Friday Afternoon Musings Topic

1. Have at least 2 perimeter scorers and 1 low post scorer on your team if you want to go deep with anything but FB/Press.
2. Low post for slashers is insanely valuable. 40-60 at DII is insane.
3. Keep LP and Perimeter under 90 if your worried about the big board and it all get to 90-92 max.
4. If you have no idea how the hell to win a game but you have an outside chance, 15-25%, go slowdown no matter your play style and double the other teams best 2 scorers.
5. Don't be afraid to recruit role players that will never start.
6. Jucos suck at DI unless you can redshirt them. Unless one is a stud and plays your O and D.
7. If you redshirt a senior you get their APs twice.
8. Send Final ratings of every player you recruit (or think about recruiting) to a player (or players) better than you at the game and see what they think.
9. Don't be territorial. Recruit within a large radius.
10. When you play cubcub113 change to uptempo press no matter what you normally play. It goes really well for you. Trust me.
9/1/2017 8:04 PM
I had never considered No. 7 previously....
9/1/2017 9:04 PM
Good list, Joe.
9/1/2017 10:26 PM
I will remember #10 when Southern Mississippi travels to Weber State next season.
9/2/2017 12:32 AM
Posted by cubcub113 on 9/1/2017 8:04:00 PM (view original):
1. Have at least 2 perimeter scorers and 1 low post scorer on your team if you want to go deep with anything but FB/Press.
3. Keep LP and Perimeter under 90 if your worried about the big board and it all get to 90-92 max.
4. If you have no idea how the hell to win a game but you have an outside chance, 15-25%, go slowdown no matter your play style and double the other teams best 2 scorers.
6. Jucos suck at DI unless you can redshirt them. Unless one is a stud and plays your O and D.
8. Send Final ratings of every player you recruit (or think about recruiting) to a player (or players) better than you at the game and see what they think.
10. When you play cubcub113 change to uptempo press no matter what you normally play. It goes really well for you. Trust me.
good thoughts!
9/2/2017 10:52 AM
Posted by ftbeaglesfan on 9/2/2017 12:32:00 AM (view original):
I will remember #10 when Southern Mississippi travels to Weber State next season.
Please do. +5 also is recommended.
9/2/2017 3:53 PM
Unless you have a team in cali then juncos become part of the norm :-)
9/2/2017 9:04 PM
Posted by cubcub113 on 9/1/2017 8:04:00 PM (view original):
Lets review some of my ideas now that I am truly a veteran at this game:

I was able to talk about how stupid advice this is, but I actually haven't won a title yet with only 1 perimeter scorer. Maybe in D2/D3 this rule isn't as useful, but D1 it holds solid. If you only have 1 shooter it's really hard to win 6 games in a row when they're doubled against a -5. The good news is most people won't pull this out.
Yeah, this is a good one. The difference between 20 LP and 50 LP in slashers is so massive.
3. Keep LP and Perimeter under 90 if you're worried about the big board and it all get to 90-92 max.
This is just ridiculously stupid. PER is the most important rating to get from 90 to 100. But for LP this isn't that bad.
Double the other teams' best 2 scorers in normal games is also underrated. Also, playing -5 if in above scenario is a nice touch.
Couldn't +1 this enough. Baby cub was onto something. Better a guy be really good at something and really bad at something instead of decent at both things if they're not ever going to be a top 3-4 guy on your team. And this isn't BS, its functionally easier to gameplan.
This is a little too absolute, but I'm still not on the JUCO without a redshirt and either O or D train at all. I actually recruiting 2 nice big men JUCOs to Weber State right after I wrote this and they helped me drive my prestige up to B- and land some really talented players.
This is commonly known now, but great advice. You also get their money twice.
Obviously, there's a limit to this, but if you are struggling to consistently make the NT in D2/D3 then you really should be doing this 100% of the time. I'm always there to tell you why your players stink (or are really good).
Decent advice for D2/D3. But, my god, the first part of this is bad D1 advice. As a rule, I battle for any elite player within my home state at my A+ Illinois school. Being territorial helps in the long term for sure! Sometimes you can even adopt other home states if you are high prestige. As an example, mrslam (A/A+ prestige at Minnesota) has in the past been extremely aggressive in Wisconsin for the past 10/15 seasons, and I tend to respect that and stay away.
This is a good one! I usually recruit teams with poor bh/pa so I promise you uptempo/press will beat me 70% of the time.
12/4/2020 6:33 PM
Posted by pallas on 9/1/2017 10:26:00 PM (view original):
Good list, Joe.
I like that we were on first name basis even three years ago.
12/4/2020 9:17 PM
Posted by pallas on 12/4/2020 9:17:00 PM (view original):
Posted by pallas on 9/1/2017 10:26:00 PM (view original):
Good list, Joe.
I like that we were on first name basis even three years ago.
Little did we know we'd be in 3 conferences together a mere 3 years later haha
12/5/2020 12:53 AM
Friday Afternoon Musings Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.