Rights as Americans Topic

The announcer was given the choice to change assignments if he wanted. He chose to. He's doing a different game. Dumb all the way around but your post is #fakenews.
8/23/2017 1:06 PM
From the NYT:

ESPN Pulls Announcer Robert Lee From Virginia Game Because of His Name

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/23/business/media/robert-lee-university-virginia-charlottesville.html?mcubz=3
8/23/2017 1:29 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/23/2017 10:39:00 AM (view original):
The way it's phrased is meant to lead you to believe people AGREE with neo-nazi views. Which was dino's ill-fated attempt to claim 15% of white America is white supremacist. That's not the case. 9% understood the question. And the question, which was meant to mislead probably went something like "Is it acceptable to have WS views?" It's distasteful, it's wrong but, in America, it is acceptable. Because we have the freedom in America to be wrong.
I think you're splitting hairs here.

I don't think the intent of the poll was to trick anybody . . . the question in question can and probably should be taken at face value . . . is it OK to be a white supremacist? Most people would interpret that question within the context of social morality, which is most likely how it was intended to be interpreted (in which case the answer is clearly "no"). I would guess that very, very few of the 9% who answered yes were thinking in terms of "Well, yes, it's legally allowed by the US Constitution, even though I don't personally hold those views". Most of those 9% were likely those folks who hate all the wrong-skinned people in their communities.
8/23/2017 1:59 PM
So if you read the article you saw hes still working a game and it was a decision made collectively by him? Dumb but you didnt represent it correctly. #fakenews
8/23/2017 2:05 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 8/23/2017 1:59:00 PM (view original):
The way it's phrased is meant to lead you to believe people AGREE with neo-nazi views. Which was dino's ill-fated attempt to claim 15% of white America is white supremacist. That's not the case. 9% understood the question. And the question, which was meant to mislead probably went something like "Is it acceptable to have WS views?" It's distasteful, it's wrong but, in America, it is acceptable. Because we have the freedom in America to be wrong.

I don't think the intent of the poll was to trick anybody . . . the question in question can and probably should be taken at face value . . . is it OK to be a white supremacist? Most people would interpret that question within the context of social morality, which is most likely how it was intended to be interpreted (in which case the answer is clearly "no"). I would guess that very, very few of the 9% who answered yes were thinking in terms of "Well, yes, it's legally allowed by the US Constitution, even though I don't personally hold those views". Most of those 9% were likely those folks who hate all the wrong-skinned people in their communities.
I think that's what the pollster would like you to believe or what they wanted to convey. I don't think there's any way on earth that 1 in 11 people in the US want to kill black people(or Jews), burn their houses and castrate their children so they can't breed "more of them." No way. I have a reasonably large social circle of varied social/financial standing, I'm quite white and I don't know anyone who shares that view.

Do you think it's possible that 1 in 10 people you pass on the street(because you're #11) think it's OK to kill blacks/Jews?
8/23/2017 2:25 PM
Easily
8/23/2017 2:30 PM
Wow......... what street do you live on??? and where??? South Africa?
8/23/2017 3:04 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by The Taint on 8/23/2017 2:05:00 PM (view original):
So if you read the article you saw hes still working a game and it was a decision made collectively by him? Dumb but you didnt represent it correctly. #fakenews
He did or did ESPN management push him toward that decision. Sometimes you have to form your own opinions of logic.
8/23/2017 3:42 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/23/2017 2:25:00 PM (view original):

I think that's what the pollster would like you to believe or what they wanted to convey. I don't think there's any way on earth that 1 in 11 people in the US want to kill black people(or Jews), burn their houses and castrate their children so they can't breed "more of them." No way. I have a reasonably large social circle of varied social/financial standing, I'm quite white and I don't know anyone who shares that view.

Do you think it's possible that 1 in 10 people you pass on the street(because you're #11) think it's OK to kill blacks/Jews?
Depends on where the polls were done, and how anonymous they were.

It's possible for some folks to believe in white superiority at some level without going to the extremes of advocating killing, burning and/or castrating.
8/23/2017 3:49 PM
For ESPN to even consider benching an Asian announcer because of his name is lunacy. Do you really believe any action is necessary or justified? That people are so sensitive to someone's name? Had he been named ichiro Hitler at birth, he can't be in the public eye?

Do people really need such coddling? In such a need for a safe space?

News flash...most fair minded people don't care what his name is. Merit matters, not if someone might wet themselves over his birth name...grow a pair.
8/23/2017 3:57 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 8/23/2017 3:49:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/23/2017 2:25:00 PM (view original):

Depends on where the polls were done, and how anonymous they were.

It's possible for some folks to believe in white superiority at some level without going to the extremes of advocating killing, burning and/or castrating.
White Supremacists are 100% certain that blacks/Jews are less than human. "The only good Jew is a dead Jew" sort of thing.

So, really, you think 1 in 11 Americans feel that way? Because I feel a lot more confident that most of that 9% understood the question to be about the freedom we have as Americans.
8/23/2017 4:10 PM
Yup, it was dumb. Almost as dumb as offering Sheriff Joe a pardon after being accused of being a racist.
8/23/2017 4:10 PM
"News flash...most fair minded people don't care what his name is. Merit matters, not if someone might wet themselves over his birth name...grow a pair."

Damn right Doc! Was just as correct and "on the money" when all those dumbasses were making much ado over the name Barack Hussein Obama don't you think?
8/23/2017 4:31 PM
Posted by laramiebob on 8/23/2017 4:31:00 PM (view original):
"News flash...most fair minded people don't care what his name is. Merit matters, not if someone might wet themselves over his birth name...grow a pair."

Damn right Doc! Was just as correct and "on the money" when all those dumbasses were making much ado over the name Barack Hussein Obama don't you think?
laramiebob is correct here. I remember it like it was yesterday. We used his correct full name and the DemoNazis went APE ****!

Told us to shut up and we were disrespectful and YOU CAN'T SAY HUSSEIN because.....I guess they're Islamophobic.

He's right. The libs are dumbasses.
8/23/2017 5:24 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...7 Next ▸
Rights as Americans Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.