Switching formations Topic

I'm curious to hear other coaches opinions on making a smooth transition to a new formation. I'm thinking of switching my I-Formation teams to NDBox. On the established teams (final four type) , whats the best way to do this without losing too much ground for my hunt to win? Did you abandon the old formation, split it and build slowly with less effort on both or?

8/20/2017 11:09 AM
I think the way to go is to practice the NDB along with IFO but majority of your time is on the NDB. second season only practice NDB but only run it against sims, then third year completely switch to NDB
8/20/2017 11:20 AM
I dont agree. If you are a team that can compete at the top or close than you dont want to lose Any game you dont need to because you might lose vision.
My way calls for patience but it is probably the way to not lose games because of low form iq.
Practice the new and old one equally but in game ONLY use the old one (since that is where your formation iq is). After 3 seasons of practicing the new one , you can drop the old one. Or you can keep them both if you plan on using them both.
I have been successful with ND but I have been successful with every formation except WB. I have been thinking about going to I or pro "from" ND . My point is not to blow my own horn but to point out that if you are a successful coach you will be so with just about Any formation. You "do" have to learn the nuances of each formation but hey, this isn't rocket science.
8/20/2017 12:29 PM (edited)
I would prefer to ease into the new formation by practicing it until my starting QB will have a formation IQ of at least 70. Practice and use the old formation until your new formation is implemented.

However --- I did it the hard way on my Oklahoma team in Wilkinson. I was stuck in NDB and 4-4/Nickel and I wanted to go to Pro Set/3-4. I looked at my roster and liked my Fr and So class so I changed immediately and basically surrendered the season. I practiced 20+ minutes on the new formations, played my young guys a lot, and by the time my Fr were Sr we went undefeated, won the CC and Rose Bowl.

One coach to observe is Ebel. I've watched him take over a few teams and make the current offensive formation work while he practices his shotgun. He has done some pretty good transitions to shotgun.
8/20/2017 1:21 PM
I have done the same thing in the past. Train ND Box but play I form the 1st season. Then switch over in the 2nd season.
8/20/2017 2:05 PM
Great advice, thank you for the ideas!
8/20/2017 2:41 PM
Switching formations Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.