3. PAUL MCCARTNEY - TUG OF WAR
4. X - UNDER THE BIG BLACK SUN
5. THE JAM - THE GIFT
6. TOM PETTY - LONG AFTER DARK
7. DEXY MIDNIGHT RUNNERS - TOO - RYE
8. XTC - ENGLISH SETTLEMENT
9. BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN - NEBRASKA
10. STRAY CATS -BUILT FOR SPEED

BUBBLING UNDER - RICHARD AND LINDA THOMPSON - SHOOT OUT THE LIGHTS........ROXY MUSIC - AVALON.....DURAN DURAN - RIO............JOE JACKSON - STEPPIN OUT..............A FLOCK OF SEAGULLS - A FLOCK OF SEAGALS
Some possible suggestions:
Peter Gabriel - Peter Gabriel
Prince - 1999
Warren Zevon - The Envoy
Don Henley - I Can't Stand Still
The Who - It's Hard
Huey Lewis & the News - Picture This
John Hiatt - All of the Sudden
Billy Joel - The Nylon Curtain
Dire Straits - Love Over Gold
John Cougar - American Fool

I know everyone loves Imperial Bedroom, but I think I'd put any one of the albums I mentioned on my top 10 list for 1982 before I'd put that on. I never really liked that album much, and I'm a big EC fan.
10/19/2017 2:25 PM
Wylie...i know where you are coming from on the elvis album.......it has some flaws....but it has so much richness also.
10/19/2017 2:30 PM
Posted by dino27 on 10/19/2017 1:17:00 PM (view original):

1. ELVIS COSTELLO - IMPERIAL BEDROOM
2. THE CLASH - COMBAT ROCK
3. PAUL MCCARTNEY - TUG OF WAR
4. X - UNDER THE BIG BLACK SUN
5. THE JAM - THE GIFT
6. TOM PETTY - LONG AFTER DARK
7. DEXY MIDNIGHT RUNNERS - TOO - RYE
8. XTC - ENGLISH SETTLEMENT
9. BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN - NEBRASKA
10. STRAY CATS -BUILT FOR SPEED

BUBBLING UNDER - RICHARD AND LINDA THOMPSON - SHOOT OUT THE LIGHTS........ROXY MUSIC - AVALON.....DURAN DURAN - RIO............JOE JACKSON - STEPPIN OUT..............A FLOCK OF SEAGULLS - A FLOCK OF SEAGALS
Dino........ you have some good releases in that list! 1982 was my 1st year in Radio. Early in the year I was still on a college station and could do free form music. Play anything I wanted!! It was the best gig I ever had on that score. By the end of 1982 I was spinning country, which was kinda OK with me by then because I hated the rock that was most played on radio at that time.

I'll give up a list, BUT I must qualify it some. I think M. Jackson Thriller was 1982 and though I don't (personally) like it much it's impact can't be denied and it was probably the biggest release of the year......... no accounting for the general public's taste, right?.......... nor (probably) mine.
Also, I know you don't include country but as country was kinda exploding then and as they were some good releases from that field, I might include some.

Anyway, here goes. In personal favorite order.

1. Donald Fagen "The Nightfly" (half of Steely Dan puts out a great LP!)
2. Nitty Gritty Dirt Band "Let's Go" (Very accessible/nearly pop contains Dance Little Jean)
3. POCO "Ghosttown" (Following a label switch a comeback LP of sorts with a much bigger edgier approach)
4. Bruce Springsteen "Nebraska" (Stripped down he proved to me that he was the real deal!)
5. Dire Straits "Love Over Gold" (Knopfler and Band in the midst of their prime!)
6. Fleetwood Mac "Mirage" (the follow-up to Rumours and just as smooth accessible pop-- contains Gypsy and Over You)
7. Glenn Frey "No Fun Aloud" (Very solid! overshadowed by Henley's I Can't Stand Still--this is the better LP from start to finish)
8. Bonnie Raitt "Green Light" (extremely underappreciated gem from Bonnie's long discography)
9. J.J. Cale "Grasshopper" (Solid solid folk blues with that signature groove throughout)
10. Dan Seals "Harbinger" (former pard of John Ford Coley goes folk/country on little known gem)

Honorable mentions:
McCartney "Tug Of War" (Solid but not up with the top of the catalog, ie Debut, or Ram or Red Rose Speedway)
T. Petty & the Heartbreakers (solid rock but not really one of the better petty efforts)
Joni Mitchell "Wild Things Run Fast" (Always solid releases from Joni thru this time period)
Van Morrison "Beautiful Vision" (Van still exploring the spiritual on this one, good late night wine drinking stuff)
George Thorogood & The Destroyers "Bad to the Bone" (still Bad to this day!)
Richard and Linda Thompson "Shoot Out the Lights" (mentioned above--- a solid classic. Still listen to this on LP, whenever I fire it up)
Michael McDonald "If That's What It Takes" (Voice of the Doobie Brothers goes solo effectively!!! Lots of collaboration with Kenny Loggins on this)
Chris Hillman "Morning Sky" (Solid effort from former Byrd/Flying Burrito Brother)

A couple of country mentions:

Billy Joe Shaver "Billy Joe Shaver" (Trust me, if you haven't ever heard of Billie Joe----- do a google!)
Gary Stewart and Dean Dillion "Brotherly Love" (outlaw gem!)
Merle Haggard "Going Where the Lonely Go" (Merle at top notch form with excellent material)

And a couple of odd ones.

Steve Winwood "Talking Back To the Night" (not well distributed but a real return to form and his voice was still awesome in 1982!)
and finally........ one I've been looking to find for 30 + years.. (I've never really heard it but just know it has to be awesome because how could it NOT be awesome to hear this voice live in 1982 while still vital...........
Alex Chilton "Live in London" (1982) If anyone has a copy of this please let me know!!!
10/19/2017 4:45 PM (edited)
bob...so happy to see your list...at work...ill comment later.
10/19/2017 4:41 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
i had a lot of the above in my 10 - 20......ill have to listen to the bonnie raitt..im a fan.....nightfly was a top 20 album on my list....i thought the tom petty was great...got good but not great reviews.. i thought the reviews were wrong....some great guitar stuff.....a bit of sameness on some songs but i like that album a lot.....1999 top notch....nylon curtain very good.
10/19/2017 6:11 PM
i dont think trump was intentionally insensitive...i think he was intentionally sensitive......but he cant do that well...it just isnt in his nature...not one of his skill sets.
10/19/2017 7:05 PM
That's why I posted earlier that it wouldn't have mattered if the soldier had been white. Trump wasn't doing a horrible job on purpose. He's just a horrible human being who can't find it in him to even imitate decency.
10/19/2017 8:38 PM
he doesnt have the way with words either........he doesnt have the verbal skills.
10/19/2017 9:59 PM
Alec Baldwin has said that's the key to his Trump impersonation. Trump's a guy "always searching for a stronger, better word—and he never finds it."
10/19/2017 10:31 PM
id like to know how the republican party defines middle class....i think they define it to be much higher then the normal definition but they dont tell you that.. big fake out......how will their tax cuts end programs that effect the real middle class....!
10/20/2017 12:05 PM
And now for your daily dose of fake news...

Retired ‘Navy SEAL’ praising Trump on Fox News was a fake

Fox News ran a story on Oct. 8 about a decorated Vietnam War Navy SEAL and glass artist who created an enormous presidential glass seal he hoped to give to President Trump. On Thursday, 11 days later, the network retracted the story after being told the Trump supporter never served in the SEALs or in Vietnam, much less earned commendations for his service.

In the segment, John Garafalo said he served in the Vietnam War with the U.S. Navy SEAL team. Fox News reported that he also received two Purple Hearts and about two dozen other medals for his service.

The man’s claimed record turned out to be a fabrication. It was first discovered by former Navy SEALs. Both these SEALs and family members of Garofalo contacted Fox News about the story, according to the Navy Times.

Don Shipley, a retired SEAL, told the Navy Times that he contacted Fox on Oct. 9, the day after the story ran.

But the story was still on the news outlet’s Facebook page on Oct. 19. By then it had amassed 1.5 million views.

Fox published a correction on Thursday.

So after being informed the story was fake, Fox waited 10 days to address it. And they won't issue an on-air correction until Sunday (13 days). Will Trump tweet that their broadcast license should be revoked?

10/20/2017 12:57 PM
it was obama's fault.
10/20/2017 1:09 PM
uninsured spiking again.........gop/trump - people are going to die........ first degree murder.
10/20/2017 1:31 PM
◂ Prev 1...68|69|70|71|72...530 Next ▸
LEAVE MY ELEVATOR ALONE Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.