LEAVE MY ELEVATOR ALONE Topic

Catching up to Wylie finally! :-)

My 2009 List.

1. Patterson Hood --- "Murdering Oscar (and other Love Stories)" (Flat out brilliant. I think it's as good or better than ANY release by he and his bandmates {Drive By Truckers} It rocks real real hard too, in a southern sort of grungee way lol)
2. Wilco --- "Wilco" (only it's simple charm keeps it from the top. Way deeper than the pleasantness of the overall. Takes repeated listens to fully get how cool it is!)
3. Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit --- self titled (The band was named after the address of their rehearsal space) This is a killer debut! Takes so-called country to an entirely new level! Big loss for the Drive By Truckers to lose this great a songwriter!)
4. Ryan Bingham & The Dead Horses --- "Roadhouse Sun" (Bluesy Americana. Roadhouse rock with a swagger!)
5. Brandi Carlile ---- "Give Up the Ghost" (Duvall/Carnation Washington artist's best? maybe!)
6. Mark Knopfler ---- "Get Lucky" (Solid LP that grows on you with every listen)
7. Son Volt --- "American Central Dust" (Farrar hits a groove by going a tad more country on this one. Son Volt's best!)
8. Bottle Rockets --- "Lean Forward" (This one pretty much rocks. Not a lot of slow ones either lol)
9. Sara Watkins --- "Sara Watkins" (The debut from the female member of Nickel Creek is just awesome. Produced by John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin and the recordings just sing!)
10. Todd Snider --- "The Excitement Plan" (I liked this one much better than "Peace Queer" Still not quite up to the early LP's, tho!)

Honorable mentions to:
Neil Young's "Fork In The Road" (a return to unpretentious quirky Neil doing what he wants! Good result!)
Neko Case "Middle Cyclone" (Good LP but I could have done without the 20 minute final track of cricket's "singing".......sometimes I can't tell when the disc ends and reality sets back in on my deck.........depending on the time of year and how many beers................. But I digress.
also
Blitzentrapper's "Black River Killer" is real cool,
Cracker --- "Sunrise in the Land of Milk and Honey" (No monster rock anthem on this release {Low} but solid rock throughout!)
Norah Jones' The Fall" is as lovely as she is.
The Rosanne Cash release "The List" is a real good LP of country covers. (The "list" is a list of songs her Daddy gave her that He felt were timeless classics he wanted her to know about)
The Mumford and Sons LP is excellent.
and 2 odd ones need mentioning. Tori Amos' weirded out again with "Abnormal Attraction to Sin" which is kind of interesting listening
and finally
a-ha released a good LP called "Foot Of The Mountain" that I dig!

Decent year from my perspective but pretty quickly along about the next few years I started buying much less new music!!

EDITED: to switch Bottle Rockets and Cracker! I much prefer the Bottle Rockets release. Can't explain why Cracker ended up on the list and not "Lean Forward" Brain fart, I guess.
12/18/2017 7:18 PM (edited)
real good list......i will listen to the lindsy buckingham.......i also left off dylan......i just cant take that voice by 2009 with ballads...otherwise it is a superlative album....
12/18/2017 3:32 PM
there is a goog article from 2001 about right of return and clinton attempt if you google arafat newsweek clinton right of return.
12/18/2017 4:03 PM
can't believe I left The BottleRockets and Lean Forward off of my 2009 list. It should definitely be there.
12/18/2017 5:48 PM
here's my very short 2010 list in no particular order:

Come Around Sundown - Kings of Leon
The Promise - Bruce Springsteen
Mojo - TP and the Heartbreaker
Grace Potter and the Nocturnals - Grace Potter and the Nocturnals
To The Sea - Jack Johnson
In Memory of Loss - Nathaniel Rateliff
An American Patchwork - Anders Osborne
12/18/2017 7:06 PM
2 of those will be on my list and one of them may be at the top!
12/18/2017 7:14 PM
please wait until we all have 2009 in...please wait on 2011 until we all finish 2010......i rank them....takes me a little more time.
12/18/2017 8:15 PM (edited)
Posted by dino27 on 11/17/2017 7:53:00 PM (view original):
i just saw that photo of flynn at that russian dinner with putin..i never knew that jill stein was at that table too......it just makes me wonder if she wasnt encouraged to run in order to take votes from clinton.......it suddenly seems possible.
just saw on news today that the senate is investigating jill stein's connection to russia.......i think this is a real thread....jill stein definitely siphoned off clinton votes...thus she served a goal of putin....was there coordination......i think there was.
12/19/2017 10:24 AM
a few things to know about tax bill :

1. corporate tax rate cuts are permanent....but
2. doubling of standard deduction EXPIRES in 2025.
3. individual tax cuts EXPIRE in 2025.
4. takes away the mandate...make no mistake about this...EVERYONE"S health insurance premiums will have to increase because of that.
5. school/property tax deductions now limited to 10,000.
6. medicare...medicaid.....social security.....other entitlements WILL be cut by republicans in 2018...they have said they will definitely do it.

there are other shocks to be analyzed.
12/19/2017 10:36 AM
Well, if it's good enough for "liddle" Bob Corker it should be good enough for everybody.

Bob Corker’s suspicious yes on the tax bill

IT IS HARD to say what is most damning about the process Republicans used to produce their $1.5 trillion overhaul of the tax code. Is it the suggestion by critics that a key senator dropped his opposition because of a last-minute change that would benefit him personally? Or is it his defense that the provision didn’t influence his support for the legislation because he never actually read the entire bill before changing his position?

The kerfuffle that followed the announcement by Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.) that he would vote for the tax bill when it comes up for a vote this week underscores the unseemly way legislation of such consequence has been cobbled together behind closed doors and with Democrats completely shut out. And the fact that real estate businesses would get a hefty tax break from the provision in question is further evidence of just how much the GOP bill tilts toward the wealthy.

12/19/2017 10:38 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by dino27 on 12/18/2017 8:15:00 PM (view original):
please wait until we all have 2009 in...please wait on 2011 until we all finish 2010......i rank them....takes me a little more time.
if there's too much politics discussion (and for me it doesn't take much to be too much) I may not wait. You can discuss what you want, but so can I!
12/19/2017 12:20 PM
Posted by wylie715 on 12/19/2017 12:20:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dino27 on 12/18/2017 8:15:00 PM (view original):
if there's too much politics discussion (and for me it doesn't take much to be too much) I may not wait. You can discuss what you want, but so can I!
you are incorrigible...stay to your other thread...you post there daily.
12/19/2017 12:21 PM
one of the things i like about doing the lists is that i end up holding certain artists in higher esteem...tom petty...springsteen for example......some groups like supergrass and my morning jacket ended up in more top tens then i expected.
12/19/2017 12:40 PM
hey hey american pie.
12/19/2017 1:37 PM
◂ Prev 1...118|119|120|121|122...530 Next ▸
LEAVE MY ELEVATOR ALONE Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.