Running 3 tandems or 4? Topic

What is the general consensus on optimal number of tandems to run? I have 6 legit starters so I could theoretically run 3 tandems, but not sure if running guys out there for ~50 pitches at a time will be the most optimal, since that could get only 2-3 innings a pop. Will 50 pitches be too much?
8/19/2017 10:01 AM
Honestly if you have 6 starters then deal some of them. Most worlds are dying for decent starters.
8/19/2017 8:15 PM
I can usually get away with running 3 pairs (~60 pitch max each) rotating a fourth pair every other cycle. And that's with half my tandems having aprox 25/60 DUR/STA. It's a pain in the but to manage though.
8/20/2017 7:13 AM
@sjpoker, I'm not getting a good enough return in trade offers

@brianplath, do you feel that you get as many innings or more out of your guys this way? On top of that, I like being able to mismatch lineups. Running RH/LH tandems essentially gives you that advantage over half of the innings your tandems pitch
8/21/2017 8:57 AM
If you're going to run tandems, you need to get 7 innings combined, preferably 8. Your bullpen will be short so you don't want them throwing 3-4 innings. You probably should drop pull to 1 and set PC at 55/60. At 15 pitches per inning, you're getting 4 from each guy except for the bad outing. Hopefully you get 3 from a guy in that case.

If you don't have 6 guys who can handle 60 pitches every 4th game, you're probably not tandem-ready. If you're forced to go 4 tandems in order to make it happen, you need one of those 70 Dur/40 Stm pitchers in the pen. Otherwise, you're going to end up carrying 13-14 pitchers and that's inefficient.
8/21/2017 9:26 AM
Yeah I run all rh/lh combos and it makes those lefties really shine. I've got no choice since i've got 8 good/serviceable starters and almost no RP's. It's essentially 8 guys with a mop up and a so-so RP so I need the tandems going the entire game. But like I said, it's a hassle playing musical chairs when it gets thrown out of whack.
8/21/2017 11:35 AM
just use your 4 best starters in a 4-man rotation and just use the other 2 as LRA or setup
8/21/2017 11:45 AM
Running 3 tandems or 4? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.