Good to Great Advice Topic

Posted by nitros on 8/30/2017 6:16:00 PM (view original):

What are you plugging in when you create custom formations?
Don't you want your best players at their position on the field as much as possible? You can do that with the formations you are given.

The short answer is that I want my best players on the field for that particular play.

For example, if I am running the ball on an inside run, then I know the computer simulation is my OL (modified by FB) vs. DL/ILB. In this situation, I care about the following players:

1. My best inside RB.
2. My best running OL (STR being the prime attribute here).
3. My best blocking FB (that is a bit of an oxymoron, I know).
4. My best block TE.

I do not care about any other players, therefore I can toss in my backups at WR and QB.

Hopefully that makes sense.

nitros (James)

This is spot on.
9/1/2017 1:03 AM
Posted by paulsuberlak on 8/30/2017 6:16:00 PM (view original):
I think stamina has an impact on the success of a given play. On offense, why would you play your first string QB if you're going to run the ball? There's a slight decrease in the overall fiq of the players on the field but now your first string QB will be fresher for an additional play later in the drive. This could very well be an important third down.

I don't typically recruit a QB every year so there's a sizable drop in the passing effectiveness of my starter vs my backup, but I can get my backup QB 30-40% of the snaps and keep my starter fresh just by running the ball 1/3 of the time.

On defense it's not as easy to dictate these matchups but it's definitely possible and I think that's an area the best coaches excel at taking advantage of. I'm still learning and experimenting with what might work.
Yep. Great advice right here. It's not "realistic" compared to real football, but in GD it definitely helps
9/1/2017 10:33 AM
This was great. Thanks for putting your knowledge out there guys!!!
9/5/2017 11:04 PM
Posted by orangepace on 9/1/2017 1:03:00 AM (view original):
Posted by nitros on 8/30/2017 6:16:00 PM (view original):

What are you plugging in when you create custom formations?
Don't you want your best players at their position on the field as much as possible? You can do that with the formations you are given.

The short answer is that I want my best players on the field for that particular play.

For example, if I am running the ball on an inside run, then I know the computer simulation is my OL (modified by FB) vs. DL/ILB. In this situation, I care about the following players:

1. My best inside RB.
2. My best running OL (STR being the prime attribute here).
3. My best blocking FB (that is a bit of an oxymoron, I know).
4. My best block TE.

I do not care about any other players, therefore I can toss in my backups at WR and QB.

Hopefully that makes sense.

nitros (James)

This is spot on.
+2

This is an example of gt_duece's "coaching philosophy" in working practice IMO: Coach, every play.

For those who do not know where to find gt_duece's articles on this topic:
pinned "GREAT ADVICE FOR NOOBIES, VETS TOO"
9/7/2017 11:28 AM
no thnaks

got my own idears
9/7/2017 5:25 PM
Bag, Er, just for fun, maybe one of them should be speleen ? :)
9/8/2017 3:39 AM
◂ Prev 12
Good to Great Advice Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.