:31 AM
Posted by szczubelek on 8/29/2017 8:53:00 PM (view original):
What about fixing sim live baseball . The java issue is causing players to leave. Please address this!
yes big issue, lost alot of long time users
9/1/2017 7:42 PM
Whatever you do... don't get rid of our nice, big, data-rich drafting and reporting screens for the sake of smartphones!

And please keep that great, legible and downright pretty little font for those rosters, results, and stats.
9/3/2017 4:55 PM
Posted by verynice on 9/1/2017 7:42:00 PM (view original):
What about fixing sim live baseball . The java issue is causing players to leave. Please address this!
I know you just took over but would appreciate a response to fixing live play. Many players who play live also do the regular sim baseball. If live is not addressed you will lose some die hard customers
9/3/2017 8:17 PM
Posted by szczubelek on 9/3/2017 8:17:00 PM (view original):
Posted by verynice on 9/1/2017 7:42:00 PM (view original):
I know you just took over but would appreciate a response to fixing live play. Many players who play live also do the regular sim baseball. If live is not addressed you will lose some die hard customers
I would like to see live play standard with giving users the option to opt out if they just want to read box scores. I've never played live and would love to try it out!!
9/4/2017 3:05 AM
Truly hope this signals hope for a bright WIS future. On a couple message boards that I post in we used to host at least one, often two baseball seasons a year... when Live became way antiquated it dropped off. When SimLive died, so did did the interest of half our league, all who had become repeat customers. If the engine can be tweaked, and Live brought back from the dead (who cares about graphics or bells and whistles, the old crappy Live was still awesome, until it would no longer run at all), I know a couple dozen users, at least, that would jump back into the fold.

Best of luck and PLEASE, keep the communication flowing.
9/5/2017 3:29 PM
finally ownership that listens and will take action for live users
thank you
9/5/2017 3:58 PM
This is already more than Fox did for any of the games:

seble
Site Staff
Add Favorite
As most of you know, WhatIfSports recently changed ownership. As part of that transition, we'll be transferring the games to a new environment. Due to the seriously outdated technology that the SimLeague Baseball Live is built in, it won't survive that transfer. The plan is to eventually rebuild it in new technology and re-introduce it to the SimLeague Baseball game.

What this means is that at some point in the next few months, Live will go offline. I'm not sure yet when that will happen. In preparation, I've disabled Live-related settings for theme leagues. Until the actual shutdown, leagues are free to continue using it.

I apologize for any inconvenience this causes, and we'll work with commissioners to make this transition as smooth as possible.

Thanks,
Scott
9/5/2017 5:41 PM
I didn't play the money leagues because for several years, the old regime stopped taking money orders. I finally broke down and got the Visa Debit card. . . . but they probably lost $6-700 dollars because of their stupidity, and desire to put as much distance between themselves and the members as possible. and.. if there are a hundred more like me in that situation, well over 7 years maybe their loss is like $80,000

Hope HUB fires the floaters
9/6/2017 5:56 PM
Posted by ArlenWilliam on 8/30/2017 12:43:00 AM (view original):
Seble,

Congratulations.

About five? years ago, we were given the impression that SLB and HBD were written in a legacy language and/or DBMS. Will any engine adjustments require a big conversion to a new system? Or, was that just an excuse for not refining and readjusting?

Depending on your answer, frankly, I see a two major, very demonstrable, and crying needs in SLB (and I'm down to SLB since piling ludicrous sim dollars onto international and domestic free agents became the HBD "loophole" and it got so that it all played out a bit too predictably, at least for me). In fact, you may have read my crying about them in threads. One should be very simple to solve and the other, more of a challenge.

I would be eager to give you free consultation about this... when the time comes... and I suggest if possible JohnGPF, too, albeit, he may be much pickier. ;-`
Also, this is really critical for faithful customer service. Please do a better job of alerting your SLB customers about the danger of in-game pitching fatigue, plus the method of determining acceptable pitch counts, alternatively, change pitching fatigue, perhaps based simply upon innings pitched per game. (IOW, we shouldn't have to dig and dig, to find this.)

And above, the simple issue I spoke of is the need to eliminate the artificial "10% boost to hitting" inflicted on us as a stop-gap measure long before pitcher salaries were adjusted by market-driven salaries. The more complex but crying issue is to get rid of the magic dead-ball pitching advantage of eliminating home runs when facing non-dead-ball era batters. (That, unless you make it adamant and clearly known in your model that players' era-based gear including baseballs, bats, (and gloves) are determined by the players taking the field. And even then, it should be less difficult for current power hitters to hit home runs off dead-ball pitchers.)
9/7/2017 1:57 PM (edited)
I've been playing games on here on and off since 05-06 timeframe. Gd has always been my priority on here and after the tp controversy I decided that I. would no longer pay a company for a service that they would not invest in, or maintain the same rules and standards for all users. I remain skeptical that this move will produce the results I expect. However I would be open to trying to get back into some games depending on how things progress.

The fact that you are communicating with the community is a step in the right direction. I know you have a lot on your plate but have you thought about doing some developers chats when the time comes. Just kind of something to let users know what to expect in the future for their individual games and ask questions about the direction of said games.
9/10/2017 2:28 PM
◂ Prev 1...7|8|9|10|11...14 Next ▸
WhatIfSports has new ownership - SportsHub Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.