Knight - Pacific DIII Rebuild Topic

I took over a very bad Pacific team in Knight. Here is the story of the rebuild.

The team was in bad shape. I took over at the start of season 109. Prior to that, the team had only 6 human run seasons since season 14, and four of those were one-and-done's.

Still, we won 5 games, mostly on the strength of my genius coaching the two relatively decent seniors and one sorta decent junior on the team. Unfortunately, the seniors have to leave after this season (weird) so the cupboard is empty. Here is the roster:

Hoops Dynasty – College Basketball Sim Games - Rafael Parrott - Ratings - Knight - Hoops Dynasty Basketball | WhatIfSports

Hoops Dynasty – College Basketball Sim Games - Jeffrey Roberts - Ratings - Knight - Hoops Dynasty Basketball | WhatIfSports

Hoops Dynasty – College Basketball Sim Games - Christopher Gagnier - Ratings - Knight - Hoops Dynasty Basketball | WhatIfSports

Hoops Dynasty – College Basketball Sim Games - James Atkins - Ratings - Knight - Hoops Dynasty Basketball | WhatIfSports

EDIT: Links to cut players don't work. Deleted.
9/15/2017 6:39 PM (edited)
The plan was to cut everyone but Parrott, Roberts, and Gagnier. I ended up crunched for time and kept Atkins also.

For the first recruiting session, I felt like a kid in a candy store. Tons of good DI players were available. I was Moderate on a ton of guys and felt good about my chances. Then the second session crashed down on me like a ton of bricks. DI and DII schools picked off my two biggest priorities and I had to adjust my plans. I still think I ended up with a really good class when you consider the fact that I had to fill 8 spots and essentially every position. I signed 6, will sign one more at 8pm PDT tonight, and will take one walk on.

The breakdown:

Projected DI Center Walter Love
Love comes with a current Ath of 74 and big projections for Reb and Def. His LP will never be a strength but won't kill me. He will probably start at PF.

Projected DI Center Elbert Edgar
Edgar doesn't currently know how to play defense but his Ath and Def are both green and his 83 Reb will be a huge asset. He will probably start at C.

Projected DII Juco (3 years left) Guard Edward Copeland
Copleand isn't (and never will be) anything spectacular, but he has green in ball handling and passing and won't embarrass me on defense. He will probably start at PG.

Projected DII PF Jonathan Kelly
Kelly sucks based on his current ratings. But Ath/Spd/Reb/LP/BH/Pass are all green. I'm hoping he grows into something good.

Projected DII PF Joshua Carey
Carey isn't anything special. He might get some time at SF. He has good potential at PER/BH/Pass.

Projected DI SF John Daniels
Daniels is another player who won't be anything spectacular but plays good defense and will be able to score when his PER and BH reach their potential.

Projected DI PF Michael Jones
Grabbed another PF because he was the only one considering me with two cycles left. Good Ath and a chance to grow on Def, doesn't offer much else.

If I had more time, I'd get another guard, but it just didn't work out this time.

EDIT: Updated so links to new freshmen work.
8/31/2017 1:10 PM (edited)
I expect this team to go ~.500 in the coming year.
8/30/2017 6:10 PM
Put this in the Knight thread.
8/31/2017 11:54 AM
Those threads are ghost towns. Not sure what the harm is in posting it here.
8/31/2017 12:25 PM
UPDATE:

We're 4-18.

I still haven't really nailed down a starting lineup I like. Scoring has been an issue.

My zone defense has not been good. I hoped that it would allow me to hide a couple low defense shooters. But I'm allowing the highest FG% in the conference.

Oh well. Recruiting seems to be going well. I have three openings and several good players to choose from.
9/15/2017 6:35 PM
Switch jones with parrot. I would rather put your starting guards on getting tired than play gagnier with that god awful ath/def combo.
9/15/2017 8:33 PM
Pacific finished season 110 at 6-22, not great. Won a game in the conference tournament. But, things are looking up. The recruiting class turned out to be interesting. I picked up two small forwards with 60's athleticism and speed, 50's defense, and some good potential in other categories. I also grabbed a PG who might be good in two seasons.

Now, after winning both exhibition games against bad SIM teams, Pacific is just outside the top 25, listed as an "Others Receiving Votes" team with 1093 points. I'm one of the best 2 or 3 teams in my conference with only three upperclassmen.
10/3/2017 6:56 PM
Update, still season 111. Currently 11-5 but unbeaten in conference...that may change in about 15 minutes, tough game against Menlo coming up.

Not as good as I thought we'd be but the team is still super young and will be a beast next season.
10/12/2017 1:49 PM
If we maintain our current RPI of 63, it will be the best RPI the school has had since season 6 and its third best RPI ever.
10/12/2017 1:50 PM
Finished the regular season 19-7. Won the Eastern division of my conference and head into the conference tournament as a 1 seed on my side.
10/17/2017 3:45 PM
Love has ridiculous ath/def/reb for D3.
10/17/2017 4:15 PM
Posted by Benis on 10/17/2017 4:15:00 PM (view original):
Love has ridiculous ath/def/reb for D3.
Yeah, he's a stud. And he's only a Soph.
10/17/2017 5:34 PM
Made the NT as a 13 seed. Got bounced in the first round.
10/23/2017 10:33 AM
Ranked #11 in the first poll of season 112. This won't last. Somehow I'm ranked ahead of Menlo's monster team.
10/31/2017 5:29 PM
12 Next ▸
Knight - Pacific DIII Rebuild Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.