Welcome our new overlords Topic

ICYMI - https://www.whatifsports.com/f orums/Posts.aspx?topicID=50378 0

http://sportshubtech.com/

8/20/2017 9:38 AM
Maybe we'll finally get WHA players and Puck Dynasty. I started playing right before Fox's reign of error began. Remember posting a theme league concept and it filling within a day. Hopefully the new overlords do not jack the prices up.
8/21/2017 1:05 AM
Posted by hulce on 8/21/2017 1:05:00 AM (view original):
Maybe we'll finally get WHA players and Puck Dynasty. I started playing right before Fox's reign of error began. Remember posting a theme league concept and it filling within a day. Hopefully the new overlords do not jack the prices up.
Holy KrapppFox... The continually empty, un-fulfilled,
promises 4 those World Hockey Association skaters,
have kept me impatiently waiting since 2000...

Am still just as impatient... However, there just ain't
any other choice...

Thanx 4 the reminder... Dang, ---gotta' love it here...

8/21/2017 1:54 AM
I would like to use this thread, momentarily, to expose & expand an idea here which should stimulate thought for a future database of sports fantasy.

In that the premise of having fantasy players (minor-leaguers) alongside the known sports figures who have graced our lives, have added another aspect of the games we all play here. This minor-league data base (site-wide) is one which is obviously (and very well) contrived and configued, and works well as time has past by here. The concept is this:

If well-thought out numbers have been established to create fantasy players at the varying minor league levels, then similar principals should also apply to doing the same with the statistical numbers of real-life sports figures. Some examples that can be made mention of in this thread, would be as follows:

As a kid, we could never get enough of Strat-O-Matic & APBA. All we really needed, was the dice, & a very expensive new technology known as the hand held battery operated calculator. With these basics, we created a satisfying alternative. Whatever the sport, it is portrayed as this:

Those minds here @ What-If can enter individual "season-high's" in ALL categories of seasonal performance, and create one lone All Time All-Star Hall Of Famer, just as they do to create one lone minor leaguer, with the capacity to change the name of the minor leaguer. Imagine this:

A great skater like WGretzky, as one lone individual, can have all of his season high numbers contained therein. His highest goals-per-game of 1.18, and his highest assist totals per game of 2.04. His 'D' rating of 81, and his highest single season shot totals and shooting percentage can be available in one lone choice amongst an All Time, "cream-of-the-crop" data-base of say 100 total centers (exclusively) of all the NHL centers who have graced this good game. Much in the way a minor leaguer has been created already.

This same principal can also be applied to HAaron, and his career high batting average of .355, paired with his career high of 47 homeruns. Other baseballers of superior performances would be likewise added, and would be free to play ANY position that they played in real life, without normal defensive liabilities that vary from season to season, and is normally effected by the teamates he had alongside him in those seasons, nor any susceptibility to injuries, which again would ruin the whole fantasy concept. Whether as an outfielder, first baseman, or a designated hitter, HAaron could play an entire season, with a limited roster of other superstars, for those here who pay their good monies to this site.

All of the best of WChamberlain in a single player, with that same namesake. Naturally, this would require somewhat of a "think-tank" among the good folks in Cincinnati, as well as many of the veterans at this site. Again as a kid, the Strat-O-Matic worked with 3 dice. However, the possibilities for refinement of this concept increase exponentially when you add a 4th die to the throw. Creating new concepts around familar players, can also be an interesting basis for Theme-Created commisioners, and may indeed one day become a "norm" at this site, in the future.

Granted, this is only a seed. However, it is submitted in the spirit of this thread, and it is hoped that others here, especially the veterans of this site, would add to the "fodder" of posted contributions. This post is placed humbly, and in the forums of the other major sports here. Please comment, and thank you all, very much, for reading.
3/1/2009 12:06 PM
8/24/2017 1:22 AM

Status of WHA Players (October) Topic

mwelch

Hall of Famer
Add Favorite

Block User
I know it's been a while since I've posted an update on this, so I just wanted to let you all know where we stand. As you all know, our simulation engine is mathematically driven. The more stats we have the better. Unfortunately, a lot of stats for the WHA players are not available, therefore we have to estimate them to make them compatible with the simulator. Making sure this is done correctly is critical to insuring that they perform as accurately as possible. We no longer employ a full-time statistician, so I'm having to learn all of this on my own. I'll fully admit that I am more of an engineer than a mathematician, so this is taking longer than I hoped. Also, I've been recently called on as lead developer for two demanding projects for our parent site, foxsports.com. As of now, I am scheduled to wrap up on these by the end of this month. Then I should have at least some time to get back into the WHA players. I'll post another update when the time approaches. Thanks for the continued support and patience!

10/4/2010 2:14 PM
8/24/2017 2:17 AM
Welcome our new overlords Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.