LEAVE MY ELEVATOR ALONE Topic

any coincidence about trump trying to allow the killing of big game like elephants and his kids being big game killers.......i dont think so.....this is how the tax cuts are thought out too...everything he tries to do is to help him and his family.
11/18/2017 10:39 AM
MY 1998 LIST RANKED

1. ELLIOTT SMITH - XO
2. COWBOY JUNKIES - MILES AWAY FROM MY HOME
3. LUCINDA WILLIAMS - CAR WHEELS ON A GRAVEL ROAD
4. BELLE AND SEBASTION - THE BOY WITH THE ARAB STRAP
5. JULIAN LENNON - SMILE PHOTOGRAPH
6. CHERYL CROW - THE GLOBE SESSIONS
7. RINGO STARR - VERTICAL MAN
8. SEMISONIC - FEELING STRANGELY FINE
9. CHRIS ISAAK - SPEAK OF THE DEVIL
10. SLOAN - NAVY BLUES

11/18/2017 11:27 AM
Very eclectic list Dino! Those that I know are all excellent. As I said I bought (and listened) to less music in 1998, so my list should reflect that.

First off a nod to those we all agree on......... The Chris Isaak, Sheryl Crow, and Lucinda Williams are all "on" the list.
The others:
1. Lyle Lovett ---- "Step Inside This House" (A double CD full of great covers of other Texas songwriters. Contains a superb version of Townes Van Zandts' "Lungs", as well as "Flyin' Shoes", 2 or 3 other Townes' songs, a couple of Steven Fromholz, Guy Clark, etc........ perhaps the best double CD I own!)
2. Emmylou Harris ---- "Spyboy" (Emmylou teams up with a bunch of young "players" and goes edgy country. It's awesome)
3. Midnight Oil ---- "Redneck Wonderland" (One of the few rock pieces I bought in 1998 that I still listen to)
4. Jewel ---- "Spirit" (I liked this more than the big debut release!)
5. Willie Nelson ---- "Teatro" (Willie gets weird, and kinda latin)

Honorable Mention to The Dixie Chicks "Wide Open Spaces"......... It's got about 4 or 5 songs that hold up pretty well.

Down year for me musically. It might have been as much me as the year though..........
11/19/2017 4:43 PM
thanks Bob...i agree....very few albums to form a list from.....in doing my research for the lists i have found out that i hold tom petty and cowboy junkies in higher esteem then i realized.
if you start all albums from 1980 on and compare the careers of tom petty and springsteen ill take tom petty.
for anyone that is a serious beatles fan you will be very pleasantly surprised by the julian lennon album...of course not every song is great but there are a lot of very special songs...john lennon would have been very proud of him.
11/19/2017 5:17 PM
MY 1999 LIST RANKED

1. COUNTING CROWS - THIS DESERT LIFE.......for the desert island
2. TOM PETTY - ECHO - another great effort
3. PAUL MCCARTNEY - RUN DEVIL RUN - brilliant album...party music
4. WILCO - SUMMERTEETH - roger
5. BEN FOLDS 5 - THE UNAUTHORIZED AUTOBIOGRAPHY.....not your father's Elton John
6. APPLES IN STEREO - HER WALLPAPER REVERIE - best album title - so much wisdom. ...and maybe ( probably ) this is # 4
7. BECK - MIDNITE VULTURES - i wish it wasnt so obviously derivative and some dopey lyrics
8. SHELBY LYNN - I YAM SHELBY LYNN - hitting her stride
9. VAN MORRISON - he comes back like Rocky 6.
11/19/2017 7:39 PM (edited)
My favorite from '99:

Tom Waits: "Mule Variations"

The Sons of Lee Marvin is a tongue-in-cheek secret society devoted to iconic American actor Lee Marvin. The sole entry requirement for the club is that one must have a physical resemblance to plausibly look like a son of Marvin.

Founding member and film director Jim Jarmusch explained, "If you look like you could be a son of Lee Marvin, then you are instantly thought of by the Sons of Lee Marvin to be a Son of Lee Marvin".

The society's members perpetuate the joke in the media. Tom Waits described it to Rolling Stone in 1986 as "somewhere between the Elks Club and the Academy Awards", and claimed to have met Jarmusch at an annual meeting of the New York chapter. When asked about the society by friend and collaborator Luc Sante in a 1989 interview, Jarmusch commented "I'm not at liberty to divulge information about the organization, other than to tell you that it does exist. I can identify three other members of the organization: Tom Waits, John Lurie, and Richard Boes ... You have to have a facial structure such that you could be related to, or be a son of, Lee Marvin. There are no women, obviously, in the organization. We have communiques and secret meetings. Other than that, I can't talk about it." Jarmusch revealed in a 1992 interview that the real son of Lee Marvin, Christopher, had objected to the existence of the organization in an encounter with Waits at a bar:

Six months ago Tom Waits was in a bar in somewhere like Sonoma County in Northern California, and the bartender said, ”You’re Tom Waits, right? A guy over there wants to talk to you.”

Tom went over to this dark corner booth and the guy sitting there said, ”Sit down, I want to talk to you.”

So Tom started getting a little aggressive: ”What the **** do you want to talk to me about? I don’t know you.”

And the guy said, ”What is this bullshit about the Sons of Lee Marvin?”

Tom said, ”Well, it’s a secret organization and I’m not supposed to talk about it.”

The guy said, ”I don’t like it.”

Tom said, ”What’s it to you?”

The guy said, ”I’m Lee Marvin’s son”—and he really was. He thought it was insulting, but it’s not, it’s completely out of respect for Lee Marvin.
Jim Jarmusch, in interview with Film Comment, June 1992

Christopher Marvin, a professional drummer and the only son of Lee Marvin, featured as a guest artist on the song "Cold Water" from Waits' album Mule Variations (1999).

11/19/2017 11:37 PM
that was fantastic.....somewhere there is a card catalog deluxe that could be auctioned starting at a highly significant number.
i have always been enamored of the lee marvin look........sean connery james bond and lee marvin are my kings of cool.
11/20/2017 12:36 AM
charles manson is dead.......trump will be busy on wednesday......he has a funeral to attend.
11/20/2017 1:12 AM
I shouldn't be surprised, but every time one of you mentions an album I like that nobody I speak to has ever heard of, I am surprised. Shelby Lynne - I Am Shelby Lynne is a great album!
11/21/2017 12:05 PM (edited)
She has others, too! So I mentioned I kinda had an ebb of interest in music for a bit. 1999 is the year that a release came out that re-invigorated my interest in music and got me back into a lot of listening..... though I didn't actually discover it until very late 1999 and so all the listening actually commenced (again) in 2000. But I figure I better include that LP here as 1999 is when it was actually released. The short list.

1. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers --- "Echo" (My favorite Heartbreakers release prior to 2000 lol........ I was lucky enough to meet Benmont Tench after a show one time and got him to sign my CD of Echo...... it was the only thing of TP's I had on me at the time)
2. Wilco ---- "Summerteeth" (The 1st real solid release IMO)
3. Roger Clyne & The Peacemakers --- "Honky Tonk Union" (This got me back going to live shows and listening compulsively again)
4. Kevin Welch ---- "Beneath My Wheels" (Just a great singer/songwriter record)
5. Radney Foster --- "See What You Want To See" (This actually came out in 1998, but I did all my listening to it in '99, and I missed it last year. Pop/Country with some rocky spots and some touching spots....... a REAL good release and still a good listen. A couple of the songs have been covered by others over the years to good success...... Abra Moore did "I'm In" and somebody did "Raining On Sunday"....... I think it was Keith Urban, but I'm not sure)

Honorable Mention to Allison Krause for "Forget About It" as it introduced me to her voice, which I needed to get used to for some future musical enjoyment!
11/20/2017 2:11 PM
here's my 1999 list. I had a hard time coming up with this many.
I Am Shelby Lynne - Shelby Lynne
Supernatural - Santana
Central Reservation - Beth Orton
This Desert Life - Counting Crows
Mock Tudor - Richard Thompson
Echo = TP & the Heartbreakers
Run Devil Run - Paul McCartney
Come On New Social - Indigo Girls
Wilco - Summerteeth
11/20/2017 7:19 PM
AT& T has always been as corrupt a company as we have in the us of a........i dont know enough to comment on the merger issue but i will never have any sympathy for AT& T...i do like T & A.
11/21/2017 11:05 AM
Yea...... me too. You dog. I'm allowed. I'm old........ perceived as harmless....... kinda like H.W. .......... I hope...........
11/21/2017 11:45 AM
i dont begrudge h.w. an occasional blueberry hill moment......and you can picture it in your mind and somehow accept it..but think of how ludicrous, crazy and different it would seem if barbara bush was constantly cupping the *** of guys she was being photographed with......it would be seen as something different....you are right....guys are dogs and that is just the way it is....there is obviously a different standard.
11/21/2017 11:57 AM
I'd let Raquel Welch (she must be as old as momma Bush, no?) "cup" my arse anytime she'd like to.............
11/21/2017 12:07 PM
◂ Prev 1...99|100|101|102|103...530 Next ▸
LEAVE MY ELEVATOR ALONE Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.