Long Fix List - Attention New Owner Topic

I have a quick fix list, now for the long fix list. These are aspirations, so probably my title of "fix" is not that accurate. Either way, here are things I would like to see changed:

1. Length of Recruiting - Reduce the recruiting period by a couple of days.

2. Transfers - Put in place a transfer program, such that a player with certain attributes (you can take these from the scouting reports) is likely to transfer to a lower division if they do not get X (insert playing time, starts or so forth).

3. Transfer Recruit Period - This is a period after the end of the season, but prior to the new season. This is a "recruiting process" similar to the recruiting process you already have in place, but only for the "transfer pool". This will give coaches that are done with their season something to do.

NOTE: The concept comes from the great Wilk coaches in our chat sessions. Not my original idea, but I love it.

4. Expanded rosters - If you put injuries back in, please increase rosters by 4 (or some other number that makes sense).

5. Fumbles vs. Int - Too few Int's and too many fumbles IMO. If you have a QB with a certain GI with an FIQ above 70, you are never going to toss an INT. That seems not very realistic.

6. Better PBP - I am not a fan of full transparency. However, I do want information from which I can understand the system better. This can be accomplished through the PBP.

7. "Release Green Recruit" - There are situations where it is obvious that a coach has multiple "green recruits" and has no interest in them. At the coaches election, he should be able to "withdraw" from the recruiting process and push that recruit back in the pool. Since this is a coaching option, I do not see a downside and I think should be an easy thing to implement.

8. Re-alignment - The current conferences are not as accurate as I would like. That may be on purpose. If not, it would make for more enjoyment if the conferences were more accurate.

9. College Playoff - Match the 4 team playoff at 1A.

10. Elites - Put in place a process by which a BCS team can become elite and an elite team can become non-elite. If this is truly a "dynasty" game, I would think some coaches would find it challenging to take a team and turn them into an elite team over a considerable period of time.

Thanks for reading.

nitros (James)
8/23/2017 11:54 AM
I've always wanted to be able to redshirt more than 3 players. I'd love to be able to have a roster of all redshirts at some point.
8/23/2017 12:39 PM
Posted by vhoward415 on 8/23/2017 12:39:00 PM (view original):
I've always wanted to be able to redshirt more than 3 players. I'd love to be able to have a roster of all redshirts at some point.
Yeah, I have wondered why they limit that too. If you want to not be as deep at a position and redshirt a couple more I don't see the problem there.
8/23/2017 1:01 PM
Posted by nitros on 8/23/2017 11:55:00 AM (view original):
I have a quick fix list, now for the long fix list. These are aspirations, so probably my title of "fix" is not that accurate. Either way, here are things I would like to see changed:

1. Length of Recruiting - Reduce the recruiting period by a couple of days.

2. Transfers - Put in place a transfer program, such that a player with certain attributes (you can take these from the scouting reports) is likely to transfer to a lower division if they do not get X (insert playing time, starts or so forth).

3. Transfer Recruit Period - This is a period after the end of the season, but prior to the new season. This is a "recruiting process" similar to the recruiting process you already have in place, but only for the "transfer pool". This will give coaches that are done with their season something to do.

NOTE: The concept comes from the great Wilk coaches in our chat sessions. Not my original idea, but I love it.

4. Expanded rosters - If you put injuries back in, please increase rosters by 4 (or some other number that makes sense).

5. Fumbles vs. Int - Too few Int's and too many fumbles IMO. If you have a QB with a certain GI with an FIQ above 70, you are never going to toss an INT. That seems not very realistic.

6. Better PBP - I am not a fan of full transparency. However, I do want information from which I can understand the system better. This can be accomplished through the PBP.

7. "Release Green Recruit" - There are situations where it is obvious that a coach has multiple "green recruits" and has no interest in them. At the coaches election, he should be able to "withdraw" from the recruiting process and push that recruit back in the pool. Since this is a coaching option, I do not see a downside and I think should be an easy thing to implement.

8. Re-alignment - The current conferences are not as accurate as I would like. That may be on purpose. If not, it would make for more enjoyment if the conferences were more accurate.

9. College Playoff - Match the 4 team playoff at 1A.

10. Elites - Put in place a process by which a BCS team can become elite and an elite team can become non-elite. If this is truly a "dynasty" game, I would think some coaches would find it challenging to take a team and turn them into an elite team over a considerable period of time.

Thanks for reading.

nitros (James)
Great list
My adds to your list.

Recruiting - change the cycles to every 8 hours instead of 3 hours.

Expanded rosters - bump by 10 to 60 total if injuries are reinstated.

Redshirts - 5 players each season with expanded roster of 60.

8/23/2017 2:35 PM (edited)
1. Leave recruiting alone (for now). It's the most-functional part of the game.
2. Do not reinstate injuries. Some aspects of realism detract from the game... that is one of them.
3. Do not expand rosters - the rich will only get richer. Instead of snagging Penn State's good back-up RB when he signs his top target, that guy will go to PSU with expanded rosters; not you. Under expanded rosters, lower-tier D-IA schools don't get nearly as many good players, because they're then occupying the bench on Elites and pseudo-Elites.
4. Yes to removing (or raising) the redshirt limit.
5. FIX ONSIDES KICKS! I almost lost a game (really, would've sent it to OT) due to four-straight onside kicks that went against me, where I was leading by 35 in the 4th Qtr. I also almost lost another game, not quite in such dramatic fashion, this past season with a series of two straight onside kicks against me. And I also won a Bowl game in Dobie today due to being on the good side of a successful onside kick, just to show it cuts both ways. Regardless, it's out of proportion with reality... and here's one place more reality would do good.
8/23/2017 2:56 PM
Posted by gt_deuce on 8/23/2017 2:57:00 PM (view original):
2. Do not reinstate injuries. Some aspects of realism detract from the game... that is one of them.
3. Do not expand rosters - the rich will only get richer. Instead of snagging Penn State's good back-up RB when he signs his top target, that guy will go to PSU with expanded rosters; not you. Under expanded rosters, lower-tier D-IA schools don't get nearly as many good players, because they're then occupying the bench on Elites and pseudo-Elites.
5. FIX ONSIDES KICKS! I almost lost a game (really, would've sent it to OT) due to four-straight onside kicks that went against me, where I was leading by 35 in the 4th Qtr. I also almost lost another game, not quite in such dramatic fashion, this past season with a series of two straight onside kicks against me. And I also won a Bowl game in Dobie today due to being on the good side of a successful onside kick, just to show it cuts both ways. Regardless, it's out of proportion with reality... and here's one place more reality would do good.
8/23/2017 5:33 PM

I would like to see coaches have recruiting advantages based on their success over the past 4 or 5 years. Maybe have a point value for prestige. If a coach wins a conference championship, they get a +1. Maybe a point for each round they advance in the playoffs, round 1 (+1), round 2 (+2) and so on. Not just a “vision” thing, but an advantage when recruiting against other coaches.

I would also like to see schools have a disadvantage for frequent coach turn over. Do recruits really want to go to a school where they may have 2, 3, or 4 coaches during their career? The team can still be good and get players, but maybe it’s harder to convince a player to commit.

Any thoughts???

8/23/2017 8:22 PM
Posted by jim19_72 on 8/23/2017 8:22:00 PM (view original):

I would like to see coaches have recruiting advantages based on their success over the past 4 or 5 years. Maybe have a point value for prestige. If a coach wins a conference championship, they get a +1. Maybe a point for each round they advance in the playoffs, round 1 (+1), round 2 (+2) and so on. Not just a “vision” thing, but an advantage when recruiting against other coaches.

I would also like to see schools have a disadvantage for frequent coach turn over. Do recruits really want to go to a school where they may have 2, 3, or 4 coaches during their career? The team can still be good and get players, but maybe it’s harder to convince a player to commit.

Any thoughts???

Too realistic for a game. In GD you have to keep the playing field as even as possible. Vision already gives the schools with better records an advantage.
Your ideas would just give the stronger teams more of an advantage and I think would discourage more players with poor teams or rebuilds and create more coaches to give up .
8/23/2017 11:53 PM
Any thoughts on adding Ju Co players into the mix?
8/24/2017 12:09 AM
I would like to carry over playoff/Bowl money over for new coaches taking over a new team:O)
8/24/2017 1:48 PM
Yea vikesrule.. I was thinking the same thing. Post season money should be tied to the team and it shouldn't matter if there's a coaching change.
8/24/2017 1:58 PM

Any thoughts???

Re #1: isn't that another rich-get-richer scheme? Maybe you meant it to be that way, but I would prefer tweaks that improve the competitive environment, not strangle it.

Re #2: I see a lot of talk on the forums about how hard it is to change jobs. Such talk seems to be without merit, but an idea like yours that disadvantages coaches changing jobs seems like a step in the wrong direction.
8/24/2017 2:13 PM

Any thoughts???

Uhhh... point #1 is already how it woks. Not with that exact system you suggested, but the premise is the same. And always has been. Recent success adjusts prestige, which then gives more (or less) weight to recruiting actions.
8/24/2017 2:47 PM
I would like to see the QB Rating in the player stats.
YPG, YPA, TDs, completion percentage: none of these really tell you who the best QB was.
8/26/2017 4:17 PM
Posted by gt_deuce on 8/23/2017 2:57:00 PM (view original):
1 agree, don't change recruiting
2 agree, don't add injuries back, but DO make fatigue and depth meaningful, current never-tired robot game is not football
3 agree, don't change roster size
4 disagree, current redshirt limit is fine
5 onside kicks do seem too successful but I don't know if that's just perception
8/26/2017 5:49 PM
123 Next ▸
Long Fix List - Attention New Owner Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.